close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lee - Load-Master Press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 73lndcrsr, Aug 5, 2010.

1. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,
    I am new to reloading and have done a ton of reading. I have decided to go with a Load-Master for my first press.
    I am starting with 9mm but will enventually get to .40, .45 and a few rifle loads.

I want to make sure that I am getting what I need and need some advice.
    I see the press on the Kempf site and it appears to have just about everything I need. I am adding the bullet feeder to the mix as well.

The main question I have is concerning the powder feed and can't seem to find the details I am looking for. Do I need something other than the basic feeder shown in the picture? Do I really need a scale if that works as advertised? I am thinking it would be best to have a scale regardless. Am I correct on that thought?

I am sure I will have more as I go and I apprecieate your feedback and knowledge.

This site is one of the best I have visited, just been lurking until now.

Thank,
    Brad

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Brad, Welcome to the reloading forum.

I'm not familiar with the LM press, others here are and will be here shortly. That being said, I will always recommend a reloader have a reliable scale on their bench. You don't want to be making what I like to label as "controlled explosive devices" without knowing exactly the amount of powder you are charging them with.

We have had several threads of late that dealt with various scales. Use the search function from the main reloading forum page to find them. There is a lot of useful information in those threads.

Again, welcome!

#2 PCJim, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr
    Expand Collapse

I will search for that, thanks for the info so far. I did see some to stay away from.

Looking forward to see how this all works.

4. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm
    Expand Collapse

You will get exactly what you pay for when you buy a press.

5. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Grab a Diet Pepsi, light up a smoke, sit back and relax, the BLUE Kool-Aid drinkers will be along shortly. Pay them no mind, they were all deprived of a joyous childhood and the lingering traumatic effects have manifested into a BLUE obsessive compulsive disorder.

BTW... get a scale, a good one. It's kinda like a short glass of scotch or prayer, neither one may help but they sure as hell don't hurt.

Good luck, have fun and be careful.

Jack

#5 GioaJack, Aug 5, 2010
  6. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15
    Expand Collapse

I've loaded thousand of 9mm and 40sw on mine with few problems. The case feeder works great. The powder measure uses cavities of varying sizes. It is not infinitely variable like others,but I have found that it work well.

One of the important things i ahve found is that the arms pushing the cases against the shell plate must be tight and check occasionally or you will get cocked primers and misfeeds.

I like Lee stuff and have not drunk the blue kool aid yet.

7. jwc17

jwc17
    Expand Collapse

8. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

See, Jack wasn't paying attention as a blue fan had already chimed in. And I did so without trying to sway the OP. Anyway, it must be close to 5 o'clock somewhere as he is already thinking of the scotch. :supergrin:

I've drank both green and blue koolaid, in that order, over a period of 25+ years. Each quinched my thirst very well, although I do prefer the blue.

9. coachg

coachg
    Expand Collapse

The LoadMaster is a fine press, though not perfect. The case feeder and shell collater work very well and end up costing about $30. Auto index is another nice feature.

The priming system can be troublesome but if you read the setup instructions and watch all the videos, you should be fine.

Below are some of my experiences with the primer sytem http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217571

You definately need a scale to verify the charges being thrown by the powder measure. I use the Lee Safety Scale. Once you figure out how to read it, it's easy. The conversion factors Lee gives for the charge disks are just estimates and I don't find them to be very accurate. The adjustable charge bar is a good addition and comes included with the powder measure upgrade kit which is a good investment. Makes it much easier to change disks.

Good luck with the press and welcome to the forum and the fun world of reloading.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Some Lee stuff is fine... their Single Stage is good, their Classic Turret is fantastic, their dies are really good(for the price), etc..

Frankly, I can't understand how anybody w/ the ability to Google, would even begin to consider a LoadMaster, but that's just me. I wish the OP luck w/ his decision. I know some people get them to run successfully, but even those people (when honest) will readily admit it's problems and faults.

BTW, I am not a fan of blue kool-aid, I've always thought it looked like toilet bowl cleaner, and could never bring myself to drink it.. :)

11. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jack

12. dday27

dday27
    Expand Collapse

Dillon-----Lee Loadmaster= Same results, When each one is set up correctly they both produce great rounds...Buy all means get yourself a scale...

#12 dday27, Aug 5, 2010
  13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

OK, now, which is easiest to get set up properly? Even LM lovers state that it requires constant adjustment and monitoring. I've read very few positive reviews of the LM priming system, most being it was positively a POS.

14. bush pilot

bush pilot
    Expand Collapse

Stating facts may prove distressing to some people.

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Just to add another data point to the discussion.

I watched all the videos. I did all the tricks. The LM was still a PITA compared to my Lee Classic Turret and to my 550. So it's not just a matter of watching some videos. They can still be a PITA. Some people have great luck. Others don't. Be sure to let us know after you have owned it for 6 months how many primers you have wasted running the thing. That type of thing. Just be honest. Don't sugar coat it. I hate it when people sugar coat things. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

16. glockaviator

glockaviator
    Expand Collapse

Get a bullet puller. The hammer ones are fine, so are the press ones. That way you can SAFELY take apart your mistakes. It's a safety issue.

You'll need a scale and a length guage. Later on you will need case prep stuff, but that can wait. You might want a primer pocket cleaner, though a screwdrive works.

Youtube has some good vidoes on handloading. Just type in your kind of press and enjoy. Some are quite funny and entertaining as well as informative.

17. Uncle Don

Uncle Don
    Expand Collapse
    Wood butcher

Gee Steve, you make it so hard to tell where you opinion lies. :whistling: As to suger coating - that seems code for "If I can't get it to run, or don't think it should based on my measurements, then no one can and if you claim to, you must be playing fast and loose with the truth.

I've had mine running successfully for years and have repeatadly written how to set it up properly. Proper die installation and full strokes are absoulte key with this press. There is remarkably few moving parts to it if you don't use the casefeeder. By my intitial count, it's 5 with two on the priming system, one on the index rod, one on the shell plate and one with the disc going back and forth in the powder measure.

To the OP: Buy a blue one, buy a red one - but whatever you buy, take the time to know how to set it up and understand how it operates and I think you'll be happy.

#17 Uncle Don, Aug 5, 2010
  18. glockaviator

glockaviator
    Expand Collapse

What +- are you getting on powder measure? Is there any way to weigh powder with a progressive? Is it even worth trying?

19. RustyFN

RustyFN
    Expand Collapse

You will want to go to this site. Uncle Don, Shadow and Darwin wrote the book on the Loadmaster and should have you running smooth in no time.

20. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate all the info, I have been spending time on that video web site and there seems to be a great deal of information to obsorb.

I also appreciate the advice to get a puller, had not really thought about that.

i will report back when I get this in and working (I hope).

If not, there will certainly be more questions, I don't give up easily.