close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Lee Classic Turret in action: I like it!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by JohnW1963, Jan 9, 2010.

1. JohnW1963

JohnW1963

Aug 13, 2008
    Illinois
    Lee Classic Turret Press Review

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM54KBOf4IY

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRn_twi9B0g&feature=related

also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpN9iYOyE8&feature=related

I'm just getting into reloading pistol and rifle, been reloading shotty since I was a kid. I had been thinking of going Lee Breech Lock Challenger single but after re-reading the sticky posts above and then searching YouTube and finding the above linked review of the Lee Classic Turret, I think I am sold on it! I can use it as a single if I want to, or have it auto-index and at Kempf's the Classic Turret Kit is only about $40 more than the Breech Lock Challenger kit. I can start slow and then later on speed things up a bit!

How consistent is the auto powder dispenser with the classic turret kit?

2. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I can't answer your questions but I bought the Lee single stage a couple weeks ago and I'm really happy with it. I got the Lee Reloading Book from Midway for about $14 and it has a lot of info on that powder dispenser you want to know about.

3. From what I've read, it seems like it depends on the powder being used. I have great/constant results throwing w231 with the perfect powder discs. Even the directions say flaky powders could throw light in under .40cc. Welcome to reloading! I like my loadmaster alot!

4. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    The pro auto disk is very consistent with smaller powders, I haven't use it with Unique or any other coarse powder. I have been loading on my classic turret for around four years and am very happy with the press.

5. The Pro Auto Disc and Adjustable disc work great with ball , flat ball and the like powders. The lowest consistant charge I can throw is 3.1 gr W 231 with the disc. I havent tried any AA that low.
    The adjustable disc gets a little iffy on the low side but works very well.
    Loads of fun to ya.
    The LCTP is a Super Value

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  6. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    Have just purchased one to replace my Lee single stage breech lock press.The Lee Classic turret is excellent value for money and has speeded up the reloading process considerably.

7. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Here
    The classic turret is a wonderful press. Keep in mind that if you decide to get the Lee Safety Prime you will also need the Lee Auto-Disk Riser so the autodisk will not hit the Safety Prime unit. If you are going to load more than 1 caliber, get extra turrets so you can leave your dies setup.

8. jwc17

jwc17

May 24, 2009
    Mine drops 4.6 grains of Winchester 231 for 9mm rounds and 4.9 grains of Winchester 231 for 45acp rounds with amazing accuracy and consistancy. I tried using Lee's adjustable charge bar but did not have much luck with it, so I went back to using the disks that come with the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measurer.

I considered buying a progressive press, but I load 150 to 200 rounds a week and can easily load 50 rounds on my LCT in 15 minutes so I could not justify it. Switching caliburs only takes a few seconds and you have a lot more control with the LCT vs. a progressive press, so pulling the handle four times vs. once for each round is worth it to me.

I like everything about my Lee Classic Turret Press. It's a great system and Kempf is a great vendor.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Ok, I like the LCT, but did that guy actually say you can "easily load 500 rounds an hour" at about 7:05 of video 2?

IGF

10. i have a lee turret press and have had good luck with it...although if i had they i would have a dillion!!!!

11. srd

srd

Apr 4, 2009
    As you are finding out the Lee is an excellent investment . I have 2 of them that are at least 18 years old. You are correct about using it slowly or putting in the shaft to speed things up. The powder measure is quite accurate for what it is. Ball powders work real well. Flake powders can be iffy such as Unique. All the AA powders for pistol usage also flow consistently in my opinoin. Have fun and good luck.

12. jwc17

jwc17

May 24, 2009
    I suppose you could do 500 in an hour if you worked really fast.

I like to work in blocks of 15 minutes so I can concentrate and not get fatigued.

50 rounds on the LCT every 15 minutes allows me to check powder weight and overall length several times and pull the handle at a reasonable pace.

I got caught up thinking about how nice it would be to be able to crank out rounds on a progressive press a while ago, then realized I really have no reason to rush.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    LOL... Sorry, not buying that one. I don't know if he intentionally imbelished that, or just got confused(he sounded a bit nervous for whatever reason)...

If you hit 200rds on an LCT, you are really moving. 250 to me seems almost completely impossible, let alone 500. He might be getting a little faster, because he is priming off of the press, but even then where he only has to seat a shell and a bullet, I can't see 500 an hour, and I guarantee you it would not be easy.

IGF

14. chineseboxer

chineseboxer

Jan 30, 2009
    New England
    I have the LCT Kit and love it. Currrentl loading 9mm &40sw. The powder measure is VERY consistent with the powder I use (win 231). I think for the $$ it is the way to go.

15. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    I have to agree. I don't like to hurry and load at a comfortable pace. If I sit down for one hour I load close to 200 rounds. If I sit down for three hours I am around 500 rounds. I'm not buying 500 per hour.

16. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Jan 24, 2004
    Midwest
    When I get into the swing of things, I can load at the rate of four rounds a minute without much trouble which is a 240 round an hour rate. Frankly, I've never loaded more than more than I intend to shoot and usually load 100 rounds. I'm done with that in slightly less than a half hour so I figure I must be keeping close to that rate.

You develop a system and mine is that after I prime, I operate the press with my right hand while I grab a bullet and by the time time I have it ready, it's already charged and flared. While the bullet is seating, I grab a case while it goes through the factory crimp die and when it's done, I simply swap cases and put the finsihed one in the bucket while sizing the new one. I tend to try and combine efforts as much as possible so four rounds a minute isn't a push for me.

My LM is set for 45 only and I'm done with a box of those in under 5 minutes and that is with me feeding the cases.

17. Warhorse

Warhorse

Jun 19, 2004
    MI
    I load a hundred rounds of pistol ammo in about 45 minutes on my LCT, then I go upstairs and take a break, I keep this up till I've loaded 500 rounds, then call it quits for that day.

18. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Indy, what the hell is your avatar wearing now?

Jack

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    :rofl:

Well Jack, in case you didn't know, a Penguin(as all of my avatars are), is a mascot for Linux, a geek operating system for PC's. That particular one happens to be a Penguin masked as a Memory DIMM. Most versions of Linux have much lower RAM requirements than Windows, thus the "Low on Ram" comment :)

IGF

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  20. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

I thought Linux was a Charlie Brown character... the one with the blanket. Now I'm really confused... where's my scotch, I might as well have a good reason for not knowing what's going on. :dunno:

Jack