close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LED upgrade for Glock tatical light?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by ducdungt, Jan 4, 2009.

1. AJ Dual

AJ Dual

Mar 16, 2004
    Wisconsin
    LOL yes it is. And I have a few of them. (and if this fails and/or I butcher the GTL 10 beyond repair, I'll be getting another TLR-1... :whistling: )

However, there's a couple of reasons to at least try and modify a Glock light.

1. There seems to be at least some anecdotal evidence that the GTL 10/11 lights don't cause the frame flex/weight issue which can cause cycling issues in certain Glocks.

2. To embarrass Glock into getting with the program and sticking an LED in there.

3. Some people might want a Glock light, just for the sake of being "correct" in keeping the same look/brand together, but want LED output.

4. If you look around, GTL 10's can be had for $50 at times, and from sources like Deal Extreme, LED modules go for as little as $8. If you don't mind your own skull sweat/effort, that's still almost half the price of a TLR-1.

2. Sffred

Sffred

Jan 26, 2013
    Bump for any success?

3. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

Jan 19, 2007
    Schnitzelhausen
    Superextremelatebump

Wondering if anyone ever saw a GTL successfully converted to LED

4. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nov 21, 2004
    Texas
    At this point, I doubt anybody would want one. Way too many smaller and better options out there in the 200-500 lumen range.

5. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

Jan 19, 2007
    Schnitzelhausen
    of course there are better ones out there, but it would still be interesting. My department has hundreds of safariland holsters and gtl lights. They wont change to something new anywhere in the next ten years. A LED dropin would definitely be an option.

6. Rowdy214

Rowdy214

Sep 19, 2014
    I have successfully installed an easy led upgrade to the Glocks dim halogen predecessor. Terralux makes an led upgrade for the maglite mini. It has the same two pins that the halogen bulb uses. They are a slightly longer so I recommend trimming them evenly to the length of the original bulb. The led fits perfectly in the reflector. I have a gtl10 BTW.

7. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

Jan 19, 2007
    Schnitzelhausen
    Thanks for the info Rowdy

8. Vtwin1200

Vtwin1200

Feb 5, 2015
    Rowdy,
    The mini maglite is powered by 3Volts from 2xAA. Did the LED not immediately burn up when powered by the 6Volts from 2xCR123? Did you use a dummy battery? How is the LED holding up now?

9. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Believe it or not your defensive light can be TOO Bright. 100-150 lumens is more then enough, more then that and you risk too much splash back where the light will illuminate you. I picked up a nice little 150 lumen light at Lowe's with a Temporary ON button which works great for "Tactical" use for $10 bucks. It seems as rugged and reliable as anything else I've seen and for $10 bucks you can buy 3 or 4 of em' and have them placed around your house so you'll always be near a light when you need one.
    Lowe's also has some more powerful ones as well and they come in handy for outdoor use but indoors stick with around 100 lumens and you'll have more then enough light.