close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Leaving Magazines Loaded

Discussion in 'Valuable Info' started by jonathon, Sep 10, 2005.

1. americandude

americandude

Apr 8, 2006
    Awsome Thread!!!
    I've been looking for this exact info.

I was told by a police officer once, that him and his fellow officers always load their mags to 1 less than full (12 in a 13 round mag etc.). They do this because it lowers the potential problem of a mag spring breaking. Is it common for police officers to do this? Is it common for springs to break?

Thank's again, to you all, for the valuable info.

2. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

Mar 28, 2006
    I think that's just personal ritual kind of thing.

Never heard such a thing being implemented officially/professionally.

3. americandude

americandude

Apr 8, 2006
    OK.

Thank you.

4. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

Mar 28, 2006
    I've heard about an older generation of mags wearing out with he +2 extensions however. But this wasn't a consistent problem either, just with some people. If you're not modding your mags with the +2 extension and/or they're not used mags, you have nothing to worry about in my opinion.

5. americandude

americandude

Apr 8, 2006
    Good.

6. My G21 Duty mags stay loaded 24/7

I used to use them for competition too, so they would get unloaded and reloaded with ball ammo for the match, then reloaded with Hydrashock at the end.

Now I have a extra set of mags, so the only time the duty mags get unloaded is during qualification (use the old duty ammo to qual with).

I have never had a problem with them and they get the crap beaten out of them on my belt.

My AR15 mags stay loaded constantly as well, but department policy is to download by two. So I keep 28 in my 30 rounders 24/7.

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    If leaving mags loaded was a real problem, all of us would be constantly buying new mags to replace the "worn out" mags. That is not the case.

:supergrin:

8. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Jan 12, 2007
    outside the wire perimeter.
    Years ago my military trained brother advised/taught me to "cycle the ammo" in my clips and always leave it one round short if I ever used an M-15 or M-16. (This was for early models' (ca.60's) jamming heart-aches that were caused and or associated with the exact tolerances of these two weapons.) He said by simply "cycling my ammo" (rearranging) the ammo in the clip, i "NEVER" had to worry about a magazine spring not functioning in other type of weapons.

I do it to this day and I dont have problems.

By the way, I have used the ORIGNAL Glock magazine that came with my first G-22, which I received in 1999, although not on purpose I have "beat up" this G-22 as a side arm for almost 8 years. Although I now carry a newer Glock for self-defense, I use my "old" G-22 as a sidearm for hunting and practice at the range. IT STILL USES THE ORIGINAL MAGAZINE WITH NO PROBLEMS. All I have ever done is "cycled my ammo." (Brother Skip, if you read this, thanks for that info!)

9. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Jan 12, 2007
    outside the wire perimeter.
    Sir,

It bothers me that you have your personal protection weapon being set "on stun."

"Lock and load!"

10. windpipe

windpipe

May 12, 2007
    Alaska
    glock springs can be kept loaded year after year. They are manufactured to handle this. My 1911 magazines suggest I replace the spring after one year of being continuously loaded.

11. Glockdude1

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    Your Mags "told" you this?????

J/K, could'nt resist.........

:laughabove:

12. windpipe

windpipe

May 12, 2007
    Alaska
    ya. doc says i'm ok just as long as the gun doesnt start telling me things.

13. trover

trover CLM

Jun 8, 2007
    AZ and WI
    This is really good info and contradicts much of what I've previously been told rather convincingly. Thanks very much.

14. Glockdude1

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
  15. Scouse

Scouse

Jul 7, 2002
    Orlando
    The best follower ever made by Glock, for the 9mm, #6 the end of the spring fits inside of it, push the nose of the follower down, no tip what so ever, it just moves down wards, smooth as you like.

While you order those, might as well get new springs also, not that expensive. I am.

16. Glockdude1

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    :agree:

The #6 followers work the best. I put them in all of my G22 mags. Glock quit making the #6's. All new mags come with #8's.

:thumbsup:

17. zukworld

zukworld

Jun 22, 2007
    I think I have the record for this thread.

After moving to California, I went 10 years without shooting. The whole time my G17 original series #BAxxx was in the factory box, with both (17rd) mags fully loaded with Winchester Hydro-shock.

Took it to the range, fired all 34 w/out mishap. (then reloaded and shot the rest of the box.) BUT the slide failed to lock open on the empty mags.

So I had all the springs replaced, bought 2 more 17rd mags, and have been very happy since. Now I usually load only 16 as the last round is very difficult to load with my stock clip loader. For me, it's not worth the effort to get the last one in.

I also took the opportunity to have an extended slide release installed, as I find it very hard to reach with my short thumbs.

Love shooting my G17, wish I'd bought the G19 at the same time.

z

18. 15AcreWoods

15AcreWoods

Jun 24, 2007
    Central Oklahoma
    I have been told not to keep magazines loaded by experts. I have not had extensive experience with centerfire automatics being a wheel gunner, but I do have a Ruger Mark I I have had since the 60s. I have two magazines for it and have kept them loaded for for 40 years + and have had no problems with failure to load. This may be comparing apples to oranges but they are both fruit so there may be some connection.

19. glockman2005

glockman2005

Apr 18, 2005
    usa
    I called Glock last year about this magazine question. I was told by a G tech that you should unload a Glock mag every 6 mos. & let it sit for 6 mos. good enough for me.

20. I keep the two factory 17Rd. and a Scherer 33Rd. full all of the time. No problems.