close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Leave it up to the Marines.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by glockenturm, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tnhawk

tnhawk

Oct 25, 2009
    SW Tennessee
    My M9 has been a good range pistol, but I'd prefer a 1911 45 acp when my life depends on it.

2. RUT

RUT

Jan 30, 2002
    New Hampshire, USA
    Hey, I like 1911's, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

3. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Dec 5, 2011
    N. Florida
  4. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    The Lippard looks like an interesting weapon, but sights marked to 375 yards? I hope that was a typo. It will be interesting to see if they get the contract and how they work out if the Marines go that way. The SA and Colt look like copies of each other.

Glock is still my first choice for SD but I would take a good 1911 (especially with hardball) over a Beretta.

My only other question would be how tight are these made - can they eat dirt like the old 1911 could?

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Nothing really new there,.........many Marine units have stuck
    with the 1911 over the years.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    Good article and good for them. If my life depended on it, I'd go with a 1911.....oh wait, I carry one everyday. :thumbsup:

ETA: Just saw the price of the Lippard. At almost $5k a pop that uses special made parts, I just don't see that one happening.

What I don't understand is, if they want a railed 1911, why don't they consider this highly recommended work of art right here?

[​IMG]

or the toned down version for night ops
    [​IMG]
    :rofl:

7. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    the 1911 thing for the marines is a specail ops only thing so the rank and file still get the m9- which in my experience (2 combat tours Iraq and Afghanistan) is a perfectly fine 9mm- size and weight don't matter that much with open carry

8. Very interesting! I've often wondered, however, why the Corps is so married to the 1911 platform.

9. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    but don't they know the 1911 isn't suitable for "the modern battlefield?" :upeyes:

10. Rumor mill.

I am a die hard 1911 fan but there are better pistols suited for military applications. 99.9% of the time, this sidearm will be on the hip/thigh lugging weight on top of the already heavy body armors. give me a Glock anyday in the sand box

11. Teej

Teej

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd be interested in knowing, from all of you currently combat active.... how many or which combat soldiers actually are issued and carry side arms??????????

12. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    TEEJ- at least in the Army (I retired a couple years ago) the MTOE (modified table of organization and equipment) was a list of what each unit was authorized to have on hand and what small arms were assigned to each duty position. When we went to Iraq (2004-2005) we had weapons initially assigned by MTOE. I was issued an m9. long story short right before leaving to go overseas they suddenly found extra rifles to give us. That was an infantry unit.
    when I went to Afghanistan in 20008, I was in a light cavalry unit and every soldier was mtoed both an m4 and a pistol.
    Like in past conflicts mtoe starts to fall by the wayside. most of our efforts in Afghanistan right now are training teams I know for a fact every member of these teams is issued a pistol.
    While some may justly debate the value of a pistol in the big scheme of things having a plan b is always reassuring. Also when onm american bases you are always required to carry a weapon and it is much easier to get around base just carrying the pistol.

13. random southpaw

random southpaw

Nov 7, 2011
    With my tongue firmly in cheek: Yeah, how dare our Marines adopt the most combat effective pistol?

14. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    When I first started reading about this a couple of years ago, I thought it was basically a ploy to ditch the 1911. Ie:

They'd have the trials and conclude that there was no suitable COTS replacement.

Get approval to test other pistols.

Find a [different] pistol that passed and then get approval to fund a complete change of pistol.

But it looks like they're really gonna stick with the 1911. Maybe not the easiest thing to understand, but hell, if I had the taxpayers funding my gun habit, I'd be rockin' a 1911 too!

15. glockenturm

glockenturm

Jan 26, 2010
    ATX
    I think it's more of an Esprit de corps thing. Let the spec ops guys stand out from the crowd. Let them have some input.

If it makes them feel good and gives them confidence then good for them.

16. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    I wouldn't hesistate to carry one, I just wouldn't like the weight after awhile. That would be my only real complaint.