close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Leather conditioner, oil, cream to break in new holster?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by AGAF, Jun 25, 2011.

1. AGAF

AGAF On a Journey

Oct 2, 2006
    Texas
    Does anyone know of any type of product that you can apply inside a new leather holster to make it more "slick"? Something that will reduce the friction and allow for a faster draw without the firearm "sticking"? I've read about some type of silicone spray, but I don't know if that is advisable on leather.

2. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I would wrap the unloaded gun in a couple plastic grocery sacks and then wear it around the house like that for a day or so. I'm not a leather expert, but I've used the plastic sack routine on a couple different holsters with good results.

3. TheRogue

TheRogue

May 25, 2009
  4. AGAF

AGAF On a Journey

Oct 2, 2006
    Texas
    I was doing some searching and found this. It is Galco's Draw EZ

DRAW_EZ2.jpg

Wonder if anyone has tried something like this.....

5. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

Sep 11, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I'd feel a bit uneasy using a "home remedy".

Galco makes fine leather holsters. I would not hesitate to use their product if I felt the need.

All I have ever done with the two or three leather holsters I own is to holster and unholster the gun hundreds of times while sitting in front of the TV. No need to wear it.

6. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

Dec 25, 2010
    Umm, Earth!
    best method is to use two layers of wax paper with the wax on the outside contacting the leather and not the gun. wrap the gun and insert it into the holster. repeat the motion a couple of time and leave it overnight to impregnate and you would be how surprise it works.

7. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

Dec 25, 2010
    Umm, Earth!
    forgot to mention, its safe on the leather, safe on the gun, cheap and very effective. leave all the miracle and hoodini formulas :)

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    When I bought my High Noon, the instructions said not to use any oils, etc.. to loosen it...

I took and just sat in front of the TV one night, just inserting/removing the firearm from the holster over and over, and it loosened up pretty good. After that, it just got better w/ time.

IGF

9. No, no, no, a thousand times no! Do not put anything on a leather holster. Break it in by working your pistol in and out. If you must use a break-in aid, wrap the portion of the gun contacting leather with wax paper. Once you stretch leather, there's no going back.

10. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    This is what I do too...except I just leave it in the holster, versus wearing it around the house:supergrin:

Seems to work well. I would not think you'd want it too "slick".

11. tactom

tactom

Jan 26, 2010
    Orange Park FL
    Have used Galco DRAW-EZ on 2 leather holsters. Works great. Applied twice to holster. Let it absorb between applications (5 minutes). Left no residue and big difference in draw from holster.

12. Edmo01

Edmo01

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    [​IMG]

This stuff works on guns, leather, wood, etc... Just not suede. If you treat leather it will darken.

Edmo

13. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    I put my gun in a sock (regular old gym sock) and put it in my holster for a day or so. All done...everything works great now.

14. reppans

reppans

Mar 2, 2011
    +1...

15. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx
    wet the holster down and wrap the firearm in wax paper or plastic wrap and insert it into the holster and wiggle it a bit and keep doing that until it dries. go ahead and say it OMG wet it....... yea wet it down the same way you make one and form fit it to the gun.
    I make all my own holsters, leather bags, saddle bags and knife sheaths for 15 years+ I never store buy...... I love the homemade look

16. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Plastic bag overnight followed by a few hundred draws.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana

That is the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard, and it's a great way to ruin a perfectly good holster. If it has worked for you, great... recommending that to someone else is absolutely ludicrous.

Unless they sent him a holster that was the wrong holster for his model firearm.. There's no reason to "reform it"... It just needs worked a little bit... Ever get a new baseball Glove as a kid? Easiest way to break it in, was to sit and open/close it for a few hours. Same mentality applies to a holster.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  18. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx

Like I said there is always one in every crowd. The holster was formed by wetting it down and holding it in place until it dries. it didn't wreck it then and it will not wreck it now. leather has a natural oil in it and IF you are going to freek because it got wet., oil it down

just a little FYI, I ride my m/c in the rain and my saddle bags get wet over and over and they are just fine. 10 oz saddle grade leather is tougher then you think. my 15+ years working with leather tells me so.

When I was a kid we saddle soaped new gloves to soften them but the best way is to use them

one more thing....... geeze I wonder how they got the glove to hold it's shape?............. wet it down and mold it, wet it down and sewn it to

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    THATS THE DIFFERENCE.

You're giving advice that goes against the advice of every leather manufacturer, to their customers. If you're making your own holsters, and that is part of your forming process, that is a lot different.

IGF

20. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx
    Another part of the holster making process is the finish. Tanning or dyeing the leather locks in oils and repels water. Wetting the holster down one time and letting it dry is not cardinal sin. You never got caught in the rain with a gun on? Cowboys didn’t stop tending the cows because it rained and there leathers (chaps, saddle, gun holsters would get wet) no; they keep on working and oiled their stuff down afterwards.
    Mfg’s are not going to tell you to wet a holster down because some yahoo will deform it and they will complain about it being defective. Like I said get it wet and slide the gun it and wiggle it a little as it dries it will retain the shape and loosen up