close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Leaded .45 Ammo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Vozella, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Vozella

Vozella

I've asked this on another forum also. How bad will it hurt, if any, my G21 to put about 750 swc leaded ammo through it? I picked up the ammo about 10 years ago and used it in a 1911 without problems. I hate to waste the ammo but do not want to destroy my G21 either.

2. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

There are a couple issues you may need to deal with first.
    1 The Glock feed ramp is not conducive to use with the SWC profile. If the round actually feeds without modifying the ramp I will be SHOCKED.
    2 The rifling in the OEM barrels is not conducive to use with lead bullets. If you insist on shooting lead anyway I highly recommend you FIRST remove any copper fouling. Once you start shooting the lead do not shoot any jacked or plated ammo before completely removing the lead fouling.

3. Vozella

Vozella

Sounds like the smart thing is don't shoot the leaded SWC. BTW, would the SWC jam and cause the fired round to FTE? I had several FTE's with my 1911 using the SWC lead.

4. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

The Glock feed ramp was not designed to feed SWC. There is not a problem at all. It simply was not designed to fire SWC.

It’s the same thing as wanting to use your car to haul pigs, goats & cows to market? Yah sure, you can modify a car to do that, but what the heck? Wouldn’t a truck be better right from the start? If you want to shoot lead bullets pick up an after market barrel (preferably LWD) and use a truncated bullet profile.