close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lead Removal

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by attrapereves, May 17, 2014.

1. attrapereves

attrapereves

I've been shooting up some 185gr LSWC rounds that I have left over from my 1911 days out of my Glock 21. I noticed that there is just a little bit of leading forward of the chamber. Luckily, the rest of the barrel is perfectly clean.

Only reason I'm shooting them is just to shoot them up.

My local stores don't carry Chore Boy, but they do carry Scotch Brite copper pads. Will these work for removing the lead?

These: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Scrubbers-Sponges-Scrubbing/dp/B00JVXZB2O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1400353763&sr=8-7&"]Amazon.com: 3M Scotch Brite Scrubbers & Sponges (Copper Scrubbing Pads 2Pk): Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y0uTFHctL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Y0uTFHctL[/ame]

On a side note, is leading near the chamber a sign of too much velocity or too little? These loads had no leading in my 1911.

2. unclebob

unclebob

If they are 100% copper? Yes.

3. norton

norton

Don't use them unless you are sure they are 100% copper.

4. attrapereves

attrapereves

I've been reading some negative things about them on the cast boolits forum. I think I'll try to locate Chore Boy.

5. Mangomike

Mangomike Lots of Glocks

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  6. SJ 40

SJ 40

Chore Boy states that the composition of there pads is 99.9 Copper.
    I know Ace hardware stores carry them. SJ 40

7. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

That is purported to be very bad. Supposedly it packs the lead into the rifling and makes it near impossible to get out. My Beretta armorers' manual even warns against it.

That said, I used to do it for years before I "knew better". Frankly, I still do it now and then on the rare occasion that I have a load that leads. Based on Beretta's warning, I won't advise anyone to do it, but, I have found that it works very well.

8. attrapereves

attrapereves

Exactly where I found them. It took quite a bit of arm work, but I was able to get the lead out.

I'll be glad when these bullets are used up! I think I've got only about 300 left.

9. unclebob

unclebob

Everything that I have read also is don’t shoot jacket bullets out of the gun after shooting lead in, trying to get the lead out.

10. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

11. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Deleted

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  12. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Copper on top of lead doesn't sound like an easy removal in your future. I'd avoid the procedure if possible. Then again, after using the Chore Boy, there is still some minute lead particulate left in the barrel of my Sigs. Guess the ultimate cleaner is some mercury.

Not all of them. Here in S FL, the store I frequent doesn't (or at least we haven't found them in the store yet).

13. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah, an old shooters tale. As WT notes, you are only ironing the lead into the rifling & worse, plating copper over the top. This only makes lead worse when shooting ear again.
    Chore boy, a bit of kroil oil, 4-5 passes with that, oiled patch done.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  14. attrapereves

attrapereves

Mine doesn't. Apparently people use them as filters in crack pipes, so they are getting hard to find. My local Ace hardware keeps them behind the register so that people don't steal them.

15. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Just like there is steel wool, there is copper wool. Home Depot should have it near the other abrasives. There's also brass wool which might work better.

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Same here - I found those when I was grocery shopping, but after a little reading I'm going to Walmart for the ones that say "Pure Copper" on the label.

17. unclebob

unclebob

If you have a stainless steel or Glock barrel you can mix 50/50 of vinegar and hexagon peroxide, and let the barrel soak for no more than 10 minutes. Then rise real, real well. This will get rid of the lead in a barrel also. A lot safer than using mercury.
    Remember 10 minutes is max. So don’t put it in then walk off and forget about it. Unless you would like to buy a new barrel.

18. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I wouldn't go more than 3 minutes and use it only as little as possible unless you consider a barrel a wear item. My buddy pitted his SS barrel pretty bad with that solution when he let it go too long (longer than the 10 minutes you caution about). The 50/50 solution works great, but it can be bad voodoo on steel and should not be considered a solution to a leading problem.

19. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

20. garander

garander

On a side note, is leading near the chamber a sign of too much velocity or too little? These loads had no leading in my 1911.

I was getting the same ring of leading forward of the chamber in my glock 30.
    Switching from bullseye to unique solved that problem.