close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lead in a Glock barrel formula

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by breacher1, Oct 19, 2012.

1. breacher1

breacher1
    Expand Collapse

is their a specific recipe or even a general rule for loading cast lead to shoot out of a stock G35 barrel to avoid leading. I.E. Heavy boolit & slow powder or light lead boolit (140 gr) & faster powder?

Just picked up a G35 for club matches and since we don't have to meet any power factors I'll just be loading real light plinking loads.

I hate to go aftermarket barrel because my experience with my G32 40 cal conversion barrel is a little bit of a PIA. It never leads but the chamber is so tight (KKM or EFK? don't remember) I have to hand check every single loaded rd to see if it will chamber all the way. I get about a 15 to 20% failure rate due to the Glock bulge. (LE range pickup brass) I then toss those rds in a special bucket for my Steyr M40 with its generous chamber.

I load on a Dillon SDB so there's no way to remove the bulge w/o getting another press.

Not real worried about the bulges since I never load anything hotter than the mid range loads in the loading manuals.

Suggestions? Powders? TIA

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. G-30Jet

G-30Jet
    Expand Collapse

My experience with cheap lead bullets in a stock barrel shows erratic bullet flight. That being said, laser-cast bullets are of higher quality and work pretty well. They are very dirty compared to jacketed bullets however and it requires more gun scrubbing. There is definitely something to the lead build up issue that has been said to contribute to KB's. Mostly in the police KB's, they can be attributed to re-chambering rounds multiple times causing bullet set back. Pressure rises and the KB happens.

3. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

Pick up some of these.
    http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=79&category=5&secondary=11&keywords=

Pick a powder you can find some data for. Start low work your way up to find a load which gives you the velocity, accuracy and oes not foul the barrel. The 18bhn bullets in the link are pretty hard and the .40 even out of the G35 is not going to launch them fast.

If for some reason you have issues with the "bulge" (newer barrels with light to mid loads should not be an issue) you could always pick up a cheap single stage and a pass through dies to remove the "bulge".

#3 dkf, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123
    Expand Collapse
    Grumpy Old Guy

I have shot lead out of a G22 and G23. Used hardcast bullets and a medium charge for jacketed bullets. I keep them under 1,000 FPS and do not have a leading problem.
    Hope this helps. :supergrin:

5. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

I use cast bullets so soft you can dig your fingernail into them. A 180 grain bullet and 3.5 Bullseye will shoot very tight groups and not lead. It will cycle the action and is prolly running around 800fps. If you wan 950fps, use 5.2 Unique and you'll still get tight groups and no leading.

If you use heavier charges of fast powder, like Tightgroup, like all the wingnuts insist on doing, you will lead your barrel in 10 shots so bad it will look like a sewer pipe and your bullets will fly end over end to the target. Fast powder:light charge, medium powder: light or full charge. That is your formula.

6. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

With a good medium hard cast or better bullet I do not have leading problems with my factory Glock barrels.
    I find they do not lead up as much or as easily as conventional rifled barrels and clean up much more easily.
    What I do recommend is to clean your barrel thoroughly between jacketed and lead and vise versa. For a mild,clean load one of the powders you may want to consider is WST,underneath a good cast 180 gr. bullet. SJ 40

7. sig357fan

sig357fan
    Expand Collapse

all barrels lead, its how much that can create problems.

a harder bullet ran too slow can lead just as much as a softer bullet ran too fast.

you have to find the right mix of bullet hardness and velocity for your particular barrel.

I’ve had barrels where you could shoot a couple hundred rounds before it needed a cleaning, and other barrels that leaded severely in 25 rounds.

I cast my own bullets and generally run a heavier bullet cast of wheel weights at a bhn of 10-12 at less than 1000 fps.

Glock barrels are prone to leading so what ever load you develop, keep an eye on the lead build up, don’t just look down the barrel, field strip, run a bore brush through and inspect the bore.

Lead build up can be removed with a bore brush wrapped with “Chore Boy” copper scouring pad (be sure to use the copper, not copper clad steel) , I’ve heard of others using a mixture of white vinegar and peroxide but have never done this myself.

sig357fan

#7 sig357fan, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  8. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

This is 10 rounds at 25 yards offhand

[​IMG]

9. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

I'm still hurt that you are holding out on where you get those targets. The 'WhiskyT target paper' mystery continue :crying:

10. greenlion

greenlion
    Expand Collapse

Formula:

1 Glock + 0 Lead bullets = no barrel leading

11. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

You have been given several bits of advice. In the end, you are going to have to go shoot some lead bullets and see how it works out.

I did this with my G21SF and I didn't notice any leading with S&S Casting 200 gr LSWC (.45 ACP). I still bought a KKM barrel...

I use a Lewis Lead Remover for all of my .45 barrels, whether they need it or not. Brownell's carries them. They are just a washer made of brass mesh the you drag through the barrel on a rubber size-adjustable plug. They work well and you can see the lead flakes on the mesh - if there are any.

Richard

12. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Staples. I'm supporting Bain Capital.

13. breacher1

breacher1
    Expand Collapse

thanks for all the great advice.
    I actually have about 1000 Missouri Bullets but they are the 140 gr sized at .401. I was trying to simulate 9mm recoil out of my G32 with the 40 conversion barrel in the stock duty class at the NRA PPC Nats. I think I ran 4.0 gr of Ramshot Competition and then later 4.0 gr of some old Win Superlite behind the 140 gr bullet and it was a soft shooter. But like I said before, I had to chamber check every single rd to avoid FTFeed.

I assume the chamber on my new G35 will be a little more forgiving - gonna go try it Sat. morn.

I have about 1000 moly coated 180 gr pills I bought at a gunshow and they are supposed to be BH 17 or 18. Maybe I'll try one of my slower powders like Ramshot Silhouette or HS-6 with those and see what happens. I also have a couple of medium burners- HP-38 and Universal Clays I could try.

If all else fails there's always the plated Berrys to fall back on for a few more bucks.

14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

If you have to move away from lead, consider the jacketed bullets at Precision Delta. They are price competitive with Berry's plated bullets without all the limitations.

Richard

15. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

This is good advice for all reloaders,

The balance of hardness, velocity and powder is subject to many variables. I can take a hard lead bullet that someone swears "doesn't lead at all" and I can make it lead a bore badly.

I can also use a bullet that some might think is "too soft" and come up with a pretty clean load.

It is really part of the "fun" of casting.

16. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

Sounds like you do not have your sizing die adjusted all the way down.

17. dwhite53

dwhite53
    Expand Collapse

I find Unique works extremely well in my cast bullet loads.

Cleaning the barrel every 100 rounds or so keeps the
    buildup manageable. But I have run up to 200 through
    my Glock without cleaning without any problems.

I do find that lead cleans out of my Glock barrel easier
    than my conventionally rifled barrels.

All the Best,
    D. White

#17 dwhite53, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  18. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

I ran a couple of hundred lead .45s through my stock G21SF and buildup wasn't readily apparent.

The problem I had with other responses I had read about the Glock leading issue was that everybody wanted to clean at around 200 rounds. And they seemed fine with that!

If I get to play as long as I want, I might go through 500 rounds in a day. Maybe more! And I don't want to call 'Time Out' to clean the barrel. I came to shoot, not clean guns.

I bought the KKM barrel so I don't have to think about leading. I'll clean the gun when I get around to it.

RIchard

#18 F106 Fan, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  19. sig357fan

sig357fan
    Expand Collapse

+1 Richard,

Running lead bullets in a Glock barrel means more frequent cleaning than what you would ever do with jacketed bullets, which means cleaning at the range if you do any quantity shooting. Granted, it’s not that difficult or time consuming if done regularly with the right equipment but it is something to consider.

I’ve ran over 200 rounds of the 125 gr. TC bullet I cast at 1300+ fps in a LWD 357 Sig barrel with no issues, couldn’t get though one mag with the stock G31 barrel before getting severe lead build up that required an extensive cleaning. So if you are reloading light plinking loads to run in your stock barrel, your only issue maybe an increase in cleaning. If you are trying to duplicate a defense load using lead bullets you may get into a severe leading issue in short order.

Another aspect of the aftermarket barrel is that you can now use your stock barrel for jacketed only and your aftermarket barrel for lead only.

sig357fan

20. breacher1

breacher1
    Expand Collapse

it's cranked all the way till it contacts the shell holder on the up-stroke. can't go down any farther.

I'm pretty sure it's just the tight chamber on that Firedragon barrel. I just checked some of those rejected rds in my new G35 barrel and they rattle around in the chamber with room to spare.