close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

LE turn in 870Ps are back in stock for $269

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by plouffedaddy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    link

Just passing this along because a lot of people kicked themselves last time they had these...

2. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Let the buyer beware. If you can see one of these and go through it then this is a deal. However, Departmental weapons are some of the most abused firearms out there. Add the fact that at trade in time the Department Armorer goes through them and picks the worst ones to trade in. He may also canablize parts and put parts in that he can't use. I have seen and know of nightmares that guys ended up with by thinking that these weapons were anything different then abused 870's.

With the above stated, I also can tell you that many Department trade in's look like pure S**T on the outside but are like new inside and have seen very little use. If the Armorer did not switch out parts then many of these are like new weapons inside. The key is the place you buy it. If that seller will stand by the sale then you are good to go. Just be ready to deal with the issues that come with buying anything new and sight unseen. These can very well be a great deal. Also note the Waffle pad on these indicte this are older guns and many may have a 20" barrel. Cetainly not a deal breaker.

3. XDfense

XDfense

Nov 3, 2010
    They're out of stock BTW. Too bad, I considered getting one. Love the furniture.

4. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    100% agreed. I've bought 2 used police models from them and both were beat up on the outside but looked like they didn't have 100 rounds through them on the inside. I'm sure these are from a different dept. than the others but I figure it's worth a shot for $270... :dunno:

5. I can agree to a point but the 870 Police Mag I bought was beat up on the outside but the inside was barely worn. Guess its the luck of the draw!

6. burttrans

burttrans

Aug 17, 2012
    I don't see them listed when I go to the site???

7. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    They usually take the dept turn in guns down after they're sold out for a few days. Mine should be in tomorrow.

8. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It showed up today. 20'' barrel, chrome bolt, and walnut wood.

A couple questions...

1. Does anyone make a blued 3 shot extension?
    2. Best way to get that rust out without jacking up the bluing?

9. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Remington makes a three shot for that weapon. It will end 1/2" past the barrel.

Not sure about the bluing because to blue a weapon the metal has to be polished. If you sand to remove the rust and polish the area and cold blue it, those areas will show differently. May not show that much and only up close. However, they will be protected and that is the main issue.

10. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    Thanks. I'm not all that experienced with blued firearms either. Did a little more research and have since taken a copper brush to it which got about 90% of the rust off. Debating which direction I want to take this gun now...:tequila:

11. r3dot

r3dot

Sep 6, 2007
    Izzerwat TX
    I say leave it as is. That's a great gun.

12. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    I've used CLP and #0000 steel wool to remove some LIGHT rust on firearms, in the past.

TEST in an out-of-the-way spot, before going after the entire scattergun. (Rub lightly.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  13. unit 900

unit 900

Sep 3, 2000
    Baltimore, Md
    Pennsylvania State Police recently upgraded their shotgun. I purchased an old one as they were exactly the same as the Remington 870's I used in the Baltimore PD. 870 blued Wingmaster, 20" bbl and rifle sights. In my experience, based on 3 departments I know, shotguns in the car stay there. When we qualified, we used shotguns assigned to the Range. I don't recall ever firing the shotgun that rode in my trunk. I'm not saying that's a good thing. I am saying that's why many police turn-ins can be a very nice deal. I was able to pick the one I bought, but most were somewhat worn externally, but certainly not shot a bunch.

14. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    You must not read many of my posts :wavey: I kid... I may leave it; it certainly is a good looking gun.

I shot it a ton today and it is a great shooter; 0 issues what so ever.

15. ReloadN4Glock

ReloadN4Glock

Nov 13, 2012
    Tennessee
    I would love to get my hands on one of the older ones. And then when funds allow maybe send it off to Wilson Combat for some work.

16. moeman

moeman

Feb 15, 2004
    So CA
    Yeh, the problem with police shotguns are that our grand childern may wear them out if we and oyur kids do thier part.

A 18 chokeless pump gun will go F-O-R-E-V-E-R!