close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

LDS vs SDA Same Thing?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by seanmac45, Apr 29, 2012.

1. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Pardon my curiosity, I was raised Roman Catholic and in reading various threads and watching some portions of the series Big Love I see many similarities between the two faiths.

Both require their believers to go out on missions.

Both seem to be very closed off from outsiders, i.e. they don't seem to socialize outside of the faith.

Both seem to have an emphasis on prepping.

I am not trying to be insulting or a wise guy, I was just wondering if they are basically the same faith the way Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy are.

2. Gombey

Gombey

Oct 10, 2011
    Missions are not a requirement in the SDA Church, also I have many friends that are not Adventists. As for prepping I have only met one that thinks its a good idea. For the most part it is kind of discouraged.

That, is in my experience. I'm sure others will be along to tell you of theirs. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

3. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    OK so I am mistaken. No offense intended, I am merely trying to understand what I though was the relationship between the two.

But many SDA do go on missions, no?

4. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    The LDS and Adventists are worlds apart. In reference to the show "Big Love" it is not a common practice with the LDS, and is strictly forbidden in Adventism.

Adventists believe in the entire bible, and do not believe that anything supercedes the bible. LDS believes that the Book of Mormon is the Bible for the Americas and the Bible that the rest of protestantism subscribes to as simply for the Middle Eastern part of the world.

Adventists do have missions and missionaries that go as the spirit leads them to do so. LDS requires those that come of age to be missionaries, which is why many of them are very good linguists, because they have to witness to wherever they are assigned in the native language of the people.

LDS believe that having lots of children are a good thing, because if they are faithful, the father becomes a god of his own universe with his family serving him.

Adventists believe only in God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit as coequal unified Godhead.

LDS keep Sunday.

Adventists keep Saturday.

Adventists are looking forward to the soon return of Jesus Christ.

I hope that helps you with your confusion.:wavey:

5. Gombey

Gombey

Oct 10, 2011
    None taken! I was playing with my daughter while I was typing this so I was not paying too close attention.

Missions are encouraged in some churches more than others, but yes they are encouraged.

Sorry if my previous post came across wrong. I really have no problem answering questions. I spend a good deal of time doing it when people find out my denomination.

6. Gombey

Gombey

Oct 10, 2011
    What kind of show is Big Love? I thought that was someone's user name. I tend to stay out of this part of the forum…

7. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the input. It's obvious that I had some really wrong assumptions about the two being alike.

8. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Big Love was a series about a polygamist Mormon family. It was interesting for the way it portrayed the structure of their faith, but I also assumed it had a lot of inaccuracies.

9. Mister_Beefy

Mister_Beefy Legal & Proper

Apr 19, 2011
    Serving a mission is not a requirement in the LDS faith. It is encouraged, but the choice is theirs and there is no punishment for choosing not to go.

Don't get your info on LDS from Big Love. If you assumed it contained a lot of inaccuracies, you assumed right. It contains nothing but inaccuracies.

The show is very high production value anti-Mormon propaganda.

produced by Tom Hanks, the guy that said Mormons were un-American.

Kingarthurhk is correct, LDS and SDA are worlds apart. But both are Christian denominations.

10. I am a Seventh-day Adventist and I can tell you that the LDS is closer to Catholicism than to Seventh-day Adventists.

1. The Seventh-day Adventists do not require their members to go out on missions.

2. As far as socializing no problem except it is not a good thing to do very worldly activities like drinking etc.

3. There is an emphasis on being ready for the last days, however, the LDS encourage their members to stockpile food etc. Seventh-day Adventists are warned not to stockpile food.

The major preparation for the Bible "Time of Trouble" is spiritual preparation to be found in faith.

"
    MARANATHA, PAGE 181

Food and Lands in the Last Days, June 22

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is evil thereof. Matthew 6:34.
    The Lord has shown me in vision, repeatedly, that it is contrary to the Bible to make any provision for our temporal wants in the time of trouble. I saw that if the saints have food laid up by them, or in the fields, in the time of trouble when sword, famine, and pestilence are in the land, it will be taken from them by violent hands, and strangers would reap their fields. Then will be the time for us to trust wholly in God, and He will sustain us. I saw that our bread and water would be sure at that time, and we should not lack, or suffer hunger. The Lord has shown me that some of His children would fear when they see the price of food rising, and they would buy food and lay it by for the time of trouble. Then in a time of need, I saw them go to their food and look at it, and it had bred worms, and was full of living creatures, and not fit for use."

11. Mister_Beefy

Apr 19, 2011

:rofl: Neither do the Latter-Day Saints.

12. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

Sep 20, 2006
    Galveston County, TX
    There are similarities in that both denominations arose in the 19th century and that both diverge greatly from other more main stream Christian philosophies. Both require the belief that a person in the 1800's some how figured out or was enlightened to the "true" version of Christianity.

While they both have their issues with prophets that were really just either crazy folks or skillfully aware of how they could manipulate others through scripture, I have found LDS to be way more out of line.

13. Seventh -day Adventists use the Bible as the only rule of faith and practice.
    LDS consider the Book of Mormon more relevant.

There are always counterfeits when the Lord is going forward with His plan. In this case it is the Spirit of prophecy that has been counterfeited.

Out of the 1800's came 3 counterfeits claiming direct inspiration. JW's, Christian Science, and Latter Day Saints. Only the Seventh-day Adventist Church believes that the Bible is the only rule of faith and practice.

Proverbs 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keeps the law, happy is he.

Acts 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, said God, I will pour out of my Spirit on all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
    2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

14. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for all of the informative replies. It sounds like a topic (the 1800's offshoots of Christianity) that would make for a large book of reading.

I have one more clarifying question; Are all Mormons LDS, or is LDS a portion of the larger Mormon faith?

Also, I realize that Big Love was heavily dramatized and more than likely way out there, but it did seem interesting how in some ways it paralleled the Warren Jeffs case.

Thanks again for everyone who took the time to enlighten me.

15. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    You can get all kind of info on both from the book "Kingdom of the Cults" Gee, they are both in a book about cults..........we call that a clue.

16. If you read the book yourself you would find that the book classified the Seventh-day Adventists as Christian not a cult.

17. The Seventh-day Adventists see themselves as a continuation of the Reformation. Their strangeness is accounted for by their adherence to the Bible rather than tradition and the special way that God has led and grown the Church.

There are several LDS offshoots that do not follow the main body of LDS such as the Polygamists and others as there are for just about any faith. One thing that made the LDS strong was the persecution that they received from the mainline Protestant churches. They did not just wander for no reason out into the desert of Utah. They were forced to depend upon one another. It made them strong enough that they believe that they will soon rule the world. They own Utah so they have a start. Wow, there sure are a lot of folks who think their particular religion or sect is going to rule the world.

18. Mister_Beefy

Apr 19, 2011
    The name of the Mormon church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Latter-Day Saints = LDS. It's just a nickname, as is Mormons, which comes from the Book of Mormon.

Jeffs is not, and never was a Mormon. Neither are those that practice polygamy. (although the only reason why it was outlawed is because Mormons were doing it.)

The "Mormons will take over everything!" line has been used for decade upon decade as the basis for lying, bigotry, and violence.

19. I just want everything to be presented honestly. Where did you get your information or is that the stock answer?

The Mormons according to the Mormons expect to rule the world. This Wikipedia article says thay have given up on the idea, but I have been told by Mormons that they will rule the earth and build the New Jerusalem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Fifty
    "The Council of Fifty (also known as the Living Constitution, the Kingdom of God, or its name by revelation, The Kingdom of God and His Laws with the Keys and Power thereof, and Judgment in the Hands of His Servants, Ahman Christ)[1] was a Latter Day Saint organization established by Joseph Smith, Jr. in 1844 to symbolize and represent a future theocratic or theodemocratic "Kingdom of God" on the earth.[2] Smith and his successor Brigham Young hoped to create this Kingdom in preparation for the Millennium and the Second Coming of Jesus. The political Kingdom of God, organized around the Council of Fifty, was meant to be a force of peace and order in the midst of this chaos. According to Mormon teachings, while Jesus himself would be king of this new world government, its structure was in fact to be quasi-republican and multi-denominational; therefore, the early Council of Fifty included both Mormons and non-Mormons.[3] Although the Council played a significant role during the last few months of Joseph Smith's life, particularly in his campaign for President of the United States, the Council's role was mostly symbolic throughout the 19th century within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This was largely because the Council was primarily meant for a time when secular governments had ceased to function. Regular meetings of the Council ended in 1884, after the church publicly abandoned its theocratic aspirations. The organization was technically extinguished when its last member, Heber J. Grant, died in 1945."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jerusalem
    "Latter Day Saint
    See also: Zion (Latter Day Saints)
    In the Latter Day Saint movement (Mormonism), the New Jerusalem is viewed as a physical kingdom that will be built in North America,[19] centered around Independence, Missouri.[20] The movement refers to the New Jerusalem as Zion. The movement's founder, Joseph Smith, Jr., attempted to establish this Zion in the early 1830s, and drafted a detailed plat of Zion based on his view of the biblical description of the New Jerusalem, including plans for a temple. However, due to political and military rivalry with other Missouri settlers, members of the religion were expelled from Missouri in 1838. Subsequently, several Latter Day Saint denominations have established residence there, believing that it will be the center of God's Millennial kingdom."

BTW The Mormons teach that the Ten Commandments must be kept, but they do not keep the Seventh-day Sabbath.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012