close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LCP Vs. S&W Bodyguard .380ACP?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DonGlock26, Oct 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26
    Expand Collapse

LCP Vs. S&W Bodyguard .380ACP?

I'm looking for a reliable .380 pocket pistol. Which would be better for pocket carry? Which has been better regarding reliability? What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Don

_

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ratf51

ratf51
    Expand Collapse

Tagged. I may be needing the same question answered before long.

3. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

I've always had good luck with the Ruger pistols I've owned and having a S&W Sigma kind of left me with bad feelings about their poly semi autos but after taking a look at an M&P 45 I think S&W may have gotten it's act together.
    I've read up on both the LCP and Bodyguard and the Bodyguard seems to have a few "bells and whistles" that make it more user friendly then the LCP. Of course I'm not crazy about the laser but I guess I could just not use it if I didn't want to.
    If you could get either for the same price, as much as I hate to say it, I'd probably give the edge to the Bodyguard from things I've read about it.

4. JimIsland

JimIsland
    Expand Collapse

I had a BodyGuard and sold it to a friend. Honestly, It was a great little piece and never had one malfunction. I just couldn't get used to the loooong trigger. I'm searching for a new pocket pistol myself and have narrowed it down to a Ruger LCP, Diamond back or possibly a Kel-Tec .32. That little thing weighs nothing!!!

5. Manolito1

Manolito1
    Expand Collapse

I just bought a S&W 380 bodyguard waiting the ten days so I can't speak to working the range with it.

6. G26S239

G26S239
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Patron

I have an LCP that I have put over 500 rounds through, no malfunctions at all. It has fed hardball, Critical Defense and Remington 102 grain BJHPs so far. It is very small and flat. I have not tried the S&W.

7. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Of those 2 I'd say the Ruger. It's more pocketable than the Smith IMO, they are pocket guns after all.

Edit: another reason is I don't like lasers and if I did, I'd rather it be removable.

#7 Travclem, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  8. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

If it were me, I'd wait until after both models had been out and in general service for at least 2 years before asking this question. :)

No rush to be among the Beta Testers, is there? ;)

On the other hand, although the use of the laser isn't authorized (disable by removal of batteries?), it appears the Bodyguard .380 is already considered suitable for authorized use by LAPD officers.

FWIW, one of our guys just picked up a new LC9 (to potentially replace his 642 for backup & off-duty). Unfortunately, his first range session revealed the gun has pretty frequent light primer hits using at 3 different types of duty loads. It did it when I tried it, too. Back to the company for correction.

I've jumped the gun and tried "new" models from different companies at one time or another. I decided some time ago I was tired of helping them identify minor issues can arise with new designs during the first couple of years.

It's still bad enough when makes/models are receiving revisions, updates, refinements and improvements after a few years ... or several years. :whistling:

In the spirit of the question, I've only learned of a couple of guys who picked up LCP's. One of them is a friend (another instructor). His has done fine, although the long trigger gave him some grief and required some adjustment on his part, and he finally had to install a rubber grip to help him control it under rapid fire.

The other guy I only learned about in passing, when he was using a new one for qualification. I wasn't working with him, myself, but as I recall he may have had a couple of minor issues during the course of fire (which might well have been shooter-related for all I know). I wasn't interested enough in the new gun to look into it, since it was being handled by another couple of instructors, and I had other things to hold my attention that afternoon.

Luck to you whichever way you choose.

At least the S&W gun is supported by free prepaid shipping for their lifetime warranty, and the company has always placed an emphasis on quickly fixing and returning guns for both owners with a looming competition and LE owners.

#8 fastbolt, Oct 29, 2011
  9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I had a Kel-Tec P3AT that was perfectly reliable over several years and hundreds of rounds. Traded it in for a Sig P238 and couldn't possibly be happier. A little heavier, but that just makes for quicker follow-up shots, more comfortable in hand, real sights (and night sights at that), and a very nice trigger pull compared to most micro pistols.

10. DonGlock26

DonGlock26
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys!

Based on my research, the LCP is probably the better pocket pistol due to size and sights, while the BG is more refined for shooting with better sights, ect.

_

11. Jack Black

Jack Black
    Expand Collapse

While I haven't shot the BodyGuard, I can't imagine you liking the LCP if you don't want a long trigger. The LCP's trigger is extremely long and breaks almost all the way to the rear.

12. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

My friend who bought the LCP described it as feeling like you're almost about to run out of trigger guard and room for trigger movement before the gun fires.

13. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

Pretty accurate.

14. Ebb27

Ebb27
    Expand Collapse

The LCP was introduced in 2008 and did have some early issues but I haven't heard of any issues lately.

With all the thousands of them sold and all the Ruger-bashing and gun-snobbery that goes on here on the net I'm sure we'd be hearing about any issues.

#14 Ebb27, Oct 29, 2011
  15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

And the Kel-Tec P3AT, of which it's a copy, years before.

16. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

Okay, you'd think that after 3 years they'd have the bugs worked out. ;) Time flies.

Maybe it was the experience of shooting a friend's LC9 the other day and experiencing a series of light strikes with 3 types of common 9mm duty ammunition ... and watching the owner experience the same thing all afternoon ... that left me with the "wait & see" feeling about the Ruger.

Maybe it's the LC9 that needs another couple of years ... :rofl:

To be fair, I've heard the Bodyguard has had its share of minor teething pains since introduction.

#16 fastbolt, Oct 29, 2011
  17. Gregg702

Gregg702
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

I see less and less reason to own a .380 pocket pistol with all the new 9mm pocket pistols on the market. 9mm is cheaper, and it is a service caliber. They cost a little more, but you will quickly make that up in cheaper and more available ammo. My CM9 disappears in my pocket.

18. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10
    Expand Collapse

Looking for somethings small too but 380 vs 9 mm I thing i will choose the 9 thank you...come on am I wrong here

19. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

I didn't get sidetracked by the .380 v. 9 subject earlier (or .32 v. 380, for that matter, since you can get .32's even smaller) because I presumed the OP had a specific reason for narrowing his choice to those 2 pistols chambered in .380 ACP.

20. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10
    Expand Collapse

Your Point? Why would I buy a 380 when i can get a 9mm for the same $$$