LAX shooting report: Communication problems added to confusion http://www.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Kelo6, Mar 18, 2014.

1. #1 Kelo6, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. The theory of interoperability is a joke, but Motorola is making huge amounts of money off it. Even if all agencies had the technological capabilities to communicate, in an event such as an active shooter or airport shooter, the coordination efforts to place all the different responding agencies on one frequency would be monumental.

3. How does this work? Does the FCC reserve a frequency for interoperability? So that when any local agency purchase radios, do they program their regular frequencies PLUS have the special FCC frequency programed in also?

#3 Patchman, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  4. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

We're working on that project with a bunch of local agencies. The LA Communications Center for CHP is spearheading a huge project and they are looking to get as many agencies on board as they can. Even if we can't communicate with each other, when something goes down, the CHP LACC can patch all agencies with each other. It's going to take a lot of work and I imagine, a lot of trainings and drills to get it right, but if it works, it'll be worth it.

As for the LAX incident... yeah, sounds about right for just about everything that goes down here in SoCal with all the various agencies that come to assist each other.

There are agencies who are very willing to share frequencies, but it's hard to get the programming and logistics down when you have to actually use it. Then you have certain agencies who refuse to share frequencies even when they overlap or operate right next door to each other. We have been having a few major incidents lately and we get everyone involved, including CHP, LASD, and other local area agencies, plus various FD's from around the area... and yeah... we don't communicate with each other well.

5. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

You don't have a preselected mutual aid frequency.'08. :faint:

6. All of the local agencies are programmed into our radios. In case of an emergency requiring mutual aid, we go to the frequency needed and everyone uses plain talk.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. This is a huge problem in federal LE. Before the creation of Homeland, Treasury had a series of common channels (maintained by Customs, IIRC) available to the half dozen LE agencies that were under Treasury. Of course, they did not have any way to communicate with FBI, DEA, etc.

Nothing had changed. I would like to believe that DHS has a series of common channels, but who knows? I know that every time I work a multi agency surveillance, one agency has to provide radios for everyone, even though we all have our own, very expensive car and handheld radio sets.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app

8. Around here, there is an issue between some agencies because of them being in different wavelength bands. The SO, all city PDs and all fire in our county are VHF. CHP is still VHF-low - no one else has radios that function in that band. State Parks is in the 800 band (non-trunked). Most rangers carry a VHF handheld in their trucks. The university is 800 MHz trunked.

Departments operate in different bands for various reasons. Without expensive equipment and agreements to patch the different systems together, there will never be true interopability.

9. I remember after 9/11 there was a big push for interoperability. It went nowhere. I think even NYC can't do it and they are all under one roof.

Our solution was at one point going to be buying radios that could have all the frequencies of all 58 counties in CA. I think that died along with a sleazily written bond initiative.

I gave up on it long ago. I will retire in less that 8 years and they will still be talking about it. Hell, my week old kid if she goes into public safety will be hearing about it throughout here career.

10. Our radios have 200 channels including 2 for LAX as far as I know. I don't think it's so much about interoperability as much as our reluctance to switch channels to an outside mutual aid channel when there is a major incident. Within our Department we use over 20 frequencies. When there is a major incident we internally switch to an internal operational TAC frequency. It's hard to explain, but it's hard enough to get our agency talking together, much less outside agencies.