Lawsuit proceeding over Deputy threatening to murder licensed CC motorist.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Prometheus77, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Prometheus77

Prometheus77 GOA - RWVA

Lawsuit proceeding over deputy threatening to murder Florida motorist and CWL holder during a routine traffic stop.

For those of you who recall, the Florida Deputy goes off on the older motorist and threatens "I'll shoot you in the ****ing back".

Deputy: "I'll shoot you in the ****ing back!" -Video

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Taurus settles class action lawsuit General Firearms Forum Jul 28, 2015
    Frivolous Lawsuits...At Least We're Not Alone The Okie Corral Jun 11, 2015
    Civil Rights Lawsuits against Jack-Booted Thugs increase dramatically Uncategorized Apr 26, 2010
    Civil Rights Lawsuits against Jack-Booted Thugs increase dramatically Uncategorized Apr 26, 2010
    IRS has opened a Lawsuit against you SCAM The Okie Corral May 19, 2015

3. Sam Spade

Lifetime Member

Completely setting aside the merits of the suit, this is why it's better that you control the timing of the discovery of your weapon.

4. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

It's also better that all persons involved in any interaction, behave appropriately. Otherwise, the tax dollars of many people will be in jeopardy.

I'm dealing with an incident in my town where an officer manhandled and assaulted a guy legally carrying, and now the city will owe the offended and injured soldier a hefty sum. Sucks for me and my neighbors.

5. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

This. QUOTE=Sam Spade;20603288]Completely setting aside the merits of the suit, this is why it's better that you control the timing of the discovery of your weapon.[/QUOTE]

6. I saw this video, that cop should be arrested for making death treats, but as we know there is a double standard when cops break the law.

7. Why, when you don't have to? Quit trying to blame the poor guy.

#6 AZson, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  8. The guy did, but the cop still handcuffed him, berated him and threatened to kill him, yet nothing was done to the cop. If I did that, I would be in jail.
    Gives you a reason to be weary of police.
    Heck we have a psycho sheriff here in Pima county, I would be very nervous around him.

#7 AZson, Sep 8, 2013
  9. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

He didn't blame the guy. He simply made an observation that is very true. Had the gentleman, upon first contact, said he was armed, the officer may have acted differently and the gentleman might not have been subjected to such rude treatment.

The CCW carrier did nothing wrong at all, he's gonna get paid and rightfully so.

10. Sam Spade

Lifetime Member

On second though, I'll just go with this: :goodpost: :agree:

#9 Sam Spade, Sep 8, 2013
  11. Cavalry Doc

There are heroes and zero's in every profession. It looks like the citizen is on his way to getting compensated for his trouble. Should not have happened. Now the tax payers will have to pay for the officer's mistake.

12. You should hire BETTER Officers!

13. The officer was wrong and over reacted and should answer for acting like an a**.

14. Cavalry Doc

Well, I don't hire officers.

To be honest, it's hard to ensure an employee will be an excellent employee during the hiring process.

What you should do is pay close attention, and ensure that your officers have the best training available to be the best officers available.

Even then, a bad apple or two will slip through. It's just that there is nothing certain when dealing with humans.

#13 Cavalry Doc, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  15. The LE profession draws a lot of nuts. The majority are great but recognize many of their colleagues are in it for the wrong reasons. This might be one of those guys. However, considering the dangers of even a simple stop I can see an officer getting a little worked up. In KY we are required to inform the officer and present our CCW license immediately. I think that's a good law and would help avoid situations like this.

16. True, but as a citizen, you still have a voice! Scream loudly if you must!!! I was appointed to a citizens committee that examines Police Issues. The Chief knows that he works at the pleasure of the Mayor, the Mayor is always running for election, therefor we, as citizens, have clout if you know who to holler at! Just ask John Morse in Colorado. I'll be voting to recall him, tomorrow!

17. Cavalry Doc

My local police are learning some hard lessons right now about how to handle a person legally carrying a weapon. I've written some emails and sent a couple of letters. The resulting lawsuit will probably have more impact, although it'll essentially come out of the taxpayers pocket.

Point is, it's not the hiring process I would focus on, but constant good quality training. I'd hope the city would be able to step out of the way and let the offending officer get sued personally if they showed an honest good faith effort. Maybe not possible, but that would be more fair.

18. Well I agree with Sam's post number 2.

The last time I was stopped was in the late 70's and we didn't have CCW back then.

From hanging around here it seems things can go both ways. There have been cases where a person did not inform when they didn't have to and were treated badly. There have been cases where a person did inform when they didn't have to and were treated badly.

But it seems to me the majority of people who did inform were treated in a fair and just manner. I can certainly understand an officers concern, but not their overreaction.

I personally carry my permit and drivers license in the same compartment of my billfold. We do not have to inform, unless asked, in my state.

My plan the next time I'm stopped is to hand over both documents, if I'm carrying. No matter if it's in this state, or some other state where I'm authorized to carry. I think the odds of being treated fairly would be on my side that way. Just my opinion.

19. Even cops have to deal with other foul mouth cops. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-SynJskIPQ"]Dashcam shows cops fighting - Bergen County Police vs NJ State Police on Turnpike, 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

20. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

Or he might have been shot DRT. Fruitcakes like that are completely unpredictable, that's why they shouldn't be cops.

OTOH, it's Floriduh. Fruitcakes are to be expected.

21. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane