close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lawn, summer heat and cinch bugs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tongix, May 31, 2012.

1. tongix

tongix

roll into one accord in this Houston heat. I have to mow today and apply the Ortho Bugs be Gone . I do this every start of summer as these cinch bugs and Japanese beetles larvae come out and feast on the lawn esp the roots. A bag of Ortho goes a long ways. And of course watering every five days to keep the roots strong and soil moist.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

We've had a very wet, cool spring. It's JUST starting to get pretty warm (80+ during the day) and dry. The grass has needed to be machete'd twice a week for a month, but I suspect I'll have to turn on the irrigation this weekend.

The good part is that weeds have been CHOKED out by the thick thick turf we've established. I hit some areas about a month ago and spot-sprayed a few hold-outs 2 weeks ago. I'll do it again this weekend, just to get it all.

The next season: Crabgrass. I don't care how strong your grass is, hot July always means crabgrass here. Sprouts for what seems like 6 weeks, so a regular anti-crabgrass agent isn't viable. Grrrr.

We used to have issues with larvae eating all our grass in this AO. Haven't seen a bad infestation in a decade or more. I think I've got some Grub-Ex in the garage that I'll put down maybe this weekend.

3. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

Here in South Florida, I chose to have Bahia sod (I-95 median grass) instead of Floratam (St. Augustine). Floratam sod is supposed to be Cinch bug resistant (it's a special St. Augustine hybrid sod made by University of Florida & Texas A&M, hence the name).

Floratam sod, if it turns brown or yellow...it's gone, it's dead, one really needs a sprinkler system to keep it maintained and I have too much yard and too little money for a Floratam yard. So I chose to have Bahia sod. Even if it turns brown and looks dead, a rain storm brings it all back to life.

However, every morning after a good rain, my pool has hundreds of Cinch bugs at the bottom of it (can't explain their suicide march). Thank god I have a Creepy Crawly-like device for my pool (I actually have a Barricuda to bottom clean my pool).

[​IMG]

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Bahia is the worst stuff ever when it comes to a lawn. It is the freakin' devil!

Those nasty little seeds, the ugly, tall stalks! I'm fighting a battle right now in my back yard. I didn't have any on the property until I move here and used my lawn mower from my old house. Transplant seeds ruined my grass!

Damn that stuff!!!

5. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

Yeah, it's (Bahia) not even close to being as good as Floratam. But, it's looking good (my lawn) with the mowing upkeep and I don't have no sprinkler worries.

When I had a smaller lawn, living in Palm Beach County, Floratam was good to have. But, the yard I have now in St. Lucie County is much bigger and I preferred not to have Floratam sod. Some neighbors here have Floratam lawns, but most don't.

6. tongix

tongix

What we have here in Houston are mainly Raleigh St Augustine.Thats the one i have in front of my lawn. The back is combination of St Augustine and Bermuda. The Raleigh is prone to cinch bug attack and needs a lot of watering during summer .

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

Cinch bugs and Japanese beetles are easy to control compared to these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

AHHHHHH....Summer........

Sherlock loves to lay in the grass and "heat up" in the midday sun.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Life is good!

9. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

The only really effective pesticide against the evil chinch bugs was Diazinon, which was removed from the market a few years ago. Everything else they pretty much laugh at. Keeping the grass healthy and well watered helps a lot.