Latest Purchase - 642

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by SuperSleuth, Jan 16, 2011.

1. I just wanted to share news of my latest purchase, a new no-lock 642, that I picked up yesterday. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

It has Spegel boot grips right now. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (hopefully sometime this week), but I'm going to try a few different grips I have to see if any ones in particular work best for me. Needless to say, I'm hoping the Spegel grips win. :supergrin:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Congrats on the 642-1 SuperSlueth..
    I'll see you over at the S&W Forum..

I love the Centennial S&W Snubs & Craig Spegel's Grips..

[​IMG]

BTW I'm HEADKNOCKER @ The S&W Forum..

#2 Glock 17L, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Very nice!!... Congrats!!

4. Thanks, everyone. I went shooting yesterday and tried a few different rounds. I'll just say I will definitely not be using Buffalo Bore's +P FBI load again! My hand is still sore. Short-Barrel GDHP were fine, though, so that's what I've got in it now.

5. 12345

#7 tortoise, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  6. I am currently trying the Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure in my 442. Pleased thus far from a very small sample.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

The Buffalo Bore +P loads rock ya a bit.:supergrin:

I like the Spegels too, have them on a few guns.....

Kit Gun
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nice, congrats! Beautiful grips!

9. Lawrence Keeney

Lawrence Keeney pain in the ass

Youre lucky, Ive never seen one WITHOUT a lock.

10. Shootinbil

Millennium Member

I have one with the lock and I just shot it last week. I put 150 rounds down range. It shot great:cool:

11. I couldn't resist any longer so I ordered one. I pick it up tomorrow after work!

12. I got one for myself for my birthday. I qualified with it today and all I can say is I need better grips. The factory ones leave much to be desired (mines a 642-1 with the standard rubber grips). Mine shot well but that trigger is way easy to slap and since this is my first wheel gun and having come from semi-auto's the lack of a reset or rather the reset that is all the way out is kinda crazy. I like it though. Good pocket gun.

13. Guess I missed this thread back when you posted it.

Congrats. Great little S&W snub.

I liked my original 642-1 so much that when I learned the company had pulled out a few thousand older frames from parts stock to make new 642-1's, I got on the phone to order one. Unfortunately, the company told me that they'd already shipped out all the new guns made from that run, but they suggested a couple of distributors who had received some. I got a LE distributor to find one for me and now I have a pair of 642-1's. ;)

Interestingly enough, I found I actually like my M&P 340 more than my 642. Not because it's chambered in .357 Magnum, but because it offers a couple of optional features I couldn't get with the 642. I looked at it as sort of an "improved" 642, of a sort.

I like the stronger scandium frame.

I especially like the XS front night sight and the U-notch rear sight. I can make faster sight acquisition and hits with the M&P 340 than I can with my 642's, even with the front ramps painted on the 642's. Something about the bright white plastic ring around the front tritium capsule, and the way it nestles into the wide U-notch, makes it very quick & easy to see, especially during fast-paced shot strings & drills.

I like how the gun is a bit lighter than my 642's. It's just enough to be noticeable when carried in a pocket holster. This is done by the yoke being alloy instead of steel and the barrel being the new sleeved design, with an alloy shroud over the steel barrel liner. (The trade off is a bit more felt recoil and torquing in the hand, often felt as the trigger guard hammering up into the bottom of the index finger.)

As a matter of fact, I liked my original M&P 340 so much that I just bought another one, but this time I bought the variation that doesn't have the internal lock. While I've never had an issue with the lock in mine (using either Magnum, +P or standard pressure loads), nor ever personally handled one belonging to someone else that had an ILS problem, or talked with another LE revolver armorer who reported having one with an ILS problem, having a second M&P 340 without the ILS does mean the gun has 5 less parts I have to check during periodic inspections. ;) )

I'll keep the original M&P 340 with the lock for a secondary, meaning it'll mostly see use as a "range beater" as I continue to try and wear it out.

#17 fastbolt, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  14. Ya! The Buffalo Bore .38+P round does pack a wallop!
    I carry it in my Ruger SP101 snub, and it is a perfect round, due to the heavy construction of the SP.

I also use the Speer Gold Dot 158gr .357 magnum loads in the SP, and those will hurt your hand after a box or two goes downrange.
    (My hand is sore today, after a couple hundred rounds downrange yesterday...but it had been awhile since I practiced with the snub.

Lately, I am all about the snub, and practicing at nearly contact distances.

15. My 642 is holding up pretty well. The only real hiccup I had was a problem with the extractor rod. It came loose and I couldn't get it tightened; it felt like the threads were stripped. I bought a new rod and everything is fine now. The finish is peeling off pretty bad on the back strap and on the frame under the cylinder latch. The only change I've made since I added the boot grips was replacing the cylinder latch for the older style; it works a little better for the reload technique I use. I'm considering having the chamber mouths chamfered. I've managed to put almost 700 rounds through it so far with quite a bit of dry-fire practice.

I really want to get another one as a back-up in case of repairs as well as to spread out any wear-and-tear. I've thought about getting a 442 for the longer-lasting finish, but I also have concerns about rust, so it's kind of a toss-up.

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It sure as hell does. I received 3 boxes of it last week. After putting a mere 10 rounds through my 642 I ordered a pair of Pachmayr Compac grips. With the stock plastic boot grip (I think that's what that's called) it just plain flat out hurt. I've fired Speer Gold Dots, GA Arms Gold Dots and Winchester's FBI load (all +P) and the buffalo bore +P 158s are in a completely different strata

[​IMG]