close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Laptop to TV cable and issues

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Apr 20, 2010.

1. pascal

pascal
    Expand Collapse

Hello,
    I purchased a vga to composite video adaptor and a headphone to RCA style connector cables and installed them on my tv on the video 2 inputs. I get sound but no video. The computer will not see the TV. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or is it just an incompatibility issue? Thanks for any advice.
    pascal

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. area727

area727
    Expand Collapse
    G23

Laptops are different, so the keys will vary from model to model, but you probably have to press somthing similar to "Fn" and "F8" (again, this vary's from laptop to laptop) at the same time. This tells the laptop to send the video signal through the VGA port. Once you figure out which 2 keys to press, you can toggle through and have the signal display on both laptop and TV, or if you press it again, it will only display on TV, and so on.

3. pascal

pascal
    Expand Collapse

Thanks area727,
    I tried that and it doesn't work. It works when I connect the VGA out from the laptop to a computer VGA input. But on the TV nothing. There is a graphics chipset utility and it will not list the TV. While in the display properties it shows 2 screens. Any idea on the next step???? Thanks again for your help.
    pascal

4. area727

area727
    Expand Collapse
    G23

Hmmmm. I'm no A/V expert by any means, but it sounds like it could be the VGA to component adapter cable. I would have figured when you cycle through the "Fn-F8" (or equivalent on your machine) combo, it would output the video signal regardless of what it is hooked up to.(unless theres some other video settings you're over looking on the laptop, and you're sure you're on the right TV input selection). It sounds like the conversion isnt picking up that the component end is connected to anything, hence, the computer detects no device on that end, so it doesnt think its hooked up to anything. I dont know if this is a faulty cable, or if its an inherent flaw to component video (as in, it never knows if both ends are ever connected to any devices).

I take it you dont have a VGA input on the TV? My TV's all have VGA input for PC's so its never been a problem for me.

It's probably an easy fix thats being overlooked. Someone else might have a better answer.

5. area727

area727
    Expand Collapse
    G23

I also just read that not all VGA to component adapters are for hooking up computer to display, you might want to double check the specs of the adapter.

6. pascal

pascal
    Expand Collapse

Hello again area727,
    I can guaranty that I know less than you. The adapter appears to just be a vga connector with an s-Video and a yellow RCA plug. I had to buy a cable to extend it to reach the conectors on the tv. I ran the yellow to the yellow input. The VGA port on the computer works as it did power up my seperate monitor, via VGA to VGA cable. It is possible that the adaptor may be bad, but it looks as if it is just a wire to wire junction with no components. The chipset utility that say it is to hook up and external monitor or tv only show the built in lcd screen. When cabled to the monitor it show the lcd screen and the monitor.
    A strange occasional and impossible to recreate occurred about four times in between what appears to be the normal action. On the display property when advanced is hit it usually goes to the hardware setup page. About for times it instead put up a pop up box that said the device was not recognized and would I like to have it recognized. I hit yes each time, but to no avail. I am stumped. It is a 1999 Panasonic television.
    pascal

7. tfaranyosi

tfaranyosi
    Expand Collapse

Using only a VGA to component cable does not work.
    The VGA out is analog and the component connection is digital.
    If your TV does not have VGA, S-video or Yellow video input port you have to buy a analog to digital converter box. It is not cheap but it is available at Radio Shack.
    My older TV has S-video in and my newer TV has VGA in. So for me it works on both TV-s with different cables of course.
    Call you laptop tech-support, they may have some ideas too. Some laptop have a special combo port and adapter which enables sound and video out.
    Good luck.

8. pascal

pascal
    Expand Collapse

Hello tfaranyosi,
    My TV has the yellow video input and the red and white audio inputs. It also has an S-Video input. I've never used or acquired the knowledge of that type of connector. My adapter VGA has the yellow RCA and a S-Video output cables.
    Can you make any sense out of it? I am very inexperienced in this area of expertise. I'll check into the laptop specs, thank you for your time.
    pascal

9. area727

area727
    Expand Collapse
    G23

DOH! I misread your OP. You said Composite, not component. My bad. :brickwall:

I found this bit of info online...

Because you are having problems, I am guessing your video card does not support this. Therefore, you will probably have too buy a converter box, and not a simple cable (like what you have).

Something along these lines... http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4724&seq=1&format=2

10. tfaranyosi

tfaranyosi
    Expand Collapse

OK. if your TV has a S-video and a Yellow video in than the next question is, does your laptop has S-video out or Yellow video out port.
    If the laptop has neither, I am pretty sure that there is a VGA to S-video converter cable.

Here it is http://www.amazon.com/EFORCITY-VGA-S-Video-RCA-Adaptor/dp/B000P3UB24 or go to Radio Shack.
    So you connect that adapter to your laptop VGA port and the S-video port on your TV, that gives you picture.
    Than you should have a cable which splits the headphone jack on your laptop to red and white RCA connector, which will connect to your TV and gives you sound.
    Usually TV-s have all this connections in a group for video games.
    Hope this helps.

11. area727

area727
    Expand Collapse
    G23

The cable will work so long as his video card supports "TV-out". Based on his problem, I am guessing it doesnt...

Edit: If he does not have TV-Out, then an actual converter box would be needed, and not a simple cable.

Quote from that amazon link...

#11 area727, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  12. G33

G33
    Expand Collapse
    Frisky!
    Millennium Member CLM

Both Laptop AND TV have to be set to work for this.
    TV from HMDI? to VGA input.
    Lappy video output was under Display.
    Had to guess until it worked.
    Just did this in my cabin big screen.
    :supergrin:

Ipod was a pita, but works now.

13. havensal

havensal
    Expand Collapse
    Nozzle Jockey
    CLM

It may be something as simple as your "2nd monitor" output not set to the proper refresh rate and resolution. Some old monitors only function under certain parameters, I assume older TV would be the same. You would think you would get some sort of "Out of range" message or something. :dunno:

14. pascal

pascal
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for the replies. I will attempt to address each of them.

area727, Thanks again and maybe you found the problem. I will attempt to find this out. There are no other video connectors on the laptop I can see.

tfaranyosi, Thank you also for the advice and suggestions. The adapter the link shows looks exactly like the one I have. So I am guessing the TV is old and it requires the converter box.

G33 hello and thank you. The tv is very old. Way before HDMI. The laptop is fairly new I'd say maybe 2 years old. I'll look for the output.

havensal, thank you for getting involved. The lowest setting I can put on the display properties is 16 bit color and 60 Hertz. The TV says that it is 120 VAC 60 Hertz. That didn't help.

As a seperate thought, I just remembered that I can plug my Canon Point and Shoot Digital Camera into the TV and it works. The cable plugs into the camera and has a yellow RCA type cable and a single sound white in this case RCA cable. It plugged into the back inputs and just worked.
    pascal

15. tfaranyosi

tfaranyosi
    Expand Collapse

pascal,
    If you have the cable what I pointed you to, did you try the yellow connection on it to the TV.
    Since your camera worked I think the laptop should work too.
    Do you know how to direct the video output from the laptop?
    Most of them will have a Fn + F? key combination to do that.
    Usually it will have 3 setting, laptop only, external display only or both displays.
    Or you may try to make all the connections, turn off the laptop and turn it back on.
    In most cases (specially if you can turn it on without opening the laptop display) the laptop will automatically redirect the video output.
    Where was your TV set, when you plug in the camera? It should be set the same way, when you plug in the laptop.
    Does it have a set-up menu or you have to set to a special Channel (3 or 4)?
    What make and model is your laptop anyway?
    Sorry for all the questions, I just try to help.

16. G33

G33
    Expand Collapse
    Frisky!
    Millennium Member CLM

:wow:

I think I had to turn off the lappy and turn it back on AFTER it was hooked to TV.

17. pascal

pascal
    Expand Collapse

Hello Gentlemen,
    I did some research on the computer a Dell Latitude d630 and from what I've read it didn't mention any type of TV output ability. It states it has a VGA out.

tfaranyosi,
    Thanks for your taking the time to ask the questions. The adapter looks like the one in the hyperlink, don't know if its the same brand. Yes I connected the yellow RCA type male into the tv. Didn't have an S-Video cable to reach. The program for the hardware accelerated video has a setup utility that help in selecting the drivers and stuff for the accepted outputs. When only the laptops monitor is on it only shows that. When connected to the tv it only shows the laptops monitor. When hooked to a regular computer monitor it shows both the laptop display and the separate computer monitor. Oh, yes we have the tv on channel 3. The tv has two sets of inputs, which show on the tv Video 1 which hooks to the cable and TV 2 which I used to hook up to a VHS. In the advertisement for that adapter on the site you provided it noted in the description the following
    This may be the trouble.

G33 Thanks for helping, I'll take any scraps of advice. To mention it I don't know if I turned the computer off. Will try again today.
    pascal

18. G33

G33
    Expand Collapse
    Frisky!
    Millennium Member CLM

I know very little...but just went through this stuff at the cabin.
    Read manuals, all three.
    Then did trial and error.
    Surgery is easier than this electronic stuff...:wow::whistling::rofl:

19. tfaranyosi

tfaranyosi
    Expand Collapse

Pascal,

Video out from the laptop is not a question.
    Every laptop is designed to support external display.

Here are some quotes from your laptop manual

You can attach an external monitor or projector to your computer and use it as an extension of your display (known as "dual independent display" or "extended desktop" mode). This mode allows you to use both screens independently and drag objects from one screen to the other, effectively doubling the amount of viewable work space.
    Switching the Video Image

Also

When you start the computer with an external device (such as an external monitor or projector) attached and turned on, the image may appear on either the computer display or the external device.

Press <Fn><F8> to switch the video image between the display only, the external device only, or the display and the external device simultaneously.

20. pascal

pascal
    Expand Collapse

tfaranyosi,
    I found the manual also and it states it only has VGA out. This in conjunction with the specifications on the adapter, that if you don't have TV our capability on the video card, which I couldn't find in the manual, then you need a converter box. This is pure assumption based on what I've read and from the info you members have been helpful enough to provide. I don't think the Dell has TV output capability. Thanks for your time, still accepting any suggestions.
    pascal