close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Laptop recommendation

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Paradigm, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm `

Feb 17, 2003
    I'm having a problem with my Gateway laptop, it just passed it's year warranty period. The problem is that sometimes when I love the laptop it will reboot, I assume it's a loose wire or something like that. I would like a new laptop, if anyone wants to buy this one and work on it let me know, if you don't move the laptop too much it works fine.

So now I am looking for a laptop with a 17" widescreen, I liked the Dell 9200 because it had 1,900 X 1,200 resolution which I would love, but I read way too many user complaints about the screen. I would like something with high resolution, I want a good laptop but I don't want to spend too much (no Alienware). I don't game much or do processor intensive work, but I still want something with some speed.

Anyone have any recommendations for my situation?

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Oct 23, 2001
    HotLanta, GA
    Please do a search here.

This topic comes up every 2 weeks.

3. Paradigm

Paradigm `

Feb 17, 2003
    Sorry buddy, but it won't allow a search of 17 or 17". I also can't find any talk of 17" notebooks in all my browsing.

4. Glk23

Glk23

Oct 22, 2004
    Alabama
    Go to cnet.com they have excellent reviews on the new 17 inch screens. Also try laptopsforless.

5. JMag

JMag

Feb 7, 2001
    USA:Love it or leave!
    www.notebookreview.com

6. DragonRider

DragonRider

Jun 6, 2002
    NoVA
    My wifes Dell does this sometimes also, I just reinstall the OS and problem fixed. I redo my personal installation minimum 4 times a year. Just a thought before dropping the cash.

John

Nevermind I just reread it and only read the Love and tried to figure it out. On the 3rd time I saw the Move.

7. Dell all the way. I had one assigned to me for about a year and a half without problems, and then I got a personal one about 6 months ago and it has gone without trouble. Love them both. You can't go wrong with a Dell.

8. Paradigm

Paradigm `

Feb 17, 2003
    I was about to buy the Dell 9200, but I read reviews and 98% of the people who got the higher resolution screen say it sucks.

I ordered a Sager last night.

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    It's probably just not feeling appreciated. Buy it some flowers and candy and take it to dinner before you love it.

Oh, wait, it's a Gateway. Make that a salt lick and some hay. ;)

10. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

Dec 14, 2001
    MN
    I like www.notebookforums.com for laptop info.

I've read mostly positive reviews of the 9200.

Goodluck with your decision, Max

11. LBTRS

LBTRS NRA Patron Life

Dec 12, 2004
    Goodyear, AZ
  12. erikd65

erikd65

Sep 26, 2004
    Spokane, Washington
  13. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Dec 15, 2004
    Tempe, AZ
    Dell or IBM (if you can afford it) are the only ways to go for laptops these days! :D

14. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    try updating the drivers/bios.