Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

LAPD required to shoot monthly??

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ottomatic, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    I have a friend who is adament that LAPD officers are required to go to the range monthly.
    Does any one have a definitive answer to this?
    We have to qualify twice a year, but that is it.
  2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    So even the male LAPD officers can say they have a monthly. or that it is that time of the month for them.

3. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    Highly doubtful, IMO, due to budget constraints. My agency has gone from qualifying four times a year to qualifying once (twice, if you include off-duty/ shotgun/ and patrol rifle quals, but not everyone does that one) and we only have 520 officers. Someone from the LAPD will be along to clear this up.

Sep 29, 2005
    With budget issues I highly doubt monthly quals. On the other hand I think it's a great idea because I'm all for more shooting and I'm tired of the standards being dumbed down.

When I started not all that long ago we had to hit the A zone to get 100% and lost points for hits outside the A zone. A shot off the silhouette was an instant fail and you had to re-shoot. Now all you have to do is hit the darn silhouette and you pass 100% and misses just reduce your score. It's so easy a trained monkey could do it!
  5. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    We shoot once a month at my agency - so it does exist that some agencies shoot that often. It is a different shoot though every month. Due to the weather, we shot with gloves and jackets on this month. We only do the state qualification every year. Each month is a different training scenario.
  6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    My state requires once a year, my agency tries for twice.

However, recently the new chief saw the aging cache of ammo our old chief had stored up (20k rounds of which is 9mm, which we haven't issued in 15 years) he has opened the range up every wednesday from 8am-12noon for officers to come shoot for free.

It is unpaid, but free ammo and training so I go every week that I am off, and usually shoot 500+ rounds.

Plus I can check out some of the old school .357mag revolvers, AR15's, and Beretta 9mm sub guns and shoot for free. Hard to beat that.

Sadly though I am usually alone. You would think that more guys would come out each week, but normally it is the training Sgt and me by my lonesome. I am worried that Chief will not continue to open the range if no one utilizes it.
  7. tc215

Jun 30, 2010
    LAPD recently started allowing patrol officers to carry 1911's after attending a transition school, and I think I read on the 1911 forum where a LAPD officer said that the 1911 guys had to shoot every month (but not everyone else).
  8. trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    I highly doubt it due to LAPDs size, couldn't imagine the scheduling nightmare that occurs.
  9. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    If you look around here...somebody quoted the shooting qula once before for LAPD. I do knwo the 1911 was more strenuous than the other platforms.
  10. We have two firearms training days per year and must qual once a year with our duty pistols.

I have to attend a minimum of two carbine training days. Since taking my training course last spring I went to 7 training days.
  11. It's a little complicated!! I worked for over 30 years at LAPD and retired in 2005. The average officer does NOT have to qualify every month!!

However if you want to carry a 45ACP and purchase all of your own gear, as I did, you need to go through a two day 45 school. upon successful completion of this school you have to qualify every month for a year!!

The same is true if you go to GLOCK school if you want to be authorized to carry one. They began issuing Glocks in 2005 or 2006 but if you were on the department before that you had to buy your own and go to school and qualify every month for one year in order to carry one on or off duty. The same with the 1911 and with an AR15.

Also the average officer only has to qualify every other month or 6 times a year.

The Specialized Surveillance Unit I was in for the last 7 years had a mandatory training day every month and almost half of the day was spent shooting several types of weapons we carried.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  12. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I think that the officers who carry 1911s and those who receive bonus pay for qualifying Expert have to qualify monthly.
  13. pal2511

Sep 15, 2002
    Ill come use it with you lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  14. pal2511

Sep 15, 2002
    Bonus pay as expert? Wtf

If it wasn't standard to do it once a year doubt we would but once. Nearest official range I can use is 40 miles away. Have not did a night shoot for 10 years!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  15. I am not sure about the 1911. That just became optional earlier this year but I think you just have to qualify once a month for the first year you carry it but I could be wrong.

I know if you shoot expert you don't have to shoot monthly. I qualified as an expert and later as a distinguished expert and you just had to qualify as expert or distinguished expert once every 6 months to keep your bonus pay!! But most officers keep in practice by shooting every month (and sometimes a couple of times a month ) to maintain expert or DX, especially DX which is not that easy!! :supergrin::supergrin:
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  16. SAR

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    They just radically changed the qualification schedule. It's quite complex, but in a nutshell:

1) First year of Glock or decocker transition, you qualify monthly. (Those who transition to Glock from Berettas, etc or those who transition to Berettas from Glock, etc).

2) All 1911 shooters must qualify monthly. This is because D Platoon and and SIS qualify monthly, and since they also carry 1911s, any others who carry 1911s must do the same.

3) Most all other officers qualify every other month.

4) Captains and above and officers with 20 or more years on the job only qualify a few times a year.

5) I qualify monthly... they don't kick me off the range... I have over 2o years on and only have to qualify a few times a year, but I don't care, I still shoot every month.

6) If you shoot bonus, you can shoot every week, even twice or three times a week. No one is stopping you... at one point I was shooting every week, but work got in the way.
  17. SAR

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    Here is the new qualification schedule as of September 1, 2010:

This doesn't account for rifle qualification which is done every quarter.

Lieutenants and Below with Less than 20 Years of Service.
    Sworn personnel of the ranks of lieutenants and below with
    less than 20 years of service shall qualify during each
    cycle with their primary duty handguns and during Cycle 1
    with their duty shotguns.

Lieutenants and Below with 20 to 29 Years of ServiceLieutenants and below with 20 to 29 years of service shall
    qualify during Cycle 1 with their duty shotguns, and during
    Cycles 2 and 5 with their primary duty handguns.

Captains and Above with Less than 30 Years of Service.
    Sworn personnel of the ranks of captains and above with
    less than 30 years of service shall qualify during
    Cycles 2 and 5 with their primary duty handguns and are
    exempt from shotgun qualification.

Sworn Personnel with 30 Years or More of Service.All sworn employees (regardless of rank) with 30 years or
    more of service are required to qualify one time per
    calendar year at their convenience during Cycles 2, 3, 5,
    or 6. This qualification requirement shall be met with
    their primary duty handguns and duty ammunition. Sworn
    personnel with 30 years or more of service are exempt from
    the required shotgun qualification.

- January: Shotgun;

- February/March: Primary Duty Handgun with Duty Ammunition;

- April/May: Primary Duty Handgun;

- June/July: FOS;

- September/October: Primary Duty Handgun;

- November/December: Primary Duty Handgun.

18. SAR, on number 2, do the 1911 shooters have to shoot monthly for as long as they carry the gun? I just kind of glossed over everything else in my response. I thought too much info on our complicated qualification system would confuse most people.!!:supergrin:
  19. SAR

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    Yes, those who carry 1911 must qualify every month for as long as they carry a 1911. They want everyone to match the 1911 qualification cycle of D Platoon and SIS. Then again, anyone who actually wants to carry a 1911 usually has no problem qualifying once a month. You can always tell who the shooters in your squad are by the guns they carry..
  20. ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    Hey guys, thanks for the info. I am surprised that my friend's info was at least partially correct. With cost of ammo and training time at a premium these days I am amazed that they make that effort.