close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

LAPD Bodyguard .380 Qualification Course?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by 3Speedyfish3, Aug 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 3Speedyfish3

3Speedyfish3

Jun 12, 2011
    Florida
    Smith & Wesson confirmed LAPD officers were approved to carry the S&W Bodyguard .380 and Ruger LCP for on duty back-up and off duty.

"In order to deploy either of these firearms, officers must first successfully shoot the Department’s “Back-Up Qualification Course”, at either the Davis Training Facility or the Elysian Park Police Academy. The “Back-Up Qualification Course” must be shot with Department approved .380 ammunition only. Officers must supply their own duty ammunition for the qualification course and for deployment in the pistol. Upon completion of the “Back-Up Qualification Course” of fire, officers shall take their qualification receipt to the Department Armory and have the pistol entered on to the Department’s Firearms Inventory and Tracking System (FITS)"

Can anyone out there tell us the Back-Up Qualification Course?

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2011/04/20/lapd-adopts-ruger-sw-380-pistols/

Randall

2. Maybe Lawman800 will chime in and shed some light.....

3. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    For my agency, we shoot the standard duty gun qualification except for the 25 yard mark. We just shoot 5,7, and 15

4. Same with us.

What is the LAPD approved .380 ammo? I'm guessing Gold Dots.

5. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    For the .380 does the qualification course of fire include pistol whipping the target? :whistling:

Randy

6. mikegun

mikegun

Jun 22, 2006
    colorado
    380 Hornady, critical defense, 90 grain FTX.

7. With a .380 piece of plastic? Sure, then arrest the beatee for vandalism!

8. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Fixed.

9. I stand corrected....:rofl::rofl:

10. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    I qualified with my Ruger LCP recently. You have to use duty loads which are the Hornady Critical Defense as someone already indicated. It's a modification of the standard course-- you shoot at two targets, left and right and if memory serves it was 25 rounds at the 3 and 7 yard range. I can't remember the exact course of fire off the top of my head but there was strong hand, and weak hand shooting as well as two to the body, one to the head... pretty easy overall.