close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lantern Questoin...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lampshade, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Lampshade

Lampshade

For those familiar with gas lanterns.... can you tell me if this mantle is correctly installed?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. blk69stang

blk69stang

Looks kinda fubar'd to me. I bet you can get it to light with a match, but it may be difficult and not give really great light.

Reasons:

1) There is a hole/rip in the mantle. Dead center. That will cause gas to escape too easily there, will create a hot spot, and is just geneally "uncool".

2) The mantle is not expanded very well. You should be shooting for more of a "full coin-purse" shape. The more surface area, the better it will work. That one is kinda "puckered" funny.

3) The bottom of the mantle (top in this picture) also appears to be open, or torn. If the gas escapes there, you're losing a ton of efficiency. Think of the mantle like a fuel filter- if it has holes, it can't do it's job as well.

Again, this will probably light with a match, but that sparker thingy I doubt will get the job done in its current state.

For as cheap as mantles are, I'd start over. Expand the mantle fully, make sure it isn't caught on the sparky thing (so it won't tear the mantle), then burn it good with a match and you're off to the races.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

3. Lampshade

Lampshade

Thanks, the directions were pretty crappy.

Once I get some new ones, am I supposed to "puff them out" simply by pulling the sides apart?

4. gigab1te

gigab1te

From the pick, I agree with the other poster it looks like you have a hole in yours. I'd go with a fresh mantle (they are really cheap, even Walmart sells them in the camping section). Make sure the drawstrings are tied on tightly and the fabric is evenly spaced.

I've heard old mantles were slightly radioactive, so be careful disposing of this one (they are very brittle once they get used, and you don't want to inhale any of it when it breaks up while removing). Of course, I've probably used literally a hundred or more of the old ones, and apart from becoming exceptionally handsome, strong, and intelligent, I haven't noticed any effects from them. These days, we know that every little thing people used to do is dangerous...

5. gigab1te

gigab1te

Yes, when they are new, they are soft like silk fabric. Puff them out with your fingers and make sure the fabric is evenly spaced. Also, make sure you tie them on tight, or they can fall off when bumping or jolting the lantern. You only get one chance to do this, because once you fire them, they can't be touched again. The better the fabric is puffed out, the brighter they burn, and I think they last a lot longer that way than if there are folds or kinks in the fabric.

6. Lampshade

Lampshade

This is a brand new mantle.

It was much poofier before I burned it, then it collapsed around the metal rod upon which it rests.

I just ordered a few extra.

7. Lampshade

Lampshade

Ahh, I didn't do any tying on, I just slipped it over the post.

8. gigab1te

gigab1te

Some mantles are made to clip on, most that I've seen use little drawstrings to hold them in place.

9. Lampshade

Lampshade

Yea, I just confirmed actually that this is a slip on mantle. The lantern in question is a Coleman Compact InstaStart Propane Lantern.

So I guess the mantle is actually supposed to ensconce that nearest metal rod?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  10. captainstormy

captainstormy

It might work, but not very well. Like other posters have said, its damaged and not as spread out as the one's I've typically seen/used.

11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!!!

12. RichJ

RichJ

Leave it. It is fine and installed correctly.

1.) All mantles shrivel up like that when you burn them, reguardless of how "puffed out" they are when you install them. They will shrivel and reduce to an ash-like state making them very fragile and prone to breaking if bumped.

2.) It doesn't matter if it has a hole in it, they typically do once you light them and it doesn't reduce the lamps' efficiency. I have a lantern at home right now where one mantle is just hanging by a small piece at the top yet the whole thing still glows as bright as a new one. It is just as efficient as if it were whole and unbroken. Leave it on until it completely falls off if you want.

13. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

That is a whole different animal than the usual gas lanterns Coleman makes. Looks like it uses different mantles that tie at top and bottom. You might want to make sure you have the correct mantle.