close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Land line telephones...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by railfancwb, Apr 26, 2013.

1. railfancwb

railfancwb

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

I still have one at home. In some/many of the automated telephne answering systems pulse dialing can provide for a direct connection to a live person, possibly because * and # are not available.

3. captainstormy

captainstormy

I didn't know people paid so much for old phones. There has to be a small fortune sitting around in some of my relatives houses.

I know my uncle Russel is still using the same rotary dialing phone he was using when I was a kid. Which is the one his father put in the house probably sometime in the late 70s.

They have had it fixed a couple of times even because he likes the phone. I didn't even know people could fix those old phones still.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

My daughter has one in her closet somewhere. About 10 years ago, she was rummaging around my wife's uncle's house and found it. At the time, it may have weighed 1/4 what she did. She pulled it out a few months ago. LOL

I have a client that worked on install for the telco. He said that even into the early 80's, you could still go in and find the old phones in people's houses. Like pick up the receiver and talk into the handle type phones. RENTED FROM THE PHONE COMPANY! LOL FOR OVER 50 YEARS!!!!

5. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I have 3 old Western Electric rotaries left over from the '80s when AT&T decided that customers could buy their phones for less than $20 or pay a monthly rental fee of $3 or $4 on each phone. The phones are much older than the '80s, that's just when I bought them.

I keep a red one on the bottom shelf of the nightstand just in case my cell phone isn't working, although the ringer is disabled. As long as the FiOS package contains a land line I'll keep a dial phone. :)

6. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

I've got a really nice red one sitting on the kitchen counter. I mostly use it to answer calls because so often you have to press 1 for English when you're calling out. It is kinda fun to actually dial a call once in a while. Plus it sounds cool when it rings. I found a template online for the number card that goes inside the dial so it has that too.

7. Dennis in MA

Does pulse dialing even work anymore in a digital landscape? I've got Comcast for phone, so no more twisted pair.

8. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

The whole time I was growing up, my parents had the same rotary wall phone. After about 40 years, the phone company told my father he'd have to change it because they would no longer support pulse dialing. He complained about it until the day he died.

We have a landline because cell service is iffy where we live. But it certainly isn't a rotary. I've never asked if one of those would actually work.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  9. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

In 1997, I was dating a girl who's dad was too cheap to pay for touch tone (cost extra). Pretty sure it's won't work VOIP.

10. itstime

itstime

I wouldn't think the system would still handle that technology.. I wonder if I look hard enough I could find one in a box somewhere?? I should try to see if it even works. I love the old days.

11. Dennis in MA

It was a dollar extra and my father wouldn't pay for it in 1990. :upeyes:

I grew up in Easton, MA. It is a fairly historic town. My big claim-to-fame Easton story is that in 1985, it had the second-oldest phone lines in the country. I think some backwater town in Iowa with 4 residents had an older one.

This isn't some town in the middle of nowhere with the same two families for 8 generations. Easton is a half-hour from Boston. It was cutting edge in the 1860's and a stop on the big-band tour in the 20's. Somewhere along the line, it fell off the map. LOL

So you COULDN'T use touch-tone. It wasn't designed for it. Pulse only. And I could dial FOUR numbers and get anyone in town. FOUR! Think of how old that system is - not 5. FOUR!

Oh, and the static was intense. Like ALL THE TIME. You would be talking to one person, it would go full-static like a walkie-talkie and you'd end up talking to someone else. :rofl:

So. Anyhow - it's 1980-something. Lee Van Cleef had some ninja show on TV. One season wonder. In one episode, Lee was injured and sleeping on some lady's office couch. She unplugged something on the wall and left.

It was a year or more before I discovered that, lo and behold, modern phones didn't use the 4-prong method of wall connection. :rofl:

I discovered it b/c my room was somehow wired for phone and I got a cool Cobraphone in 84/85 after divestiture - when you could BUY a phone. My dad had to rewire the outlet so I could use it. Of course. clickclickclickclick clickclickclick click clickclick to dial.

Those were fun days. Just fascinating to see the technology that I've experienced in just MY short lifetime.

12. PVolk

PVolk

We used to keep one in the closet for when we lost electricity. But we don't even have a landline anymore these days.

13. Dennis in MA

Come to think of it, we've got a slimline on the kitchen wall outlet. But it's taped closed because we keep bumping it. I've got a UPS on the Comcast box. I'm pretty sure if the electricity craps out, I won't have phone anyhow, but the Slimline blends in better than that ugly wall-mount plug.

14. CAcop

CAcop

My dad had one sometime into the 90s. He had it as his Batphone by the bed for when work called him n the middle of the night. He didn't want to have to get up anymore than he had to. The ringer was too loud for him so he opened it up and wrapped about an inch of electrical tape around the bells so it just made a clicking sound.

15. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I have one in my home office, It is seldom used but it is there.

16. kirbinster

kirbinster

I have one at home, and it is even a payphone!

17. samuse

samuse

I know my grandma had and used several in her house until 'o8.

18. bamacisa

bamacisa

We have one. It is a wall phone by the kitchen table. My mother, who lived in our house had it installed years ago. (around 1970,s) It still works perfectly. If it is not broke, don't fix it. We have five other phones....all of the are push button cordless, including one in the kitchen. We also have two cell phones and a smart phone.

19. Python-Hunter

Python-Hunter NRA Life Member

I think that these old, Ma Bell, Cast Iron, handsets were considered a self-defense tool.
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"It was a dollar extra and my father wouldn't pay for it in 1990."

My 80-year-old aunt and uncle iive south of Charlottesville on part of the old home place. Two years ago their land line started acting up. The repairman told them he wouldn't mention it to the phone company, but they were still on a party line and being charged the reduced rate even though there wasn't another house on the circuit and hadn't been for 40 years.

Do I need to explain what a party line is? :supergrin:

Prior to WW2 almost all U.S. residential phone service was party lines. You had to listen for your assigned ring pattern - two shorts and a long or whatever.