close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ladies, need pistol recommendation for my daughter

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by beforeobamabans, Nov 9, 2011.

1. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans
    Expand Collapse
    FYPM

She is 24 and, living on her own for the past year, it has dawned on her that maybe her old man isn't crazy to be carrying a sidearm all the time. She has minimal experience, all of it with my Glocks, 17, 26 and 30SF. I was surprised that her favorite of these three was the .45 which she felt had less recoil than the 9's. I am open to suggestions other than Glock and also interested in learning how you ladies carry.

Fire away!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. huggytree

huggytree
    Expand Collapse

my wife also prefers larger caliber guns...she says a .22 isnt fun

i really doubt many women can handle a .45...i wouldnt go that far

my wife likes the size of the g27....and i am considering getting her a g26 for Christmas for concealed carry

i personally think the g19 is perfect for women

3. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

Barring hand injury or arthritis, a woman can handle just about anything.
    That is provided they are trained and are not afraid of the recoil.

Any ladies I have taken shooting turned out to be recoil junkies.

The best a person can do in letting a woman pick out a firearm is to let them fire a variety of guns. Either rental guns or personally owned guns. An inexperienced but safe person should maybe stick to something that is easy to use. You could hardly go wrong with a good .357 magnum.

4. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans
    Expand Collapse
    FYPM

Have her shoot it first. My daughter did not like the 26 which surprised me. I think a lot of it had to do with the grip fitting her better on the .45. My priorities for her will be #1 fit, #2 capacity and #3 caliber. The 19 will definitely be in the picture.

Are the ladies carrying in a traditional belt mounted holster like the guys or in their purse or some other way?

#4 beforeobamabans, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  5. dustbusterplus

dustbusterplus
    Expand Collapse

While I am only in college, we went through this with my mom. My dad loves going to gun shows and got her holding several handguns. She really liked the S&W Bodyguard 380 with laser cuz the weight up front would help with recoil too. As it normally goes with these things, we went and shot it and we had some other guns with us too. She has issues with the racking a slide, but the trigger pull is even more of an issue. Surprisingly she really liked the Glock 19, that is until my dad brought out his Colt Defender 9mm. She loved shooting that, but she still had issues with racking the slide. As it turned out, she doesn't carry any of them, mainly due to not having a CHL. This is just my experience with my mom, so take it with a grain of salt.

#5 dustbusterplus, Nov 9, 2011
  6. Steve50

Steve50
    Expand Collapse

try the 147 grain bullet in the 9

7. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

Ruger LCR

8. mj9mm

mj9mm
    Expand Collapse

is the idea to conceal, if so what size can she conceal, or how would she conceal, on her person, in a purse, maybe consider the options available:dunno:no differant than a man's questions in determining a proper weapon

9. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper
    Expand Collapse

Some guys always want to buy the women in their life small guns or pocket guns, but often the smaller guns are more difficult to shoot.

You stated your daughter likes Glock then stick with what she knows and likes. If she is comfortable with the 45 ACP then go with it.

I shot a S&W Bodyguard yesterday and I was not impressed with the accuracy. I realize it is a belly gun and it serves a purpose, but it is not for me.

After shooting the bodyguard I picked up my G22 and realized carrying a full sized gun or a Glock sized gun (such as a G27) is worth the added weight and difficulty of concealment. If I have to use it, I will be glad to have the bigger gun I can shoot well and have faith in.

10. Master_Blaster1911

Master_Blaster1911
    Expand Collapse
    Predatory

Recoil is more about perception of acceleration than all else. If she prefers the .45 then the .45 is what she should shoot. Ignore people offering opinions that don't understand this simple fact.

The 30SF shoulds good work. Get her some more training. It will make both you and her feel far more confident.

Best of luck to you both.

ETA: My wife carries a gun in a hip purse (and only the gun), I created a method for her to carry in her regular purse- I used a cutting board cut to the right size to fit inside a thin zipper pocket inside the purse with a holster afixed through the side of the zipper pocket in the wider body of the purse. holding the gun in place at the proper orientation for best draw.

Like your daughter my wife prefers a .45 over the 9mm, so much for ladies can't handle a .45.

#10 Master_Blaster1911, Nov 9, 2011
  11. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

Get her a Tec-9 for around the house. It don't kick much and scares the bad guys a whole bunch.

And just to overawe them, double clip the magazines with jungle clips.

The bad guys won't know what to think.

Deaf

12. bambikilr

bambikilr
    Expand Collapse

give her the one she likes...30

13. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

I usually recommend an all steel snubby loaded with standard .38 Specials for the ladies that have difficulty with recoil and racking the slide. They can always upgrade to something else later after they gain some experience.

The snubbies are more difficult to shoot well through and how much practice it will take to become proficient with one is something to consider.

Definitely don't go with an Airweight for the recoil sensitive.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

14. engineer151515

engineer151515
    Expand Collapse

second.

It is so damned convenient, she will have it when she needs it.

plus

pepper spray - for the drunks you can't just shoot.

plus

G-19 with Surefire attached light for the nightstand beside the bed.
    Because you need to light up and identify before you pull the trigger.

<<< has a daughter.

15. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo
    Expand Collapse

You're talking in circles. If you're wife can handle the recoil of a 27 or even a 26 then the recoil of a 21 will be almost nothing. You're last line is moronic, every woman is different and so will be their weapon preferences. My wife likes my G17 of all the guns she's shot but really wants to try a heavy 9mm, she hated the S&W 380 she shot. My Mother in law is all about the 4" revolver in 38sp.

The key is get a group of people together will all different kinds of handguns and let her decide what it is she wants after firing them all. One of the biggest things I hear with guys selling almost new guns, especially pocket guns, is that they bought them for their wives, gf's, daughters and the women hated them.

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like the grip is important. Circumference and number of fingers that fit on it.

You need to take her shopping and let her hold a variety of handguns and pick the one she likes. Really that simple :)

Oh, also keep in mind the generation 4 glocks will feel different in the grip than the older models. Maybe she'll like a 26 G4, with the slimmer grip. Who knows.

17. SamRudolph

SamRudolph
    Expand Collapse

Let her pick.

18. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper
    Expand Collapse

... and then the next question, how to carry it?

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

About the main difference my wife points out is that women's clothes tend not to have big pockets. Therefore a Glock 26 is not a pocket gun. Nor is a Ruger LCP.

Other than that, find a holster that's comfy, strap it to your waist, have a bulky layer of clothes, and go. And "comfy" depends on the individual, different shapes, likes, dislikes. So that is a personal search.

Purses, day planners, man bags, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, are all possible but less than ideal for keeping a gun secure on you at all times.

#19 ithaca_deerslayer, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  20. Psychman

Psychman
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

SP 101 loaded with 38sp critical defense rounds. Simple to load and fire. It is always in a "safe" condition.