Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

L.A.P.D. Changing pistols?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Trigger Finger, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I heard a couple of days ago that the LAPD is going to begin issuing recruits the Glock 17 instead of the 4th Generation Glock 22!! They might have already began doing this.

I heard the Glock 22 had problems with the practice ammo and 9MM ammo would be cheaper. LAPD has budget problems and are trying to avoid layoffs.

I also heard that as soon as the Glock contract is up the LAPD may be going the the S&W M&P.

I have to admit that I never thought that a large department would go BACK to 9MM after transitioning to 40 cal but I have heard that recruits find it more difficult to shoot the 40 accurately!!

Perhaps SAR can shed some more light on this!!
  2. seang

Apr 13, 2004
    Doesn't surprise me at all. Saint Paul PD just did this, switching from Glock 22's to allowing officer choice of Gen4 Glock 17 or M&P 9mm. Wichita, KS is going to be allowing the same choices of G17 or M&P 9 after having carried G22's. I wish I could carry a 9mm, but were limited to .40 or .45. At least I get a choice.

3. Landric

Landric Supervisor?

I tried to persuade our chief to switch back to the 9mm when we got new Glocks last year. Couldn't get him to. The kicker is that he wanted to, but he didn't think he could sell it to the non-gun troops who would see going "down" to the 9mm as a step backward.
  4. MNOD Glocker

MNOD Glocker always around

Aug 13, 2008
    Central Minnesota

My department (just north of the Metro area), just switched from Glock 22's and 23's to Glock 17's and 19's. I was told the change was due to malfunctions even without the dedicated lights. I found when I used newer magazines my 22 functioned fine with a light attached. I do have to say though, our last training day when we shot, with our new handguns which are all third generations by the way, our hit percenteges department wide increased drastically. Perhaps that is why LAPD may be switching back to 9mm's? I will say even for myself, I am more accurate with my 17 and I have much faster follow up shots.
  5. A nearby department is transitioning from the 22 to the 19. I can definitely see the benefit to it. The biggest of which is improved shooting by the general populous. Most cops aren't gun nuts, so if you can give them a gun that they can shoot better with, why not?

With large departments saving roughly 8 cents a round could make a big difference in the budget. We usually burn through 250 rounds or more during quarterly range training. So with my small department, switching to 9mm would save about $1600 a year. If the department has 200 officers that savings would jump to $16,000. Which in the long run isn't a ton of cash but it's something.
  6. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

Sep 4, 1999
    Newburgh, In. U.S.
    We, the Indiana State Police went from the Glock 22 to the Glock 17 when the new Glock 22's we were issued had FTF problems during the transition training. They took the path of least resistance.
  7. G22Dude

Jan 23, 2009
    Wow, I didn't realize so many people were having issues with the G22. My agency has issued them for 10 years now and we don't have that many issues
  8. Milltown

Jul 22, 2008
    What kind of agencies issue anything but a .45? :whistling:

Glock 21 all the way baby!! :cool:
  9. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Helmer! Where you been, dude?!?
  10. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Too many ****** bags at my department that would pewp their pants "downgrading" to 9mm.

11. CW Mock

CW Mock

Feb 4, 2006
    Yeah, I think it's pretty much the same here. Won't go up to a .45 because of cost, and won't go to 9 ... for who knows why. :dunno:
  12. The way I understand it, at least with LAPD, is there were no issues with the 3rd generation Glock 22's. Only with the 4th generation!!!
    Something to do with the ammunition used in training, not the duty ammo. I heard that Glock changed all of the firing pins for the department. This was not a problem with the 3rd generation, and left a bad taste with the LAPD.

This came as a surprise to me. I thought the 4th generation was supposed to be an improvement!! Guess I am lucky to have a 2nd gen G22 and 3rd generation G27 and 21sf.
  13. SAR

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    I will have to check. I do know that they were having problems with the Glock 22s and rail mounted lights. Curiously, they were not having the same issues with the other Glock calibers. In any event, I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea. For the most part, the recruits will shoot better with the Glock 17 anyways, and when they graduate, they are free to go to the Glock 22 or Glock 21 or even a 1911 for that matter (as long as they transition). Many recruits are not especially gun people, so perhaps a Glock 17 is where they should stay.

I have also heard that they are looking at the M&Ps. I personally will not ne switching to an M&P if and when that happens. I have no problems with my Glock 21, and I am also waiting to go to 1911 school.
  14. ArmaGlock

ArmaGlock Glock Armorer

Dec 28, 2005
    Damn, I wish we had that many options. We can only carry a Glock 22 as our primary. I haven't had any issues with mine though, even with a light.

And Glock has disappointed me with the release of the gen 4s. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  15. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    That's actually not surprising. The issues with the WMLs are almost exclusively limited to the .40 caliber guns and have been well documented.
  16. Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Sometimes I think the Glock is at its best in its original 9mm version.
  17. Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    The largest city Police Department, NYPD uses the Glock 19 and they seem to be happy with it.
  18. I like LAPD's concept to have recruits start out with the easiest to use caliber (9mm) and after demonstrating basic competency, be allowed to upgrade to another caliber/gun. Those motivated enough will do so, and the rest are still well served with a 9mm.

And I do wonder why Glock decided to fix their 9mm platforms when they weren't broken!
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  19. I agree 100%. I can see a problem with larger agencies not wanting to stock hundreds of thousands of rounds of multiple handgun calibers....:whistling:

This is why I just love Gen 2 Glock 22's and 23's specifically.....:supergrin:
  20. Oh yeah, inventory control... I forgot. :embarassed: