close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kydex holster wear??

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by bossmannjb78, Nov 28, 2011.

1. bossmannjb78

bossmannjb78

May 30, 2009
    Besides not using a kydex holster how can you prevent wear on the finish? Thanks

2. g2122

g2122

Dec 17, 2008
    I have a Glock 23 and use a Comp-tac Infidel Kydex holster for it. I have worn it several times over the past hear and taken the gun in and out of the holster several times. So farm the only wear I see is in front of the trigger guard and that is barely noticeable. I have a Comp-tac MTAC for my Glock 22 and have not worn it as much. There is a little bit of wear at then end of the slide at the muzzle. This is on the leather side only. there is no wear on the side of the handgun that is against the kydex part of the holtser. I don't have any experiences with handguns with less durable or more conventional finishes like bluing, though.

3. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Any holster I've come across regardless of material its made out of will cause some holster wear eventually. Just the way it is. If you want to carry the gun your going to have to accept that.

4. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

Feb 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use Comp-tac kydex holsters with several Glocks on a daily basis and find them to wear the Glock finish the least of any holsters I have used. Can't speak for other kydex brand holsters. Key is to keep the kydex clean. Bill

5. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

Jun 13, 2006
    Texas
    :faint: Don't shoot, carry, or clean the firearm. That is about the only way. Wear is just the nature of the beast. Wear=Character......TXPO

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  6. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Oct 23, 2009
    You could keep it in a sock, under your mattress.:whistling:

7. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Leather will wear the holster more so than kydex, just deal with it. Holster wear is a fact of life if you're gonna carry.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. The best way is to buy a duplicate gun and never open the box.

Other than that, you're going to have some holster wear if you carry it in a holster.

Deal with it.

Just like a new car, it's gonna get scratched eventually.

9. ken grant

ken grant

Apr 3, 2004
    middle ga.
    I use a Silicone Spray on all my holsters, leather,Kydex or Plastic like the Glock Sport/Combat.

I give them a coat inside and let dry,makes drawing easier,smoother and seems to give less wear on the pistol

10. vmann

vmann Controller

Jan 22, 2010
    DFW
    you spray silicone on the inside of a leather holster....that cant be good...

11. vmann

vmann Controller

Jan 22, 2010
    DFW
    most kydex holsters are pretty easy on the finish, they for the most part only contact the trigger guard...

12. It's a common practice with our new duty holsters if they grab at the gun when an officer tries drawing it. I've seen it done for 12 years with no negative effect on the leather holsters.

I used this method on a new Safariland for my duty S&W 4006Tac with a Streamlight TLR1 mounted. Before spraying the interior, that bastard would NOT let go of the weapon. It was like Level 7 retention! Works great now.

And for the OP, holster wear gives a Glock the character it is lacking when new. I STRIVE for some wear on my guns. Makes em looked used and loved, which they are. The frustrating part is that Glocks take FOREVER to show a little hint of wear on the slides. I've had a certain G27 for 15+ years and its frame looks almost new. Might have to drag it behind the truck on a string. :cool::cool::cool:

13. flyingillini

flyingillini

Nov 2, 2011
    You can hit the slide with a coat of Norrells if the wear gets too bad.

14. EKUJustice

EKUJustice

Apr 18, 2007
    I have found the Kydex to wear more than leather at the muzzel. Its going to happen if you carry it.

15. Gperfection

Gperfection

Sep 27, 2005
    N.E. Colorado
    Carrying a gun=Holster wear
    Holster wear=Character
    That's my take on it!

16. Serafino

Serafino

Oct 19, 2011
    You COULD stick to softer plastics like the Galco Matrix (some folks have had problems with failing rivets), the Glock sports/combat holsters (just keep all dirt out of it and off the gun), or the iTac holsters, but accepting wear is a sign of a mature attitude about a carried weapon being a tool rather than a fetish, so... ;)

17. ken grant

ken grant

Apr 3, 2004
    middle ga.
    If you have a small frame Glock and want a Glock S/C. The large frame S/C will work well with it and will not wear the finish as bad as the small frame S/C.

I really like the Glock S/C and use them more than any other holster I have when wearing OWB.
    I either wear it inside the belt or outside the belt depending on dress.

18. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Same with my MTAC.

19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Sep 12, 2006
    Rocking Chair
    That you don't sleep on.

ETA- my SW442 goes from nylon ankle holster carried 8-9 hrs daily for 5 days a week, to a kydex Alabama Holster Pocket Holster for use a few hours a week. The black finish is starting to be worn off the sharper edges of the frame and I assume it will end up looking like a 642 frame.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011