close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

KY CCW question

Discussion in 'Bluegrass Glockers' started by TCKDRVR20, Feb 16, 2008.

1. TCKDRVR20

TCKDRVR20
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel

Hey guys, i'm a Kentucky resident considering aquiring a CCW permit, in fact i'm going to take the handgun safety class (6hour + range) thats required prior to applying for the permit as soon as my new holster arrives. Question I have is after the trainging course will I have to take another course to get the permit?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Berretta9

Berretta9
    Expand Collapse

Nope, you take and pass the CCW class. In two weeks or so you get a certificate that says you took and passed ( you'd have to be really lame not to pass ) the class. You take that certificate with some more money to the sheriff of you county and in 30 or so days you get a notice that you can pick it up. Are you near Louisville ?

3. TCKDRVR20

TCKDRVR20
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel

Great. Nah I'm close to Pikeville but the wife & I frequent Louisville.

4. Hamrhed

Hamrhed
    Expand Collapse
    AKs & Glocks

Our class was a work group of about 10 folks who took about a 3-4 hour class (instruction/videos/written test), and then some live fire practice before the target test (must hit 13 of 20 shots from about 7 yards)... Our instructor was excellent, and several of our group qualified w/ Highpoint 9mms- I used a G23 :whistling:

5. Captain38

Captain38
    Expand Collapse

ACTUALLY, passing is hitting the silhouette a minimum of ELEVEN (11) times out of twenty (20)! Also, you needn't wait for that new holster as all shooting is done with you beginning at a low ready stand-by position with your handgun already in your hand(s).

6. TCKDRVR20

TCKDRVR20
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel

I just took my class today and did great, I think I missed one question on the written exam and kept all rounds on target despite using crap ammo (umc 230gr ball). I should have my certificate in 10-14 days. A couple people in the class used hi-points and did fine with them, the others used Glocks and I used my Sig P220.

7. crabpainter

crabpainter
    Expand Collapse

As I understand it your certificate is good for life. One of my prior posts concerned the wait after submitting paperwork/fee/photo to sheriff's office. Received my card last week. It was a test of patience for me.

Congrats

8. KYMike

KYMike
    Expand Collapse
    9mm Apologist

Congrats!

I think I actually waited longer for the certificate than the card, not to say the card was exactly a speed demon either. Hurry up and wait...hurry up and wait.... IME, any timeframe you're given in this process is an overly optimistic best case guess.

Or, as it was put to me, "Just because we say something should take between X and Y weeks, doesn't mean we have ever, or will ever, get it done in that amount of time. You'll get it when you get it...and not a day sooner."

9. Berretta9

Berretta9
    Expand Collapse

I think the volume of people taking the classes are up. I know I have more students a month than I did 6 months ago. A lot of people are saying that it's something they want to do before the elections. The state still has the same number of people processing the paperwork. Takes a little longer than it used to.

10. TCKDRVR20

TCKDRVR20
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel

Yeah we had quite a few attend the class, one side of the room was an entire family including a little old granny who shot the hell out of her .38 :) It was a positive experience and everyone had a good time. A gentleman who sat next to me moved here from Texas and couldn't believe how much more lenient Kentucky was in acquiring a CCDW permit. Apparently in Texas if you take your class using a revolver, you can only carry a revolver and vice versa.

11. Berretta9

Berretta9
    Expand Collapse

thats probably not a bad idea. The shooting component is probably a little too easy. At 7 yards the shots should all be in a small group. They allow anywhere on the target and only 11 out of 20 have to do that.

12. crabpainter

crabpainter
    Expand Collapse

Hey TCKDRVR20, did you have to demonstrate the ability to disassemble/clean your firearm?

13. TCKDRVR20

TCKDRVR20
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel

Of course, all firearms were inspected prior to the live fire exercise. I too admit that the firing course should be a little more challenging, students should be instructed to use available cover and perhaps move while firing.

14. KYMike

KYMike
    Expand Collapse
    9mm Apologist

I would tend to agree. I'm all for carry for those that choose to do so, but if people are going to carry in public I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a shooter could keep all the rounds on a man-sized target at that distance. If that gun clears leather on a crowded street, my question is....where the heck are those other 9 rounds going? Why not expect that a shooter keep all 20 on that huge target? Or 11/20 on a paper-plate sized target? Or 11/20 on the paper plate and the rest can't leave the man-sized target around it?

I may be opening myself up here, but I'd even be in favor of yearly qualifying. For most of us here, it's not an issue....we USE our guns. But how about the folks who get a gun in response to a threat, shoot less than a box of ammo to learn how it works, get a permit, throw the gun a purse, pocket, or briefcase, and never fire it again? You've all been at a public range and seen the people I'm talking about... In most cases I'm not in favor of more strict gun legislation, but I think it's fair to expect people carrying a weapon to maintain some level of proficiency with it.

Now...where's my foil hat?? :scared:

15. Berretta9

Berretta9
    Expand Collapse

I agree. I seem to remember that both you and your wife got all of your rounds on the paper and in a respectable group.

16. KYMike

KYMike
    Expand Collapse
    9mm Apologist

I think you're right, and that actually proves my point. At the time we took the class, she had only been to a gun range 6 or 8 times (over a couple of years) and some of those she only fired a mag or two. To top it all off, she was extremely nervous about the range portion. Neither of us are expert shots, we don't shoot competitively, and we don't get to the range nearly often enough. If we could both keep all of them on paper, I don't think it's an unreasonable standard.

And for all her worries about not passing it, after we left she said, "Shouldn't that have been harder?" :rofl: That's my girl!

17. Famas1

Famas1
    Expand Collapse

I am having a hard time finding a CCW class here in Pike County.
    I am ready to travel to any other county in Kentucky to pass my CCW.
    Does anyone of you know of classes locations and maybe schedules in KY?
    Thanx

18. Berretta9

Berretta9
    Expand Collapse

I sent you a P/M. If you want to drive to Louisville it's no problem.

19. Famas1

Famas1
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I will be calling you.

20. crabpainter

crabpainter
    Expand Collapse

Buds here in Paris usually offers CCW classes on Sundays. It's a one day course and Bud's son does (or did) the training.