close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Krav Mega

Discussion in 'The Martial Arts Forum' started by m1shooter, Mar 21, 2007.

1. m1shooter

m1shooter
    Expand Collapse

Hi guys Im looking at taking krav mega lessons, has anyone here taken any classes on it, if so what did/didnt you like about it?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. A_Fletcher

A_Fletcher
    Expand Collapse
    Yardwork Ninja

Are you taking these classes for fun or for a purpose? If it's for fun, stick with it. At least it's something to do on Monday and Tuesday afternoons. If you're hoping to master it as a form of unarmed self defense, there's alot better arts out there than Krav Maga.

3. Islander-11

Islander-11
    Expand Collapse
    Meat detective

There may be more flowery arts out there, but as fighting systems go, Krav Maga is very solid.

I used my Krav Maga last week in a violent encounter with a subject that I was attempting to arrest. Due to constant training and damn near unconcious reaction, I was able to stop this guy from utilizing the knife he was grabbing for. Afterwards, I was surprised at how automatic my response was.

If you're looking to get in shape and develop real-world self defense skills, then Krav Maga will serve you well. This does not mean that other styles couldn't do the same. Try it out and see if it's right for you.

Good luck to you. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

4. A_Fletcher

A_Fletcher
    Expand Collapse
    Yardwork Ninja

And all of this from an art that doesn't even go against a resisting opponent......

5. Islander-11

Islander-11
    Expand Collapse
    Meat detective

Our dispatchers don't get into many violent conflicts...

6. A_Fletcher

A_Fletcher
    Expand Collapse
    Yardwork Ninja

Neither do our's. Try to wrap your mind around the prospect that there some people who are interested in their right to self defense and just enjoy martial arts in general (at least the ones that work instead of looking cool on TV).

7. Islander-11

Islander-11
    Expand Collapse
    Meat detective

So your suggestion is.... ????

(no offense intended, A_Fletcher, but I'm kind of interested as to where your opinion of Krav Maga comes from)

8. A_Fletcher

A_Fletcher
    Expand Collapse
    Yardwork Ninja

My suggestion would be some BJJ or at the very least some type of grecco-roman/ free style wrestling paired off with one of the various forms of kickboxing.

When I was in highschool a buddy of mine and I were bored and watching a show on the discovery channel about the various martial arts used by the world's armed forces. One of the segments was on Krav Maga and since it looked pretty cool, we went to a few of the classes and checked it out. After a little while at it, we invited a couple of our other friends over to have kind of a little NHB type thing. We got stuffed. I mean it was just awful. None of that stuff worked in the way it was supposed to.....

Moving forward a few months, that same friend and I asked those guys what it was that they did. They said "Muy Thai and Brasilian Jiu Jitsu". So we started in MT and BJJ and found that there were some major differences.

1. MT and BJJ was drilled at full speed.
    2. MT and BJJ was drilled against live resisting opponents (with the kickboxing it was against opponents holding pads and sparring)

9. Islander-11

Islander-11
    Expand Collapse
    Meat detective

I tried it live, full speed with a resisting opponent. For all the money. And I'm here to tell the tale!

Hey, whatever - I like it, I benefit from it and it helps me to stay in shape and alive.

Thanks for taking the time to state why you think what you think. Every martial art brings something to the table.

10. m1shooter

m1shooter
    Expand Collapse

PM imbound Islander

11. brock sampson

brock sampson
    Expand Collapse

A_Fletch,
    It sounds like your friends were playing a different game with different rules when that happened, and maybe more experience.
    I'm not trying to slam any styles or point any fingers. I just wanted to state that the program you've described is well suited for a ring or octagon or whatever polygon you may find yourself in. The same program can provide you very useful skills on the street as well but keep in mind that training with the proper instruction and the right focus is the key. I agree that resistance training is a close second to these. Which style you choose is way down the list and Krav Maga is a valid system if the above key elements are applied. Just keep in mind that if you ever find yourself in a real self defense situation (hopefully this never happens!) your goals are to avoid, survive, escape. Don't spend too much time rolling on the pavement and forget these priorities.

12. A_Fletcher

A_Fletcher
    Expand Collapse
    Yardwork Ninja

Nope, no rolling on the pavement for me. The main reason for BJJ (at least for me) is partly a hobby, but also as an absolute last ditch do that or die means of escaping the imminent threat of death or incapacitation.

13. windplex

windplex
    Expand Collapse

I am no martial arts expert. My son studies one type now. I have read of the development of Krav Maga by an Israelli made sense to me. Take natural human reactions and compound them with martial arts moves so that one need not practice continually in order to keep one's skills up to speed enough to be effective.

The Israelli's are very practical about things military. And I respect that.

14. brock sampson

brock sampson
    Expand Collapse

A, sounds perfect. A lot of ground fighting guys seem to blur this line a little. I like to spend time on the grappling work but for defense I try to focus on putting the other guy down and hit my feet running.

Windplex,
    In my experience (not that I'm qualified to speak for everyone) a lot of the arts try to use the "built-in" reaction like you mentioned. It is so much easier to train the flinch mechanisim into something useful than it is to train it out. Under stress we all revert to what we know best and what is most natural. Why not combine the two?
    I have seen this in Japanese and Okinawan arts. They no doubt picked it up from the Chinese who most likely got it from Indian and other sources and so on. It is by no means a new idea. The fact that it is so widely used must mean there is some merit to it. This does not replace the need for constant training to keep your edge.
    The more effective the weapon is, the shorter the fight lasts.

15. windplex

windplex
    Expand Collapse

Good to know that all (most) martial arts already take normal human reactions into account. Did not know that.

My understanding, from reading, was that the Mosad was not satisfied with any one martial art and they were dissatisfied that to stay effective with any of them one must constantly practice. So one of their trainers took some elements from each discipline that he believed best combined with natural human reactions to create an effective defensive response so that they were able to greatly reduce the need for constant practice while maintaining effectiveness in the field.

Again I read this. I am by no means practicing nor an expert. My real experience is limited so having said my peace will end it here.

16. brock sampson

brock sampson
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. I have heard the same about the development of Krav. They(Israeli military) needed something that was fairly effective but also quick and easily trained and this is what they created. This is similar to what many military and law enforcement organizations have done but Krav went above and beyond that and has grown into a very popular system.

As I said, a lot of arts have this flinch reaction training built into them but, it doesn't mean that all schools teach this way. Sadly, many schools never even get to this point in training.

17. A_Fletcher

A_Fletcher
    Expand Collapse
    Yardwork Ninja

You guys should be proud of me, I did some research! Here's the Wikipedia version of the history of Krav Maga:

"Imi Lichtenfeld
    The beginning of the system that would become Krav Maga in Israel was developed in Hungary and Czechoslovakia in the 1930s by Imi Lichtenfeld, also known as Imi Sde-Or. (Sde-Or - "Light Field" - is a calque of his surname into Hebrew.) He first taught his fighting system in Bratislava in order to help protect the Jewish community from Nazi militias. Upon arriving in the British Mandate of Palestine prior to the establishment of the Jewish state, Imi began teaching hand-to-hand combat to the Haganah, the Jewish underground army. With the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, Imi became the Chief Instructor of Physical Fitness and Krav Maga at the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) School of Combat Fitness. He served in the IDF for about 20 years, during which time he continued to develop and refine his hand-to-hand combat method. He died in January 1998 in Netanya, Israel."

I don't really have a point behind it other than just some basic history on the art.

18. Halojumper

Halojumper
    Expand Collapse

That might be a bit optimistic. "Some" is probably more accurate.

19. ltgibson2001

ltgibson2001
    Expand Collapse

I have kickboxed for years and have a black belt in one system and trained in various other systems. Got bored and at the time nobody close to me offered any kind of ground training so I read up on Krav Maga and was lucky enough to have the only place teaching in all of North or South Carolina about 30 miles away from me. I have been training in Krav Maga for a while now and have to say it's my favorite martial art that I have taken and like Islander-11, I'm a Law Enforcement Instructor in it. It is very good for real world situations and has been battle tested constantly for decades in the Middle East. It's great for your cardio vascular endurance. One thing I like about Krav compared to other Arts (and this is only my opinion)is that I'm not in to the traditional part of martial arts, the uniforms, kata, bowing. Not saying thats bad and I have a BB in one but it's just not me. I know A_Fletcher may have sounded like a Krav hater in his first couple of posts but I would have to second what he said about the BJJ. Krav does have some good ground stuff but I wanted a little more than what Krav offers. I was able to take BJJ at the same school I take Krav at and I think that the two compliment each other well. Krav does have some gun and knife defenses on the ground that you won't see in BJJ but If you end up on the ground against your will I would want to know enough BJJ to be able to get back to a standing position and apply Krav Maga.

20. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside
    Expand Collapse
    owl protector

in reference to wrestling, bjj, and really any of the sport fighting techniques..

a wrestler pins bruce lee on the ground, bruce lee taps and triumphantly the wrestler stands up and says, "now what could you do there?" in a challenging manner.

Bruce Lee replied, "simple, i would have bit your ear off."

krav maga is good, i prefer HAGINAH.

the main thing is remember to fight nasty and cheat, cause if your fighting me, you can count on me doing it.