close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Konfused about the Kimber

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by CDR_Glock, Aug 4, 2010.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

There are a lot of models of Kimber 1911s. Aside from the fact that there are higher tier Kimbers for competition or limited edition versions, what are the true differences aside from aesthetics? They all have match grade barrels, skeletonized premium triggers, most have ambidextrous safeties and some have the extended beaver tail.

I liked what the Raptor's styling had to offer so I chose the Pro.

However, aside from different permutations of stainless, blue, aluminum, steel etc, do they shoot differently (assuming the barrel is the same length)?

2. MD357

MD357

In terms of parts and fitting there is little if any difference between a base Kimber and a "Gold Match." A majority of the options over a Custom II is fluff.

3. CA_DUDE

CA_DUDE Dude here.

Yeah unless your looking for something specific like a shorter barrel, sights, or other ergonomic or asthetics, I think they're the same quality wise. I bought a Custom II and am perfectly happy with it. It's a solid performer with a good amount of standard "features".

4. asiparks

asiparks

As above...
    Same components pulled from the same bucket o' parts. Different finishes and whistles added, but your base Custom II has the same odds of accuracy, reliability etc as a Grand Raptor.
    The "super match" did at one time come with an accuracy guarantee, suggesting it might be more fitted than assembled. Not sure if that's still the case, I can't find a reference to it on the website...
    Early "Custom Shop" limited runs did have the frame. barrel, slide and bushing "matched" together as they travelled through production.
    My '99 Pro Elite has the serial number electropencilled on the bottom of the barrel, bushing, and inside the slide. I don't know if this implies special fitting or just that given the first group of slides/barrels/slides off the line, this was the least loose combination....
    Someone with a more recent Custom Shop gun would have to tell you if they still do that.

5. ctfireman

ctfireman

That's my problem & why i don't have a kimber yet. Still trying to figure out the full line.

6. rsxr22

rsxr22

Theres really not that much to figure out! Some of their guns are a little better than others, but like most said, there normally external features. I thought i was getting something better by buying the SIS which was basically a series1 and nothing about it really impressed me, minus the trigger on it. The SIS imo had a better trigger than ANY other stock production 1911 ive felt.

7. CA_DUDE

CA_DUDE Dude here.

I think this is the case with most 1911's
    until you get up into custom shop territory

8. CMG

CMG

The only real value-added additions between a Custom and higher-end Kimber is front-strap checkering ($150 value) and night sights ($75 value). Some rate the Kim-Pro finish as value-added as well, but for me it doesn't add that much. ($50?)

So it should cost no more than $275 over the cost of a Custom, even if it has all three of the above.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  9. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Is it hand made? Why so much money for checkering, etc?

10. Ruggles

Ruggles

I agree that the majority of the Kimbers are very similar but the Super Match and the Gold Combat are truly a step above the rest of the Kimber heard in fit and finish.

11. asiparks

asiparks

That may be true of the new bull barreled Gold Combat, but it wasn't of my 2002 model.

The new GC runs about $1800 around these parts, more than a DW Valor, about the same as many new Baers and many gently used EB's and Nighthawks ( and a mere $89 cheaper than my own used Springfield Pro which came with a bunch of mags 'n' stuff )... So, no matter how much of a step above regular Kimbers it may be, it would be very near the bottom of my shopping list...

Once you go over about $1200 for a Kimber., it's time to start looking at other options.

12. Ruggles

Ruggles

Of the ones you mentioned I would take the Kimber Gold Combat (or Supermatch) over the DW Valor and a couple of the Baers. The rest would be over the Kimber on my list. I would take the Springfield Pro over it for sure.

13. CMG

CMG

I believe $150 is an average price for machine-cut front strap checkering. If you know of a reputable shop that does it cheaper, please share.

$75 is an average price for tritium sights, some go a bit cheaper, some a bit higher.

Finishes are all over the place for price, but to me, from the OEM, I don't place a high value on one finish over the other, unless there is lots of hand-polishing involved, such as Colt's Royal Blue vs their matte blue.

YMMV, of course.

14. asiparks

asiparks

I'm genuinely curious, why ?
    I have a DW CBOB and it is better fit than any of the 7 or so Kimbers I've owned (GC included), and uses better, MIM free, components. This is true of the couple of Valors I've seen too.
    I don't subscribe to Baer's "tighter is better" philosophy, but the quality seems to be there...

15. Ruggles

Ruggles

I agree with you on the Baers, they are great quality but feature wise I would rather have the Kimber GC or SM over say the Concept 2. Now a Baer Super Tac or SRP would be my choice over the Kimber easily.

As for the DW Valor vs the Kimbers mentioned I can not "justify" it anymore than I can justify say a Chevy Silverado over a Ford F150. I just prefer the Kimber and the way it "feels" in my hand. The DW may well be a superior 1911 in reality but I prefer the Kimber. I happen to think both the Kimber and the DW are fine 1911s and one would not go wrong picking either.

My next 1911 will be a Wilson again (a Professional this time I think) but if it was not it might well be a one of the Kimbers mentioned to save some money.

That is the beauty of the current 1911 market, there are a slew of great guns to choose from, too damn many really. :supergrin:

16. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

If you want a Kimber I suggest a TLE. You get checkered strap and night sights and everything else comparabe to most of the Kimber line and they can be had for under $900.

17. Ruggles

Ruggles

Yeah the TLE might be the best "Bang For The Buck" in the Kimber lineup.

18. bac1023

bac1023

Other than the top models, such as the Super Match and the Gold Combat, its all about features and finish.

I have a Super Match II and it is a nicer fit 1911 than my Custom II and more accurate to boot. That said, they're still production guns.

19. CMG

CMG

I'd agree, they run closer to $950 around here, but to me that is reasonable given the features it has (checkering and tritium sights).

20. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Some Kimbers come with 19 MIM parts, others come with 21 MIM parts, making them the industry leader in pot metal components.