close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knoxville Restaurant and Hotel Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lone_Wolfe, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

I'm planning a trip that includes a layover in Knoxville. I need some recommendations for where to stay, and where to eat. I'm only going to be there one night, and won't be driving, so I need something pretty close to the airport. The restaurant being near the hotel would be a plus.

Thanks! :wavey:

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

When? What kind of food do you want?

I dunno anything about hotels but I do know where the airport is. :whistling:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

3. Lone_Wolfe

What's good in the area? Is BBQ the big thing there? Some other local specialty I need to know about? I'm looking for something besides the usual chains I can find anywhere.

You sure they haven't moved the airport in the last few months? :supergrin: :wavey:

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I have a huge fear of planes crashing. When I was a little kid, the doctors made a game out of knocking me out for kidney stuff. I clearly remember getting on a elevator with them and we went to the top floor then up and down a few times. The last time we came down, we were "on" a plane that was crashing and they gave me happy gas to breathe as we went down...

My husband and I were coming up the road back from lunch out where the airport is one day when this KC130 just appeared out of nowhere! I am screaming bloody murder because I thought it was not only crashing, but going down right in front of us, if not on top of us. It was close enough you could feel the car move from the wind off it. He's laughing his ass off at me enough that he can't tell me that there is an air strip where we were that the Air National Guard uses.

God. That scared the **** ouf me me. :rofl:

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

There is good BBQ here but nothing that I would seek out as far as being a really good local thing...except for the ribs at Calhouns on all-you-can-eat night (I think it was a Tuesday).

There are some great Mexican places and an amazing Japanese place that isn't close to the airport.

6. AlB

AlB

The airport is actually in Alcoa TN. Unfortunately, there's nothing close to the airport other than the usual chain restaurants.

7. Blondie

Blondie

There is a Hilton almost connected to the airport. Across the Alcoa Highway there are 2 Marriott branded hotels, one is a Courtyard? I think.

Since you wont be driving, your best bet would be the restaurant in the Hilton (Coopers), I haven't ate there lately but is was decent. There is a bar there too.

8. Lone_Wolfe

Well, if my plane's going to crash I'd love some happy gas, too. :supergrin:

And from the sounds of it they DID move the airport on you! :rofl: :rofl:

Damn, why does the Japanese place have to be far away. I love Japanese food, especially sushi. Ribs at Calhouns, that might be doable. There's a decent chance my layover will be on a Tuesday, but that's not locked in yet. The other likely day is Friday, I could probably still get a rib or 2 there. :eat:

There's got to be SOMETHING worth eating. Bear in mind that some chains are only in one area, so something chain there might still be new to me. That'd be OK if there's a good chain restaurant.

9. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

As stated above the Airport is not actually in Knoxville. It's actually 30 minutes southwest. If you don't have a car the only place within walking distance of the airport is the Hilton.

If you want a good meal at a locally owned place I would call a cab to take you to Aubrey's in Maryville(about 15 minutes from the airport).

There really isn't much out there that won't require a vehicle to get to. It's unfortunate you don't have more time to kill in Knoxville. East TN is beautiful and I fear your opinion will be skewed based on what you see around the airport.

10. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

unfoturnately knoxville is a big place and the airport is at the far end of one side. Calhouns on the river is great and it is 10-15 mins from the airport. Most of the nice hotels are downtown, the ones near the airport are just your regular hotels that you see everywhere. I don't really know which ones are good I'm local and have never needed to stay in a hotel. If you have transportation there is a great steakhouse called Ye ole steakhouse (it was also on man vs food) If you are up late the is a good dive burger joint on campus that is open until 4am and delivers it is called Gus's.

11. Lone_Wolfe

I saw on the map that Hilton is real convenient. I wonder if my plane could just taxi over and drop me at the front desk.

I may stay and eat there if I can't find anything better, but I don't mind taking a taxi to a better place. I just don't want to spend more for the cab ride than I pay for a good dinner. OTOH, the bar might be a good thing, since I don't have to get up real early the next morning. :supergrin:

12. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Not much out near the airport. Catch a ride up to Kingston Pike, though, and there's a Calhoun's right off the exit. They do pretty well on the steaks and ribs. Seems like there might be a Buddys BBQ right near there also, but not 100% sure(EDIT: It's not a Buddy's. It's a Back Yard Burgers, per the wifey). Turkey Creek is just over the hill from there and they have a Connor's, which is decent as well. For lighter fare, there's also a Brixx Pizza right there in Turkey Creek, which I know is a chain and may not be that unusual to a lot of folks, but there's nothing like it where I live (1.75 hrs up the road) and it's a different take on pizza, and the food is pretty dang good.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  13. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

can't believe I forgot about Aubrey's it is actually my favorite place but I didnt think about the fact that it is local.

oh and closer to the airport there is a hole in the wall mexican restaurant called el jimador that is pretty good in maryville in the stripmall in the same parkinglot as sonic

14. dac1204

dac1204

since you are going to be there for the night and many live in this area. everybody should get together for a meet and greet. I live in Chattanooga now work all over and could possibly do a get together.

15. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

And somebody can give LW a ride to a restaurant. :cool:

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I would be all over that idea in a heartbeat except I work Tuesday 4P-3A. I love my schedule since I only work three days and I have a four day weekend every week but it means I do nothing but sleep and work during the middle of the week...

17. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Brixx is pretty good...but if you're going to Turkey Creek, just hit Wasabi for sushi!

18. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh! Have you ever had a burger and shake from Cookout? We got two of those last summer! One's next to the tattoo shop that Donno (tat2guy) works at and the other is toward campus.

19. Lone_Wolfe

I was reading all these responses, realizing there's more GT'ers here than I knew about. I found myself wondering if any of you might have any interst in meeting me, and seeing my bald, homely mug for yourselves. :supergrin:

I like the way you think! :thumbsup: :supergrin:

Now these suggestions are sounding pretty darn good. It looks like I'll fly in early evening, and have other plans starting mid-morning the next day, so that leaves me enough time to go someplace away from the airport, and even tip a few drinks with some GT'ers.

As for the hotel, I'm not overly concerned about anything fancy, it's just for one night. A Hilton or similar would do fine.

20. Lone_Wolfe

No, I haven't had the pleasure. Wonder if I'd be able to get a tattoo done after I eat. I've seen some of his work, and he's good! :supergrin: