Knives of 2013 - What have you bought, and what's on the list?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by NeverMore1701, Jan 1, 2013.

1. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist
    CLM

Got a link?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. LeMat

LeMat Jellybaby?

http://www.siegleknives.com

Sent from my TT Capsule Type 40 MkI TARDIS

3. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Bought this Dozier last night. It should be here later this week.:rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have wanted one of Bob's knives for a long time. His website says there is currently a 3 year wait to get a knife, so I'm glad I found this one.

4. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Really like the looks of that one. ^ :cool:

5. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Me too! It is scheduled for delivery this afternoon.:supergrin:

6. There is an old joke that an elephant is a horse made by a committee. When it comes to knives, people feel free to add little embellishments to a basic knife to the point that the price would become extravagant and the piece unwieldy.

Some of the more traditional manufacturers like Ka bar have been exploring the lower price point of quality, basic folders.

Ontario has now done the same with its Rat 2. The Rat 1 hardly gets publicity. It is a fine, basic survival folder. However, it would not be an EDC for most people. It is not something that you could or would put in a pocket and forget. You could pay 3 or 4 times the price for a new Benchmade product and the Rat 1 would probably still handle almost all of the same chores.

So, someone had a bright idea - reduce the rat 1 to a 3 inch blade, thin the blade for balance, keep the same quality control. Now, you have a liner lock folder that you can slip into a pocket and forget. Is it a Buck 110 folder costing double the price and which is not a folder that you stick in your pocket and forget? Of course not.

Ok. Someone can issue a challenge. The blade will not hold up to skinning 15 deer, chopping down a tree, handling 6 knife fights on 6 successive weekends. If you want that, then go get a Fallkniven F1 or a Bark River. Get a full tang fixed blade knife and not a folder.

Here is a comparison between the excellent uncatalogued Ka Bar 2823 liner lock folder sold at Big 5 someimes at $14 - $20 and the Ontario Rat 2 which runs about $22-25. The Ka Bar is a substantial knife that you would consider putting in a sheath. The Rat 2 is a knife that you just slip into your pocket. The Rat 2 has a clip. Like the Rat 1, you can put it on 4 ways, so it can be worn by a lefty, righty, right side up or upside down.

7. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Latest newcomers, a 2013 stonewash-straight Horseman (love how they changed the wave to look more like, well, a wave - used to be an odd looking "nub") and a 2013 black-straight CQC-15, both with standoff's (my first EKI's to have those):
    [​IMG]

8. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Hmm, appears I never posted last months black-plain Horseman. See the difference in the wave?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#248 Officer's Match, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  9. perado

perado Sunburnt baldy

Picked up some oldie-but-goodies:

Benchmade Delta Raider
    [​IMG]

Pacific Cutlery 906 (Pre-Benchmade)
    [​IMG]

And another Barry Dawson folder (the middle one)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Anyone got a Kershaw Thermite yet? That will probably be my nest purchase.

11. Picked up an Esee 4, Cold Steel Taipan and a Fallkniven A1 in the past few weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a Busse TGLB on order and a Busse NMFSH on its way plus a Chris Reeve project 1 one piece knife coming too :)

12. Picked up my first Spydie, Manix 2 with G10 scales and the S30V blade. I have to say, I'm really impressed. I can see a few more making it into my collection soon!

[​IMG]

13. GLK8876919

GLK8876919 Confused...
    Lifetime Member

Sweet Spyddy. Got several myself. Any Microtech fans out there?

[​IMG]

#253 GLK8876919, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  14. Zero Tolerance 0888 just arrived today.

[​IMG]

15. The Spyderco stretch has replaced my Endura/Delica's for EDC. It is super nice.

16. perado

perado Sunburnt baldy

And another of Wayne Clark's Destiny manuals. Some of this series are labeled as Auto-Tech and some are just labeled WR Clark with his dogbone logo.

[​IMG]

17. DakotaGlockGuy

DakotaGlockGuy Polymer Artist

Just got done dying the brown scales black. Also cleaned, lubed, and sharpened on the Wicked Edge.

Hands down my favorite knife of all time!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

The Southard is a great knife, no question. Wish I still had mine.

19. DakotaGlockGuy

DakotaGlockGuy Polymer Artist

I hear you. I am absolutely blown away by this thing. Perfect size, shape, and awesome blade steel.

About the only thing I wasn't real crazy about was the brown scale color. While it was starting to grow on me a little, I wished it was black...

And now it is!

Actually the crappy indoor lighting pic doesn't do it justice. The Rit turned it a nice, glimmery shade of black that looks a little like carbon fiber. It still has the great grip though.

I think I finally found the end of the knife rainbow for me!

20. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

If it didn't have the huge, ugly, completely unnecessary Spyderhole I'd have already gotten another.