close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Knives of 2013 - What have you bought, and what's on the list?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by NeverMore1701, Jan 1, 2013.

1. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    Got a link?

2. LeMat

LeMat Jellybaby?

Aug 9, 2003
    Flathead Valley, MT

3. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Bought this Dozier last night. It should be here later this week.:rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have wanted one of Bob's knives for a long time. His website says there is currently a 3 year wait to get a knife, so I'm glad I found this one.

4. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Me too! It is scheduled for delivery this afternoon.:supergrin:

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    There is an old joke that an elephant is a horse made by a committee. When it comes to knives, people feel free to add little embellishments to a basic knife to the point that the price would become extravagant and the piece unwieldy.

Some of the more traditional manufacturers like Ka bar have been exploring the lower price point of quality, basic folders.

Ontario has now done the same with its Rat 2. The Rat 1 hardly gets publicity. It is a fine, basic survival folder. However, it would not be an EDC for most people. It is not something that you could or would put in a pocket and forget. You could pay 3 or 4 times the price for a new Benchmade product and the Rat 1 would probably still handle almost all of the same chores.

So, someone had a bright idea - reduce the rat 1 to a 3 inch blade, thin the blade for balance, keep the same quality control. Now, you have a liner lock folder that you can slip into a pocket and forget. Is it a Buck 110 folder costing double the price and which is not a folder that you stick in your pocket and forget? Of course not.

Ok. Someone can issue a challenge. The blade will not hold up to skinning 15 deer, chopping down a tree, handling 6 knife fights on 6 successive weekends. If you want that, then go get a Fallkniven F1 or a Bark River. Get a full tang fixed blade knife and not a folder.

Here is a comparison between the excellent uncatalogued Ka Bar 2823 liner lock folder sold at Big 5 someimes at $14 - $20 and the Ontario Rat 2 which runs about $22-25. The Ka Bar is a substantial knife that you would consider putting in a sheath. The Rat 2 is a knife that you just slip into your pocket. The Rat 2 has a clip. Like the Rat 1, you can put it on 4 ways, so it can be worn by a lefty, righty, right side up or upside down.

6. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Latest newcomers, a 2013 stonewash-straight Horseman (love how they changed the wave to look more like, well, a wave - used to be an odd looking "nub") and a 2013 black-straight CQC-15, both with standoff's (my first EKI's to have those):
    [​IMG]

7. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Hmm, appears I never posted last months black-plain Horseman. See the difference in the wave?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  8. perado

perado Sunburnt baldy

May 28, 2008
    Tucson, in the Arid Zone
    Picked up some oldie-but-goodies:

Benchmade Delta Raider
    [​IMG]

Pacific Cutlery 906 (Pre-Benchmade)
    [​IMG]

And another Barry Dawson folder (the middle one)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Sharkey

Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Anyone got a Kershaw Thermite yet? That will probably be my nest purchase.

10. Morgo

Morgo

Oct 12, 2002
    Australia
    Picked up an Esee 4, Cold Steel Taipan and a Fallkniven A1 in the past few weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a Busse TGLB on order and a Busse NMFSH on its way plus a Chris Reeve project 1 one piece knife coming too :)

11. gomerpyle

gomerpyle

Apr 13, 2009
    Motor City
    Picked up my first Spydie, Manix 2 with G10 scales and the S30V blade. I have to say, I'm really impressed. I can see a few more making it into my collection soon!

[​IMG]

12. GLK8876919

GLK8876919 Confused... Lifetime Member

Dec 19, 2012
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Sweet Spyddy. Got several myself. Any Microtech fans out there?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  13. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    The Spyderco stretch has replaced my Endura/Delica's for EDC. It is super nice.

14. perado

perado Sunburnt baldy

May 28, 2008
    Tucson, in the Arid Zone
    And another of Wayne Clark's Destiny manuals. Some of this series are labeled as Auto-Tech and some are just labeled WR Clark with his dogbone logo.

[​IMG]

15. DakotaGlockGuy

DakotaGlockGuy Polymer Artist

Apr 17, 2012
    Bismarck, ND
    Just got done dying the brown scales black. Also cleaned, lubed, and sharpened on the Wicked Edge.

Hands down my favorite knife of all time!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    The Southard is a great knife, no question. Wish I still had mine.

17. DakotaGlockGuy

DakotaGlockGuy Polymer Artist

Apr 17, 2012
    Bismarck, ND
    I hear you. I am absolutely blown away by this thing. Perfect size, shape, and awesome blade steel.

About the only thing I wasn't real crazy about was the brown scale color. While it was starting to grow on me a little, I wished it was black...

And now it is!

Actually the crappy indoor lighting pic doesn't do it justice. The Rit turned it a nice, glimmery shade of black that looks a little like carbon fiber. It still has the great grip though.

I think I finally found the end of the knife rainbow for me!

18. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    If it didn't have the huge, ugly, completely unnecessary Spyderhole I'd have already gotten another.