Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

knife, tool, ax sheaths

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by bdcochran, Jul 24, 2011.

1. bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Many new and used knives, leatherman type tools, hatchets and axes are sold without sheaths.

Years ago, I addressed the hatchet and axes challenge by having a shoe repairman make them for me.

Over the years, I accumulated a pile of leatherman type tools and knives. For some units I wanted to have the brand name on the sheath. With others, I didn't care. Consequently, I investigated.

The cheapest place to obtain the tool and knife sheathes is on ebay. So cheap, that I keep a few extra sheaths on hand.

Last weekend, a mentor came into town and taught a class. I took a number of folder knives to the class and reviewed them with him. He does design knives as well. After discussing the merits, I conceded that cordura sheaths were more desirable than leather (a big concession on my behalf). Today I bought some cordura knife sheath.

When you buy sheaths, one size does not fit all. Make sure that you do your research.
  2. B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Why is cordura better? It is hard to find a well made and designed sheath.

3. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Cordura & kydex both are objectively better than leather imo, but I confess I just prefer leather for everyday use for most things. I have a few exceptions, such as a couple kydex holsters for small glocks, neck peck sheath, etc, but overall I mostly stick with leather. That said, I do realize that that's just the old fart in me coming out; letting my personal preferences take priority over objective superiority.

Leather takes more maintenance, it often has a shorter lifespan, it's more vulnerable to heat/cold/elements, it's heavier, and it holds moisture. And due to those traits that leather has, things carried in leather tend to need more maintenance as well. Recognizing & accepting that increased maintenance is just the price to be paid for my choice; not the most practical choice objectively I realize, but a price I'm willing to pay for the benefit of using my preferred option.

At least I recognize that my preference is just that - personal preference; and not something I'd intentionally try to sway others toward.