close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knife carry.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Folsom_Prison, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

This isn't a gun carry thread, it's a knife carry thread and this is the best forum I could think of for this question. At work I can't legally carry, so the best next thing is my pocket knife.

I don't have any spray currently so at work my main mode of defense is my knife. With my job I deal with pissed off homeowners regulary. It hasn't happened to me but guys I work with have had a gun pulled on them from a pissed off homeowner.

If all I had was a knife and had a gun pulled on me I'd try to leave, but I've had a few folks try to get physical with me without a gun. Thankfully Ive never had to act but it's crossed my mind..... What if I had to pull my knife.

Sooooo my rant amd question is, if you had to defend yourself with a knife what would you do?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney
    Expand Collapse

I know lots of guys that carry knives in their boots when working on the street as a backup weapon. Knives are better than nothing. In some states a folding knife is best because there is no size limit on a folding knife in those states. Just check your state laws and be safe. :cool:

3. Beeman

Beeman
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

I've got some concerns when it comes to stabbing/cutting someone. First it's the idea of getting someones blood all over me. I'd rather spray someone and try to escape VS stabbing/cutting and getting their blood on me. In all likelyhood you are going to have to stab them repeatedly, which means your hands are going to have their blood on them and be slippery. You're probably going to get cut too--not good to get cut, and have some nuts blood mixed with yours.

I can't carry a firearm at work. We also have loons that show up every once in a while who are high and want to fight or take items. One of these guys has said he has HIV and Hepatitis. I really don't want his fluids on me and would just as soon get away without touching that dude if at all possible. I'd be most likely to crack the dude over the head with something than start stabbing him, but I'd rather not touch most of the wackos that come in every once in a while.

4. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

I always carry a pocket knife. In kansas tue legal lenth is 3 and a half inches if Im correct.

5. rdpG19

rdpG19
    Expand Collapse

I always carry my knife along with my Glock 19, if a BG approached me with a knife, I would pull out my Glock, the knife is just in case I cant get to my gun.

6. TurboRocket

TurboRocket
    Expand Collapse

Martial Blade Concepts is your answer.

MBC encompasses empty hand, improvised weapons and knife stuff.

I'd rather have a Delica clipped to my pants pocket than a 8" boot knife. In my AO, I'd be hard-pressed to legally carry a large concealed fixed blade anyway.

#6 TurboRocket, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  7. cloudbuster

cloudbuster
    Expand Collapse

A knife is a deadly weapon exactly equal to a gun in terms of legal ramifications of using one in a fight. If you're justified in stabbing someone, you're justified in shooting them. If you are so justified, why would you want to have a knife as the tool at your disposal?

It requires you to get in very close, and if someone has already pulled a gun on you, this is near suicidal. If they've pulled a club, baseball bat, wrench or tire iron on you, they've got a much better weapon than you do and you're in still deep trouble. If they've pulled a knife on you, then you're entering into a dangerous and deadly fight you have maybe an even chance of winning and a lesser chance of escaping without serious injury. If they've done none of those things, then you're initiating deadly force and could end up in jail for a long time (yes, a sufficiently strong, violent unarmed man can be a deadly threat, but I don't want to go to court arguing that).

The situations where a knife gives you a clean and LEGAL advantage in a fight are pretty few.

Also, if you very frequently deal with pissed-off homeowners, you're probably in a pretty poor evidentiary position. I assume you're on their property, by yourself. Everything that happens is going to be their word (and witnesses such as family that are sympathetic to them) against yours. Not a position I'd want to be in.

Sounds like what you really need is some pepper spray. Good against dogs and aggressive homeowners who want to take a swing at you, and won't get you real friendly with someone in the prison shower. Probably misdemeanor at worst if it's decided you used poor judgment.

#7 cloudbuster, Oct 30, 2011
  8. cloudbuster

cloudbuster
    Expand Collapse

LOL, that first picture on the Martial Blade Concepts website is effing hilarious. Guy with a folder going against someone with a big pipe wrench. They're making it look like "See how the skilled knife fighter countered this attacker" but, seriously, that guy with the wrench is wound up to cave in the knife wielder's skull with a back hand. Priceless. And that wrench guy, where's his left arm? The fantasy scenarios that knife training places work up are an endless source of amusement. They work great if the only people you ever fight are awkward, slow-witted, slow-moving buffoons.

#8 cloudbuster, Oct 30, 2011
  9. Edmo01

Edmo01
    Expand Collapse

One of the fastest ways to get cut is to get in a knife fight! Everyone gets cut, just some worse than others. If I'm the "homeowner guy" at my house and someone pulls a knife on me, I'm going to end it with a gun.

Beeman, I would guess at least one of your nightmares includes you being covered in someone else's blood! Sorry, couldn't resist...

Edmo

#9 Edmo01, Oct 30, 2011
  10. Lior

Lior
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS=FREEDOM

Good luck to any guys wishing to carry knives for self protection - praying that you'll never have to use one for that purpose.

From time to time I carry a multitool, usually off-person, but am far too squeamish about the idea of defending myself with a knife. I'd rather use a pair of Nikes if guns were a non-option, but that's just me.

11. cloudbuster

cloudbuster
    Expand Collapse

*Tactical* Nikes, right?

12. steveksux

steveksux
    Expand Collapse
    Massive Member

The 2nd amendment doesn't allow citizens to carry "Strategic" Nikes. There was no such thing as Niklear weapons in the Founding Fathers day and age.

Randy

#12 steveksux, Oct 30, 2011
  13. dcc12

dcc12
    Expand Collapse

I carry a Cold Steel 6" Voyager weak side. More for going to places that I can't carry CHL or to get someone off of my CHL if need. also have a Kimber Lifeact OC spray same reason

14. TurboRocket

TurboRocket
    Expand Collapse

Is pipe wrench guy attacking wrong? :tongueout:

You are making a value judgment based on one still photo. There are at least three very specific nuances in the technique shown in that photo that would be very apparent to an MBC student but not to others.

Why is training against a bad guy wielding an impact weapon a fantasy scenario? In this case, it's a pipe wrench; it could just as easily be a hammer, a car ice scraper, a beer bottle, a golf club, a tire iron, a softball bat, etc.

I don't need defend MBC. Michael Janich and MBC stand on their own merits. All I know is I get 5-8 hours of training a week, week in, week out.

15. cloudbuster

cloudbuster
    Expand Collapse

If you're somewhere where you can't CHL, it's entirely likely you're someplace where carrying a deadly weapon is illegal.

Knife laws are a confusing jumble of state and local regulations. There are more than just a few places where a 6" blade is a deadly weapon.

16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

17. cloudbuster

cloudbuster
    Expand Collapse

The fantasy is that all those nuanced techniques are ever going to do a damn for you in a real life situation.

I refer to

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifefighting.html

"I say this because about 99% of what is out there about 'knife fighting' will either get you killed or put you into the prison showers."

I've been in a few fights, and I've done plenty of the sorts of sparring that occurs in unarmed and weapon-based martial arts training.

The kind of thug who attacks you with deadly intent is going to be neither slow, nor weak nor clumsy, nor going to give you a fair chance.

The "angry homeowner" the OP describes probably doesn't really want to get in a deadly fight in the first place, and the OP would be better off studying conflict de-escalation than knife-fighting.

#17 cloudbuster, Oct 30, 2011
  18. cloudbuster

cloudbuster
    Expand Collapse

Yes, this is what I recommend. Always keep an attractive photo of your knife and gun in your wallet. Then when the homeowner gets angry, you can distract him by whipping it out to show him, and you can both bond by having a cool manly conversation about self-defense tools. :tongueout:

19. dcc12

dcc12
    Expand Collapse

True but Texas is not one of them

20. old wanderer

old wanderer
    Expand Collapse

Carrying a knife is like carrying a gun. (I carry both). If you do not train, you either have to be lucky, or you might as well go find a big rock.

If I am under 5' from my adversary, I will always opt for my knife over my 45. I will do 100% of my fighting inside the adversary OODA loop. Beside he makes a good shield in case there are other to deal with.

I am an "old wobbler" these days, but I still try and do 2 days a year of FOF training, and more days with other weapons.

It is not that I think I am going to be playing a stand-in for Rambo, but it is just really satisfying to work hard with a high level of proficiency.

(However,,,,you just never know about those Zombies :faint: )