close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knee Surgery Monday!!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M&P15T, May 4, 2013.

1. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    6.15.2013 5 WEEKS IN: I went to the gym yesterday morning, played about 40 minutes of intense tennis yesterday evening, and went for a 40 minute bike ride this morning.

Minimal pain pain playing tennis, more fear than anything. No sharp stabbing pain like I had, muscle is rebuilding, I'm no longer heavily favoring my right leg so that knee is feeling good.....

I highly reccomend a good arthroscopic cleaning of the knee(s) to folks with pain. The right surgeon can do wonders. But proper rehab is the key. Pushing yourself at the right level, while listening to your body, makes tons of difference.

UPDATE: Got home Monday evening, relaxed, went to bed, Pain was not too bad.

Tuesday, pain not too bad, talked to the doctor on the phone, he said he did quite a bit of cleaning up. Meniscus repair, floatie removal, arthritic area shaving. Kinda all over the place, not just one part of the joint.

Wednesday (yesterday) unbelievable, screaming pain all day. I finally took some Darvocet and Hydrocordone.

Today (Thursday) the pain isn't bad.

Original Post:
    I'm actually excited, ready to get it over with and have the knee feeling good again. My cutter has done 4000+ surgeries, so hopefully he's got this down.

I'm guessing he's quite gay, as he was non-chalantly rubbing my knee and thigh during my exam.

Pretty standard arthroscopy, meniscus repair, remove some floaties, shave some arthritic areas. Only taking one day off from work, provided Doctor Ghey finds nothing else to repair.

Think I'll wear a locking cod piece to the hospital though.:rofl::rofl:

I will be bored, and I will post alot. I apologise in advance.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    That's great, as long as your surgeon isn't 340 years old. Lol

Good luck.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Yeah....

Picture a ghey Yoda, that's my cutter.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No, he's not that old. Fifties maybe.

4. Good luck. I took three weeks or so off from work after my knee repair. tom.:cool:

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Then he does enuf per year for you to chill.

My aunt had hip replacement. The guy did 10-12 per year. She got a bad infection and needed a redo a year later with a competent surgeon. But he SEEMED nice. Lol

6. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    Should be a breeze for you. My wife's a jock and had a meniscus repair a couple of years back. She had hardly any down time, little pain, and the results were excellent.

Good luck.

7. tedk

tedk

Jan 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I was walking without the crutches 2 days after I had mine repaired I had no problems. The doctor still had me off work for 3 weeks to help it heal.

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Thanks for the replies....

I'm already bored, ready for this to be done. This will actually be my 2nd surgery on this knee.

9. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    Just hope he isn't bored when he does your procedure. With 4,000 Xs on his Gucci doctor bag, doing number 4,001 probably doesn't raise his interest level very much.

Hope your doc has a good nights sleep and his kid isn't flunking out of college. Hope the same for your anesthesiologist; yea, general anesthesia can be tricky. Oh, and mark the knee to be worked on with a Sharpie; sometimes it gets a little confusing when the surgeon is scheduled to do eight knee procedures on your day in the barrel.

Hope the Doc you hired is the one who does the cuttin', scrapin' and vacuuming out the debris. Just before I went under the anesthetic for my knee scope job, my surgeon introduced me to a new surgeon who was going to 'observe' the procedure. A week later, I was told they mysteriously "lost" the video of my surgery because the camera failed, or something. I've always wondered who actually did the procedure.

Surgeries like yours are almost as uncomplicated as having teeth pulled. Nonetheless, they do involve some risk, and being keenly aware of whats going before they put you under is pretty important.

Still bored?

10. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Good luck my friend:supergrin::wavey:

11. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Aug 16, 2009
    Illinois
    My son had his acl replaced several years ago. We took a blank video, and the Doc copied a movie of the surgery. He told us going in that the surgery was only 50% of the recovery. Rehab was very important, and as we found out, very painful in the early days with full extension. Outcome was great, surgery in fall, played baseball in spring. Surgeon is an Ortho guy for Univ. of Mo. football tigers. Dr. Pat Smith

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  12. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    My friend just had his ligament repaired last month. He had a cadaver ligament put in and he was pain free and walking in about 3 or 4 days. He came back to work in 2 weeks. (on light duty for now)

It will be a whole new world for you Im sure. Pain free with a stable new knee!

13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Yeah, like I posted, this is my 2nd go-around with arthroscopy (well, third), not concerned at all. Worrying does nothing, I can't control anything once I'm knocked out.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    So, 15 years ago, when I was 28, I had the same knee arthroscoped. Due to never properly rehabilitating my left leg after my first injury and (nothing actually done, just looked around) arthroscopic surgery when I was 21, I had ground the cartilage where the back of my knee cap rode on the trochlya of the femur playing tennis.

So my orthopaedic surgeon went in and shaved both areas down to the bone. He said I was young enough for the cartilage to re-grow.

Well, just before that surgery, my doc and I had a conversation about what I should do post-op. I asked him specifically when I could go for a bike-ride. Since he didn't tell me I couldn't go for a bike ride one day after bleeding bone surgery, I said **** it, and I did.

This was a baaaaaaaad idea. Really, really stupid.

Anyways, it took a year to heal from that. But, eventually, my knee did recover.

I will not be going for a bike ride Tuesday. I have ice packs, Ibuprofen, heating pads, and salve.

15. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    good luck! thee days past shoulder surgery myself. subscribe to net flicks streaming or amazon prime for streaming movies. i believe both have free trials.

16. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Ya know...that's the bummer. I've had Netflix for a few years now. Not really much new on it. Still, re-runs of Top Gear can keep me entertained for days.

What type of shoulder surgery? Have you started rehabing yet? Good luck to you sir......rehab, then rehab some more. After that, try rehabing.

17. C6vetter

C6vetter

Jul 14, 2012
    Make sure he works on the correct 'leg' :whistling:

18. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    I'll bring my own sharpie and hit it with an "X". That's standard procedure these days.

He damn well better not have any tools left in there.

19. fx77

fx77 CLM

Nov 23, 2008
    Best of luck
    However...eventhough he has done 4000 cases..howmany were clearly indicated..one can stretch the indications..if you are a hammer...everything is a nail

Also check the net to see that scopes for degenerative disease of the knee,.which is what you describe, do not have results that exceed conservative management...FWIW
    I just had a scope for a tear of the meniscus Feb 4...told the Doc to leave anyarthritic stuff alone..took no pai9n meds, and did my own rehab...PT is a waste of $$$ (one of the greatest medical scams in existence :))..if you are motivated you do not need PT..U just need to religiously do the exercises

20. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    NC
    Good Luck....`er done!