close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knee replacement

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by General Lee, May 10, 2012.

1. Im having total knee replacement at the end of this month. Anyone had this procedure and have any do's and don'ts I should consider.

2. Fishawk

Fishawk Fishawk

Jan 5, 2012
    SW Washinton
    I had one done Feb 6th. Take your drugs, ice your knee everyday.Get a nice recliner preferably a large one because you will be sleeping in it for a month. Do your excersies you will up and moving rather quickly , every week you will notice a change good luck .

Last edited: May 10, 2012

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    No advice but I wish you the best! Sure doesn't sound fun.

4. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Aug 29, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio USA
    Do insist on having the medical device that periodically flexes the knee joint post surgery.

A friend had both knees done, one with the other without the device.

It is more painful, but will shorten the recovery time.

Insist on enough pain medication possibly, a morphine pump.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. DamageAce

DamageAce member

Jul 29, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't be a tough guy and not take your pain meds. You will not get addicted! They will want to start moving you through range of motion on your knee, and then graduate onto weight bearing exercises.

The big thing to remember is that is if you don't do the prescribes exercises, the surgery will be a waste of time and you will not get the full benefit of your new knee.

Yes it will hurt but only for the short term.

It's a pretty routine surgery these days, but if you have questions about anything, ask!

Good Luck!

6. Watch you will wonder why you did not have it sooner. They are great

Sent from my 300 baud modem

7. chaplain 31

chaplain 31

Nov 3, 2011

Good advice... I'm a year into a replacement. I can't emphasize how important it is to stay ahead of the pain. Don't wait until it hurts so bad you have to take meds. Take them early enough that you aren't playing catch up with the pain. Also don't let the nurses tell you how much pain you have... or when you need meds. They can only guess at best. This is important because if you're hurting you are not going to want to do what it takes to get back up and regain your mobility. And don't rush going home... an extra day in the hospital is not a big deal in the long run. Also, rehab will determine your ultimate success with the new knee and that can be hard if you don't stay on top of your pain. Ultimately your body will tell you when it's time to start backing off on meds. Best wishes.

8. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Utah
    tagged for interest. My wife is looking at replacing both knees next year.

9. Boogiefan

Boogiefan

Jul 2, 2011

In my experience (17 years in physical therapy), patients that have both knees done at the same time recover faster. Take your pain meds and do your exercises!

10. Thanks for the advice. Trust me they will not have to ask me twice if I need the pain meds. I have had 6 surgeries on that knee and I feel like a cripple. The big recliner sounds like a good idea. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy a new big soft man chair.

11. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Excellent advice above, from what my brother has said.

I haven't done it yet, but my brother did both knees at the same time. He got two weeks of intensive physical therapy at some specialized place and then continued the therapy. He was able to walk better than he has in years after it was over. He was very glad he did it.

Physical therapy is very important

12. I hope this works out for you, OP. Let us know how it turns out.

13. imSteve

imSteve NRA Benefactor

Feb 23, 2012
    Round Rock, Texas
    My step mother had knee replacement and the doctor told her to eat as many dark leafy green vegetables before the operation to help speed up the healing process - start as soon as possible.

good luck,
    get everything done before the socialized medicine kicks in!

14. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

Aug 28, 2004
    East of center, SC
    Lots of good advice here. A couple of extra points, though:
    -Go through the in-patient PT after the surgery. You get better equipment and therapy, but the big thing is that for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery, you are a huge drain on your family because you cant do anything. Also, the drugs/pain make you an irritable SOB.
    -Dont get out and do something stupid. About 2 months after the surgery, you will think that you gan get back to doing things you could 10 years prior. Well, you cant...yet!!

Good luck and only pinch the cute nurses. The big, ugly ones are mean!!:rofl:

Rod

15. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Don't know about the nurses. But the 'in patient' PT is what my brother had. It really helped him. Couldn't remember the name of the PT.

And double the DON'T DO anything STUPID. About a year after the surgery my brother went up on a roof and fell off. He's now a paraplegic, so the new knees aren't helping him anymore.

16. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Oregon..
    A year ago last August my wife had her L knee replaced.

This last September she had to have masssive scar
    tissue removed. In the morning she goes back in for
    more scar tissue removal. :faint:

Everyone is different as is the outcome. Don't take any
    surgery lightly even if someone says that it is a no brainer.

Obviously she is predisposed to recurring scar tissue.
    She has been in more pain since the implant than before.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    I haven't had it done but I do have a "Don't" for you:

"Don't" expect to like your physical therapist.

18. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    I had mine done two years ago. I was in so much pain most of the time I was pretty much lame. Now I am walking, riding a bike and doing stuff I hadn't done in 20+ years.

As others said, take your meds. I also suggest exercising your knee as much as you can before going in. The better shape it is in the easier and faster the recovery. And yeah, big reclining chair. Pretty much all you will be doing is your exercises, icing your knee and sleeping in your chair the first couple weeks.

I tend to have a high tolerance for pain and so was off meds in a pretty short time. However, you still can't do stuff right away, it takes time to recover. You will be surprised how much better you are each week compared to the week before.

Oh, one other thing, buy one of those high toilet seats. Bending your knee to get up and down off the toilet is pure torture. They have plastic ones that just sit on the bowl and and are about 8" high. Makes a big difference.

The other thing is that you will likely get discouraged and depressed a couple or maybe three or four weeks into it. You'll get through it just hang in there. Try to get out of the house once in awhile for a change of scenery.

I hope you have someone to take care of you. It is hard to recover on your own, if you have to cook and clean etc.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  19. yesitsloaded

yesitsloaded

Jun 13, 2008
    North Cuba
    This is exactly what I'd say so I just quoted.

2 years in for me too. Post-Op rehab the most important - you make or break the whole procedure with how hard you work in rehab. It took me till the last friggin week to hit my numbers (flexing and contracting) ... and I'm much better than new. But have friends who loafed through rehab and are still in pain and can't jog/bike/bend etc. like they should. So ... DO THE REHAB the way they tell you and you'll get the best possible outcome. :treadmill:

Remember we were on our backs post-op thinking the same things as you will be ... we got through it ... and we survived ... you can too!!!

Bet you can PM anyone of us who replied above and we'll talk you through the whole thing - day or night.

20. I've had two. Get a copy of the exercises online and begin them now. Use weights or a weight machine to increase strength. It rapidly accelerates your recovery. One to work on involves the muscles used to lift your let up without bending when you are laying in bed. I used a cable machine to strengthen those muscles. The first op...I didn't do that and found it not only difficult but very painful. The second op i prepared and it was a breeze.

First thing I did second op was immediately bend my leg as close to 90 degrees when I woke up and was in recovery. You'll be under heavy pain meds so take advantage of it. Because I was so strong the second time, I hardly used any pain meds. The recovery was much easier.

Longer term work is getting your leg to bend to 120 degrees.... that's the target and that can be a painful journey.