close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kitchenaid mixer

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Zak3056, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2001
    Greeneville, TN
    Just got handed my christmas present and it turned out to be a 6qt Kitchenaid Professional stand mixer. I'm pretty darn happy! ;f

2. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

You should be happy, that is a nice piece of kitchen equipment. :)

3. That is an EXCELLENT mixer. Ganache, brioche, home-made sausage....now..."you've arrived":)

What color is yours?

4. colorado23

colorado23

Jun 23, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I want one of those in that dull gray color but I have no where to put it. Maybe I should just get a meat grinder, I mostly want the meat grinder for sausage and rare hamburgers. Homemade bread is great too though...

5. The meat grinding attachment or "dye" I think it's called is excellent....especially when my friends drop off venison...I can make excellent sausage with that. Mine was built into the countertop...so it "flips" down when not in use so the countertops stay "uncluttered" (big peeve of mine).

6. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2001
    Greeneville, TN
    Mine is white--it was the only color they had when they found them at a decent price. They knew I wanted cobalt blue, but they suggested I enjoy it anyway. I plan to. ;f

Oh, they also got me the food grinder attachment that you're so fond of. :cool:

7. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

Dec 12, 2003
    around here
    I use mine quite frequently. One of my favorite uses for the grinder is for "white" yucutan sausage.
    Equal parts of chicken and pork butt, salt, pepper, cilantro, and jalapeno to taste. Grind it once with the big plate, and once with the small one. I usually freeze it in patties, but if you have the sausage stuffer, you can put it in links.

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Mmmm....that sounds really good;P

Might just have to try that. Thanks!

KitchenAid mixers are so nice. You will wonder how you got along without it for so long;)

9. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2001
    Greeneville, TN
    I'm ashamed to say I've had it for 24 straight hours and haven't used it yet! ;P ;g

I'm waiting until we get into the new house before I unpack and start using it. I admit, it's killing me, but my kitchen is a disaster area unfit for cooking. Christmas dinner was a stretch. ;f

10. hispeedlodrag

Dec 12, 2003
    around here
    quote:
    Originally posted by hispeedlodrag
    I use mine quite frequently. One of my favorite uses for the grinder is for "white" yucutan sausage.
    Equal parts of chicken and pork butt, salt, pepper, cilantro, and jalapeno to taste. Grind it once with the big plate, and once with the small one. I usually freeze it in patties, but if you have the sausage stuffer, you can put it in links.

I forgot about the garlic.

:)

11. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Nov 25, 2001
    Planet Earth
  12. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2001
    Greeneville, TN
    Kitchenaid also color matches all of their appliances. Buy a "Cobalt Blue" toaster, and ten years later buy a cobalt blue mixer, and they'll match. ;f

Okay, so here's my dilema: What's the first thing I should make with this? I was thinking chocolate cake, but I can do that easily enough with my whisk. Maybe cookies, where I can give that big motor a chance to shine? Some big fluffy desert loaded with beaten egg whites? Some nice italian bread?

I'm currently leaning toward cookies. ;f

13. hispeedlodrag

Dec 12, 2003
    around here
    I love this bread!

1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast

2 tablespoons warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

1/3 cup warm water

1 cup bread flour

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

2 tablespoons warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

2/3 cup warm water

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 cups bread flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

To Make Sponge: In a small bowl stir together 1/8 teaspoon of the yeast and the warm water and let stand 5 minutes, or until creamy. In a bowl stir together yeast mixture, 1/3 cup of the water, and 1cup of the bread flour. Stir 4 minutes, then over bowl with plastic wrap. Let sponge stand at cool room temperature for at least 12 hours and up to 1 day.

To Make Bread: In a small bowl stir together yeast and milk and let stand 5 minutes, or until creamy. In bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with dough hook blend together milk mixture, sponge, water, oil, and flour at low speed until flour is just moistened; add salt and mix until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Scrape dough into an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

Let dough rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. (Dough will be sticky and full of air bubbles.) Turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface and cut in half. Transfer each half to a parchment sheet and form into an irregular oval about 9 inches long. Dimple loaves with floured fingers and dust tops with flour. Cover loaves with a dampened kitchen towel. Let loaves rise at room temperature until almost doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

At least 45 minutes before baking ciabatta, put a baking stone on oven rack in lowest position in oven and preheat oven to 425 F (220 degrees C).

Bake ciabatta loaves 20 minutes, or until pale golden. Cool loaves on a wire rack.

14. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Nov 25, 2001
    Planet Earth
    BREAD, BABY! Did it come with a dough hook? Nothing like seeing that big ol' ball of dough coming together in a bowl. Yes, I'm a dork. ;f

Shoeless

15. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

Feb 21, 2002
    State of Confusion
    My wife and I got one for a Christmas present about 15 or 20 years ago. It was one of the first ones I saw. I thought "big deal;Q " another thing that won't be used. Well let me tell you, we still call it the best gift we ever got. I used to hate mixing mixes like the Toll House cookies that were very thick and hard to do. This machine makes short work of it.;f ;f ;f

16. MY wife and I got one as a wedding gift 38 years ago. It also had a life time repair or replace extended warrenty with it. September of this year we were sent a brand new white Pro model 550 as a replacement for the old one that I broke mixing dough at to high a speed. It gets used at least every two weeks. I bake bread on my off shift for that week and the week I'll be on shift. Also use it to grind venison every season. Good machine.

17. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    Quisnart food processer the big one.

I can dump the makings of a loaf of bread and some hot water in and in 50 seconds I have dough ready for its first rising.

on the second rising I shape it and put it on the preheated stone in the oven. You get the fancy european pbead that the bakeries want to charge an arm and a leg for.

18. lwt210

lwt210

Nov 28, 2001
    Alabama
    Kitchenaid mixer was about the worst thing that I ever got for the wife.

Nothing wrong with it, just that she makes some of the most wonderful cakes, cookies, breads, dumplings, etc with it. She luvs the thing.

Thing has put 20 pounds on me over the years. And I didn't need them.

I keep hoping the thing will break but it seems more durable than an anvil.

Today she made a red velvet cake (like three layers) with cream cheese icing and a big batch of chocolate chip cookies just for kicks.

Oh, make her stop.;f

19. nickg

nickg

Jan 16, 2002
    i got one for my wife LAST Christmas since she always wanted one. she loves it!! just a plain white one though.

some of the colored ones rock though!!