close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kimber Tactical Custom II .45 ACP and other options?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Polak, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Polak

Polak (pō'lāk')

Jan 13, 2008
    North Jersey
    I really really really like this 1911. Are there any other options for the $1100?

[​IMG]

2. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    The Springfield TRP is in that price range and a far sight more gun. My FIL has the Tactical Pro II and it wont go 100 rounds between FTFs. It's a shame because it is a pretty cool gun... light weight too. His other 1911 is a Taurus PT1911 and he carries that over the Tactical Pro if that tells you anything.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

3. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I have had two tactical II series pistols not to mention over a dozen Kimbers. After buying the first one, I developed a "Break in" process that works flawlessly. Its patented, so do not share it with anyone. :rofl:

Disassemble, put a thin coat of cheap white Colgate toothpaste on on the rails and the slide, the kind you get at hotels etc.

Re-assemble, run the action about 200 times, disassemble, clean and repeat.

Clean a last time, lubricate and voila

After the first go round, you should start to see some high / shiny spots begin to show. They are more prevalent in a gun with coatings (as opposed to a SS or Alloy and Stainless gun), these are often the cause of issues with new Kimbers.

I just bought a NIB Gold Combat yesterday and performed this very same procedure. The first 40 test fire rds were flawless, and they were reloads.

That said, I owned the gun you mentioned above, the frame is alloy on a steel slide. What are your intentions for it? Another Kimber no longer made is called a Gold Guardian. Only 300 made, but a beautiful stainless gun, hand finished with the same features as above minus the coatings. They can be had for the same $1100.00

If you seek something more economical, look at the Ruger. For $700, its not a bad pistol at all.

Whichever Kimber you buy, try the procedures above and I am confident it will alleviate the break in issues most Kimber owners have.

4. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    Virginia
    I have never heard of doing this. Does it work for any pistol?

Sounds like using a fine grit to polish the rails would be similar.

5. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

That's exactly it, but a grit so fine as to only remove coatings and polish metal. I have also heard of someone using a metal polish with similar abrasive factors.

In theory, is should work on any gun with tight tolerances between rail and slide. I just traded for a new Gold Combat yesterday. I performed the aforementioned process on it prior to firing the first round. After 200 rds of reloads, it runs like a scalded ape humping a singer sewing machine. Not one issue. Despite the price tag of such a pistol, I am hesitant to say it would have run as well had I not worked the fast eddie magic.:supergrin:

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Where are you getting a TRP for $1100 these days?

Used, I assume.

7. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Well maybe retail is a little more $.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine