close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kimber report -

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by klmmicro, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Well, just thought I would post my experience with Kimber that I have had for a while now. It is a Custom II with Novak "Combat Wedge" night sights installed. The only other mod is the wooden grip panels.

[​IMG]

So far, nothing bad to report. In the first month, it had a couple of issues that turned out to be magazine related. I have five WC 47D's and apparently two had weak springs. I had one of my magazines that would cause a occasional feed malfunction and another that caused the slide to lock back with the last round laying atop the mag lips. Wilson made good on my claim and all five magazines run perfectly.

I have heard plenty of "Kimber bad" rumors, stories, threads and opinions. My experience has been positive for over 4000 rounds of factory and reload ammunition. This pistol has fed every hollow point I have tried so far. It eats LRN, JHP, FMJ and plated bullets without error or issue. Maybe I got a defective one that works fine out of the box?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I have three Kimbers and they have all been 100%. That includes a Custom II.

3. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Considering the way it looks, and your description of how well it runs, might just be the perfect 1911. What more could one ask for? I've owned multiple Colts, Kimbers and a Springfield. All my Kimbers have run flawlessly! Wish I could say that about the Colts, but I can't. When it comes to 1911's, my pick is Kimber!

4. happy seal

happy seal

Apr 12, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the post. I'm in the process of deciding my first 1911. :dunno: :faint: :embarassed:

5. I was considering a Kimber until I read the other 1911 board. Looking at the Sigs now.

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    It sounds like my Cust II, it runs on everything after thousands of rounds. Even has the dreaded EE.

7. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    I think the 5" and 4" Kimbers are good to go. The 3" ones in my experience can be hit or miss..

I think the Kimber TLE II is one of the best values in 1911s under $1000

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    My Custom II was my best 1911 many years ago. It has had no failures or issues of any kind. I would trust my life to it. I think it is an excellent pistol and would recommend it to anyone. It also has thousands of rounds of Wolf too. Never a failure.

9. happy seal

happy seal

Apr 12, 2007
    Connecticut
    I read the same things about Kimber. I was looking at a tactical entry II but sort of leaned toward Sig because of what I've read. Always wanted a Kimber but a lot of hate

10. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    Congrats! Did Wilson replace your mags or springs? The 47Ds have weak springs to begin with and when 2 of mine were going bad, WC just told me I need to buy new springs. Since then I haven't bothered with WC mags although their ETMs are a major improvement over the 47Ds.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  11. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Not going to say there isn't any hate, that is apparent! I will go out on a limb, and say, the love, is ten fold!!!

12. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

I love all the Kimber hate. It keeps the prices down a bit on the Classic Customs. :whistling:

[​IMG]

13. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    I don't know about "Kimber hate". It is kind of funny that when someone gets one that works it's worth starting a thread over.:rofl:

14. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Statement of the year!!!!!

15. jwreck

jwreck

Jul 27, 2012
    I've had a TLE II for several years and I have been VERY happy with it. I would definitely buy another Kimber.

16. Wyoming

Wyoming

Feb 3, 2007
    Southwest Wyoming
    Well the hate continues in a good way.

About a month ago I bought a Kimber Classic Custom Heritage Edition. Best I can tell it was made in about 2000. the opening bid was $675 so I bid on it . No one else ever bid on it. It showed bluing wear from holster.

Now this gun has everything on a 1911 that I like and more. I'm left handed so ambidextrous safety is a must. Plain black sights, checkered front strap and most of all a great trigger just under four pounds.

Just over a week ago the weather was nice. I was able to hit a one inch square dot the first three shoots at 25 yards. My next two opened up to two inches. That is about as good as I can see with my 59 years old eyes. The ammo I was using was Federal 45 auto 230 grain HST.

This Kimber is another keeper. (I have six Kimbers) As for the minor bluing wear, I might send this pistol out to be hard chromed.

17. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Usually people *****ing about Kimber occupy the 1% who have a problem and go to forums to whine. The rest of us just keep shooting our guns and enjoying them.

18. Wyoming

Wyoming

Feb 3, 2007
    Southwest Wyoming
    Berto,

I have noticed that people that been shooting for a long time don't seem to have a many "problems" as new shooters do.

19. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

Simple fact is some people are not smart enough to own a 1911.