close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kimber or Springfield

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by FLSlim, Jan 30, 2011.

1. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    I've now got the 1911, 45 cal. bug (there is always some bug it seems!). My only 1911 is a Colt DE, but for price reasons (I want to stay around $650-750) I've been eying a Springfield Mil Spec or a Kimber Custom II. Any pro or con thoughts, especially from any of you who have owned both??? Thanks for anything you might offer.

2. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    I'll second that - especially for the price point.

3. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    I know im throwing a curveball, but i would pass on both. The STI Spartan and Desert Eagle1911 are much better offerings in the price point imo. Ive had Kimbers and Springers, not either of these models, and from my experience i think SA builds a better gun than Kimber in general. Some will disagree, and a lot will agree. However, The Custom II is probably a better gun out of the box then the Mil Spec

4. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    I agree about the RO. I would still take the Spartan over it, but definitely the RO before the DE1911, Kimber, or Mil Spec.

5. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Kimber Custom II is my vote. Lots of good choices but I think it is a great base 1911.

6. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    Well one is a GI type gun and one is an enhanced type gun. Which type are you looking for?

7. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Springfield Mil-Spec
    DE 1911G
    STI Spartan
    Springfield RO

All GREAT choices in that price range. Personally, I'd go with the Mil-Spec or RO as both are great out of the box and would be really good baseguns for some down the road upgrading. SA has a fantastic custom shop, great customer service, and warranty.

8. Nickpisp

Nickpisp

Oct 12, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Range Officer for sure unless it's going to be carried. Personally I don't like target sights on a carry gun.

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I agree.

10. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I've had good luck with both Kimber and Springfield 1911's. While I'm not a huge fan of the plastic mainspring housings in the Kimbers, I'm not a fan of the key lock in the Springfield mainspring housings either. I replace both.

I will say that I'm much more a fan of the Series I Kimbers than the current ones, where the newer Springfields are a bit better than the older ones in my experience. Personally, I like the Springfield Range Officer suggestion. It seems like a relative bargain.

11. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    A NM serial number Springfield because I do not prefer the SII parts in the Kimber. I'd (likely) take the Kimber SII over a non-NM Springfield. But, I'd take a Kimber Series I over pretty much any SA under $1k. In fact, I have. That's my answer. Happy?

12. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

13. spectre04

spectre04

Jan 30, 2010
    SC
    As most above have said, go with the range officer. I owned one a month ago and only put 200 rounds through it, but it was about the best shooting 1911 I've had. Sure it lacks some things that it's more expensive brothers have, like Front Cocking Serrations (FCS- I don't like them), front strap checkering (actually a very nice feature on a comp or carry gun, though Wilson Combat makes an checkered aluminum piece that covers some of the front strap and secures under the grips), and an ambi-safety. None of these additions add or detract from it's shooting ability and shouldn't be deciding factors for a 1st 1911. I sold it for two reasons: 1) the sights pretty much void it as a carry gun. I do love target sights, however these bite back during some drills. 2) I don't care for parkerizing; I'm a stainless guy.
    If I had been in a position to afford both it and my Kimber stainless pro raptor, I would have in a heartbeat.

14. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I'd go with the Mil-Spec.

Unless you really like the LPA adjustable sights, I'd pass on the R.O.

If you want a beavertail and better sights, have it added to the Mil-Spec later. Springfield's custom shop does great work.

15. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    Thanks for your thoughts GTers! More food for thought. I had mulled over the Springfield RO and for a range gun (I'm happy with my Glocks for carry), it comes nicely equipped but with a little higher price. The ROs seem to be pretty hard to come by--I guess because of its newness.