close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kimber Eclipse Ultra II 3" - Failures

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Glock30 Guy, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Dec 21, 2009
    SC
    I bought my new Kimber last week and have fired about 600 rounds of FMJ thru it. Day 1, I shot 150 with no issues at all, I was thrilled. Day 2, after a good cleaning, I shot 200 rounds but experienced 6-7 failures to load the next round. The slide popped/stuck open and locked and didn't load the next round. I pulled back on the slide and it then loaded that round. Came home, cleaned it again and went back today. Same deal....250 rounds and maybe 6-7 times it failed to load either a random round or the last round. I'm using both Kimber and Wilson Combat mags. It happened with both. Dealer said it may take 1000 rounds to get this thing broken in. Otherwise, it shoots like a charm. Any advice? Not real happy about having to spend $400 dollars in ammo on getting it to work well enough that I can trust it with my life.

2. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Just asking, is the slide locked back with the slide lock engaged when these stoppages occurred?

3. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  4. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Dec 21, 2009
    SC
    No, I dont think so. I just pull it further back and release...it then loads that round. Maybe limp wristing? Never was an issue with any other model. I was trying to keep it steady after I had a few failures too.

5. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Dec 21, 2009
    SC
    For the first 400 rounds it was FMJ Blazer 230 gr. Then I wanted to try some other rounds on day 2 in case it was the ammo so I used Winchester SXT, Golden Sabre, and a few Hornady rounds I had.

6. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    If it is engaging the slide lock then it is one of two things. Both are easy to correct.

If not that....I'd have to see it as it is too hard to diagnose over the errornet.

7. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Dec 21, 2009
    SC
    There was never a bullet or case holding the slide open so the slide lock must have been engaged. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the details I was so pissed off. I looked down and saw the next round still sitting at the top of the mag just waiting to be picked up. I pulled back, the slide lock released, and the round chambered without an issue. Advice?

8. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    One of two things.

#1You are hitting the slide stop with your left thumb under recoil causing the stop to engage. Don't get upset, that is a very, very, very common cause with new 1911 shooters. Just try shooting it again with caution to were your left thumb is.

#2. Is the bullets are coming up the magazine and hitting the lobe of the slide stop form inside the fame. Look in there, you will see what I mean. Again, Kimber was semi famous for this awhile back. They will even send you the "New, revised slide stop" in the mail if you call. Either that or a 5 minute job with a file. Easy nevertheless.

Next time you shoot it and it stops...you stop and look it over reallllllly good and take pics or describe in great detail what is going on and I'll try to help over the stupidnet or on the phone.

Either way, keep us informed.:wavey:

9. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Dec 21, 2009
    SC
    It might be #2. I was very cautious about my left hand and thumb placement. Kept it very low. I'm going back again tomorrow with another combo of ammo to see what works and what doesnt. I'll call Kimber too and have them send me the part if that helps. Thanks for the info. I do like the gun but have never ever had to go thru this with any other gun. Most are simple and work right out of the box. Looking forward to trusting this one too.

10. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    If it started doing it again, try shooting the old "tea cup and saucer" grip. It is a terrible way to grip a gun but it will let you know in a heartbeat if you are hitting it with you left hand somehow. Just use it to take hitting it with your left hand totally out of the equation.

11. WRXcelration

WRXcelration

Sep 29, 2008
    DC Metro Area
    I had the same issue with Kimber when I 1st started shooting. My thumb engaged the slide stop and it would not hold the slide back on the last round.

12. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Dec 21, 2009
    SC
    Went to the range again last night...made sure to keep my thumb away from slide lock. Fired as you suggested. Still had about 8 failures to load with 200 rounds fired. Slide does lock open while there are still more rounds to go. I pull back and release and it loads just fine. Seems to happen with any type ammo. Used 5 types including +p. Should I keep dumping money into firing more rounds, already did over 1000. Or should I send it to Kimber to see what's up. I'm beginning to think this just isnt worth it. I like the gun but between the cost of the gun and now all the money in ammo, I could have bought three trouble free Glocks.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  13. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Nope don't fire another round. Take it to a smith or send it back to Kimber.

14. MGK3

MGK3

Jun 8, 2007
    Illinois
    Had the same problem with a new kimber Eclispe Carry 2. I understand this has been a long term problem with Kimbers. Different mags didn't seem to help with the premature lock backs. Kimber sent me new slide stop still no luck. I did a little research on the internet and found a solution. File back the slide stop where it contacts the round.
    What I did was remove the slide assembly from the pistol. With the slide stop in place insert a loaded mag slowly and you should see the slide stop move it up. This is not good, it should only move up when the mag follower pushes it up. I took a file and worked the slide stop where it contacts the round until it stopped moving up. Make sure the round is fully forward in the mag, so you can see where it fully contacts the slide stop. Be careful, go slow and it should fix the problem. Don't take off too much or it will you won't be able to lock the slide back on an empty mag. That's all Kimber is going to do. Polish the area when done. Put a little cold bluing on the slide stop where you filed it to protect it. Beside, slide stops are cheap, I used a Colt Govt model slide stop on mine. Any Gov't model slide stop should work.
    I also drilled a small detent hole on the side of the slide stop where the plunger spring contacts the slide stop for aid in this effort. Now all is good without a trip to Kimber.

The gun is amazingly accurate and joy to shoot, worth trouble.

MGK

15. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Dec 21, 2009
    SC
    Went to the range again today and had the same issues. Gunsmith was there and this is also where I bought it. He took it this morning and haven't heard back yet. I'm not going to file down anything. If this is a know issue, and Kimber is aware of it, I either want it fixed professionally or I want a refund. A gun that costs over $1000 should not have such ridiculous issues right out of the box. I am very sour on Kimbers right now. The idea that I have to start filing down components is a joke. How can I possibly carry this gun and believe in it.

Update: Just talked to Kimber. They are sending me the replacement slide stop...it takes a week to get here. They only ship via regular mail. Also checked to see when it was manufactured. Jan 2010.

16. MGK3

MGK3

Jun 8, 2007
    Illinois
    I feel your pain. At least you know what needs to be done, whether, you, your gunsmith, Uncle Charlie, Kimber or whomever does the work.

Problems with new 1911 are not exactly rare.

Kimber sent me a slide stop that did nothing to fix the problem, therefore I took care of it myself. Good Luck

17. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Kind of sours ya huh? Me TOO! That and other things is why I despise Kimber these days and don't recommend them, especially to new folks.

You: My gun is locking back for no reason.

Kimber: Yeah, we know. It is a problem we have had for over a year and haven't done anything to fix it. BUT, we will send you your new revised slide stop we have to fix your problem that we are too stupid and lazy to actually start using at the factory. The part will get there in an week or two, enjoy your paperweight until then.

That sound about right?

18. VanguardMP

VanguardMP

Nov 21, 2006
    Texas
    Yeah, my wife's UCII did the samething. I called Kimber and they sent out the new slide stop, but I got it within a couple of days. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long. It solved the problem. You'll enjoy it even more after you change the slide stop out.

VMP

19. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Dec 21, 2009
    SC
    Yes Hail Cesar, that is exactly what they said. Yet I keep hearing that the slide stop change will do nothing. She said IF that new part doesn't work, call back and arrange to have it shipped to them for repairs. It will be weeks of gunsmiths, testing, fixing and waiting before it's fixed. Right now it's with a local 1911 gunsmith who works for the place I bought it. He seemed to be aware of what caused the problem so if he files something down at least he knows what he is doing. When the new part arrives, I'll use that too. It's such a shame that such a beautiful gun has to start off with these issues. Kimber makes 70,000 gun a year and were fully aware of this issue. When it works, it a pleasure to shoot and just as nice to carry. Given this experience, I dont think I'll ever buy another Kimber. I've fired 10's of thousands of rounds from my Sigs and Glocks over the past 20 years with never one problem. I can't even get this one to fire 20 rounds without the slide locking back. I had such high hopes. Just goes to show you that the cost of a gun doesn't always mean better quality. Makes me love my Glocks even more now.

20. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    A couple strokes with a file should take care it. I don't blame you for being upset but this is a fairly easy problem to take care of.