close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kimber Compact Stainless II

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by JEEPX, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I am thinking about buying a Compact Stainless II. I like the 4" barrel, and the short butt.
    Once proven reliable, it would be used for CCW.

Before spending my money, I would like your opinions on this pistol and on Kimber.

I appropriate any help.

2. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    It is a good gun. But go ahead and order the (correct ) Wolf spring for it now.

3. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Therein lies the argument. You will get a lot of differing opinion about this regarding Kimber. Personally, I'd look elsewhere, but it's your dime. If you want a Kimber, go for it.

4. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    I might look at the STI Guardian or the DW CCO first........

5. Rimcrew

Rimcrew

Mar 17, 2009
    AZ
    Not a Mimber Fan; take a look at the Baer Stinger.

6. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    These are 2 wise individuals. STI Guardian would be my first choice. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  7. My experience with Kimber, is a Seris 1 Royal. It has been flawless.

The consensus seems to be that the Kimber, is not worh it.

I have no experience with either of mentioned brands.

I do know that GT Distributors in Rossville carries STI. I have seen them but never handled or shot one.

The Les Baer I have no experience with either.

I have safe full of HK's, but only the one 1911.

My daughter is starting at UT Knoville this fall. Money is not tight, but I do not want spend 2k on a pisol.

Thanks for the replies

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  8. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Buy STI with confidence. Best bang-for-the-buck 1911s and excellent customer service if it is ever needed. The Guardian runs $1k.

Bravo on your choice of HKs btw. :thumbsup:

9. hokieshooterG23,

I will look seriously at STI. GT does carry them. I can stop by after work. I like that. By that I mean, I can actually put my hands on them and handle them.

Thank-you for your help.

10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Well, I'll step up and give Kimber some love. I haven't had any issues with any of mine, and I have a several. The Compact makes for a great CC 1911. I haven't swapped any springs to make mine run, but I do recommend using either Wilson or Tripp Cobra mags. I also break my Kimbers in by running them REALLY wet, and racking the slide without a mag in the gun about 200 times before I ever even fire a round through it. Shoot about 250 rounds of factory 230gr FMJ, then run 50-100 rounds of whatever you plan on carrying in it and you should be good to go. If you want to start off with new springs, it can't hurt, but I never have. :wavey:

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I see you're in Georgia, are you going to stop by Adventure Outdoors on Cobb in Atlanta? They have a ton of STI's in stock. I was working down there last summer and that place is loaded with guns, no pun intended, :cool:, with guns. They have most models made by STI, or at least they did. :)

12. When I do get toward Atlanta, I will have to check this Adventure Outdoors out. :cool:

GT Distributors in Rossville, carries STI. They are right up the road, and only 15 minutes away

13. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    No problem. I'm not bashing Kimber by any means. I had a Pro Carry 2 and had no problems at all with it. There are just better options IMHO.

14. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Kimber is a good gun most of the time, but priced too close to better guns. I have (current tense) a Compact Series 1 that's excellent. Had (past tense) a Series II 5" Target which was fine. But, I'll not buy another Series II. FYI: The current standard Compact has a aluminum frame, which is not for me.

15. Poorshot

Poorshot

Nov 10, 2006
    Georgia
    I was in GT today and they had a few STI's and two Kimbers. A Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II with night sights and an Ultra Carry II with night sights. I am buying an Ultra Carry II/NS tomorrow from one of their customers. I have a Pro Carry II that I love and have never had a malfunction. It is my favorite 1911.

16. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing a Kimber, the five I've owned have been everything you'd want from a 1911!:wavey:

17. The Compact/CCO arrangement just doesn't balance well for me, so I carry the 3" guns and get along great.

I have an older Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry that has been completely reliable.

[​IMG]