close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kimber and Customer Service. Or lack there of

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Range Guy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Range Guy

Range Guy

Sep 8, 2008
    Just got off the phone with Kimber. I bought a Pro Crimson Carry about a month ago. I carry the gun most days since I bought it. The slide on this gun looks like crap already. The holster wear I have is horrible. First guy hung up on me. Second guy had the same B.S as the first guy. Then in a nice way I was told if I wasnt so cheap and carried $200.00 holster instead of a $30.00 holster, the slide wouldnt be worn. But hey I was offered to send it back and pay $50.00 to have it refinished. Pay $50 to have the slide refinished that is a month old if that. Yeah right. I would never recommend a Kimber to anyone just based on there customer service.

BTW when I explained my Glock, M&P, or Sig had VERY little to NO holster wear I was told "maybe I should of stuck with one of those guns"

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA

3. Range Guy

Range Guy

Sep 8, 2008

Well I hope you dont ever have to. I'm debating selling the Kimber just on the fact I think there CS SUCKS. I'm big on CS and when someone treats you the way they treated and acted towards me. Well F me NO F THEM. Cant wait until someone at the range I work at ask me where my Kimber is.

4. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    You put a gun in a holster, carry it around, and it will get holster wear. Some more quickly than others obviously. Nice of them to refinish it for $50 though.

:wavey:

5. Range Guy

Range Guy

Sep 8, 2008
    A month and a gun wears. I dont think so. $50 bucks is there standard charge for that type of finish on a slide or $100 for the other finish they have. Funny I bought a pre-owned Sig (Sig doesnt refinish used guns before resale) it looks brand new. My M&P was carried by me for almost a year and my stepdad for a year and half EVERYDAY and it had less holster wear. Guess with Kimber you dont get what you pay for.

6. Ol' Dirty

Ol' Dirty

Jun 26, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    That's kind of uncalled for. My customer service experience wasn't as bad as yours but the finish does leave something to be desired. I made a holster for my custom II, left it in there a little too long and developed a nasty rust spot on the slide. It's off getting a shot of gun kote right now.

7. LabTech

LabTech Village Jackass

May 23, 2005
    Scenic southeast Ohio
    I had a rather good experience with their CS although it was not a finish issue. I love my UCII.

And...I'll give ya $100 for that crappy finished Kimber.

8. zdragon23c

zdragon23c s&w&me

Dec 23, 2007
    usa
    seriously....i swear the kimber thumb safety finish would wear out just by looking at it.:supergrin:

9. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

Oct 6, 1999
    Virginia
    I don't understand the rpoblem. if you get it refinished, it will need it again in amonth if you carry it. I have a S&W 642 that is that way. it's a tool that may save your life. it does shoot, right?

Stick to a Glock and the nice patina it develops!

10. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I'm still a bit steamed at Kimber's cs myself.

I had a TLE II that would fail to feed about 5% of the time. I got nothing but attitude from them. After they "fixed" it and sent it back, it only failed 2-3% of the time.

:steamed::steamed::steamed:

Never another dollar from me.

11. Range Guy

Range Guy

Sep 8, 2008
    Yeah you get what I'm saying. it's easy for someone to say there .02 about over reacting. But hey its 1000.00+ gun not 499.00. It shouldnt look the way it does after only a month.

12. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Jun 14, 2005
    Ohio for now
    Kimber's Customer Service or as you correctly call it a lack of service is typical. If you want to keep your Kimber send it off to a pistolsmith who is willing to work on a Kimber and offers refinishing. Kimber will just have you spend a lot of money on shipping and refinish it with the same worthless finish as before. Kimber spends their money on advertising and entertaining gun whore writers.

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Damn that's jacked up man, I have never had to deal with their SC so I cant say one way or another:alex:

14. Range Guy

Range Guy

Sep 8, 2008

Exactly.

15. DaveA

DaveA

Jul 31, 2006
    Proabably at work
    As much as some people hate them, that's why I usually get a S&W. Thir customer service is legendary. Glad to say my 1911 from there doesn't show a spot of holster wear from my Glaco's...and they're snug too.

16. HI
    I have a pro raptorII the safety finish I think came off after the first range trip.
    I called Kimber the gal I talked to sent me a new one no questions asked that was fine. I did not put it in yet I'm going to wait till I trade it in.
    I called them a week later because I have at 4 to 5 ftf every 200 rds. theykep telling me to put a few more rds thru it it will break in and be fine.
    Well I'm up to about 2500 rds and still get 2 to 3 ftf from a 200 rd shoot.
    I'm not going to keep calling and get the run around so I'll use it as a range gun till I find another Springer or S&W 1911 and trade it in. I wanted for a carry weapon but it can't be trusted.
    I have heard from a lot of people that their kimbers are not up to snuff. I guess I will never buy another Kimber.
    Maybe thats why they only come with a 2 Year warranty instead of a lifetime.
    Live And Learn!:crying:Expensive mistake!

17. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    You too. I've had nothing but trouble from Kimbers over the last two years. No more and never again.

18. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005

That's awesome!!!

My wife went out and bought an Ultra Carry II Crimson Trace Model. We took it to the range once. After the second day the sights and slide started to rust.

The slide was the worst because it started to pit.

I called Kimber and told them what was going on. They told me that "It's a gun, it will rust." I told them that we've had the gun for 3 days and it's been to the range once. I asked them to please fix the problem. They said "Sorry we don't warranty the sights. You can send the gun back but it will cost 150 dollars to replace the sights and about 200 for a refinish. Also you will have to pay for the shipping both to and from us. Now if that's what you want please just send the gun in. If not I don't know what to tell you."

I told them that we paid 1200 dollars for this weapon. I refuse to pay anymore when it's not the owners fault for the rust. They said "Well I don't know what to say."

We ended up selling the Kimber. At a huge loss. I've tossed around the idea of getting another Kimber. But I really don't know. They have great weapons but their CS sucks bad. This isn't the first time I've heard about Kimber CS being horrible.

I have a friend that was a die hard Kimber fan. Had about 10 of them. He kind of went through the same with rusting when he bought the Desert Warrior. Same problem with CS.

He doesn't own anymore Kimbers.

I feel for you brother! Personally, I would send it to Wilson or Nighthawk and get their refinishes done to it. Keep the gun. If it hasn't failed you don't get rid of it.

It's a pain in the ass, I know. But if the weapon if good don't get rid of it.

Just my .02 for ya.

On a side note, I sent my Wilson CQB in to Nighthawk for a little work. I'll tell you this...It's the best damn 700 bucks I've ever spent!!!

+1 Zillion to Nighthawk Custom!!!

19. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I'll just point out that mine was a stainless, so no finish problems...

I really wanted to like that gun. Fit and finish was very good, and it was really accurate (when it would run right...).

I too sold mine for a loss and got a Springfield TRP. Flawless out of the box. No break in required (but it sure was fun anyway).

20. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

Jul 14, 2001
    Can you post a picture of the wear? What kind of holster do you have?