close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kimber 1911's

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by JoshuaC, Jan 1, 2010.

1. JoshuaC

JoshuaC

Jan 26, 2008
    Maricopa, AZ
    After much consideration and a few close calls, I'm finally ready to pick up my first 1911.

I really wouldn't mind a Dan Wesson 1911, but they aren't sold locally. All I can find around here are RIA's (Really appealing) SW's, Kimbers, and some ugly PT1911's. (No offense to those who like them)

I like what the Kimber had to offer, and really wasn't put off by the $850 price point, but I've always heard of sketchy guns coming from them.

So what do you guys have to say about the new Kimbers?

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Never a problem.

The Custom II is their entry level model and a good gun for the price.

[​IMG]

3. mkmckinley

mkmckinley

May 28, 2007
    Seattle
    I had a really good Custom II and I can fully recommend that pistol to anyone looking to get into 1911's without breaking the bank. It had very solid lockup, was unfailingly reliable, and accurate as all get-out.

4. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Jul 4, 2005
    I have had experience with two of them. One was a complete POS that did not work the other was excellent. I will never own another.

5. JoshuaC

JoshuaC

Jan 26, 2008
    Maricopa, AZ
    That's the exact model I'm looking at. The more I read the more I get a little worried. There's some pretty bad Kimber horror stories out there.

I know every manufacturer goes through problems, and that's fine. But have these cleared up?

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I have two other recent Kimbers and none of them have given me any trouble.

Pro CDP II-which I carry nearly everyday

[​IMG]

Super Match II-Kimber's current top of the line model

[​IMG]

7. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    I'd buy one in a second if they ditched the front serrations.

8. PHB

PHB

Apr 5, 2008
    Missouri
    If this is your first 1911 I would suggest you get the RIA these guns are a reliable entry level gun and perform very well and for the price you can not go wrong, you may find that a 1911 is not for you this way you are not out a big chunk of change to find that you do not like the platform. I have 2 RIAs one 5" and one Officer model and both perform very well.IMHO

Good luck stay safe

9. JoshuaC

JoshuaC

Jan 26, 2008
    Maricopa, AZ
    I personally like the front serrations. I'll let a few more people weigh in, but one way or another I'm gonna be heading home with a 1911 of some make tomorrow, or Monday.

@bac1023, did you keep the plastic MSH on your Kimbers?

10. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yes, they aren't an issue.

The Super Match comes with a steel MSH, but it retails over $2K.

Kimber isn't the only 1911 builder to use them. Colt, STI, and some others use them on their less expensive models.

11. zdragon23c

zdragon23c s&w&me

Dec 23, 2007
    usa
    kimber customII....my all time favorite 1911
    [​IMG]

12. Glock Swabbie

Glock Swabbie Gun Tradin' Foo

Aug 8, 2006
    Augusta, GA
    Thousands of failure free rounds through my Kimber Custom II, I recently installed some Novak Night Sights... its one of my favorite range plinkin carry guns!
    My Custom II loves wilson combat 8 round mags too.

13. Glock Swabbie

Glock Swabbie Gun Tradin' Foo

Aug 8, 2006
    Augusta, GA
    Also.... and I could be wrong, but much of the Kimber problems stemmed from the EXTERNAL extractor models. My custom II has the internal extractor and I think that is why it is so reliable. It eats all kinds of factory and reloads with no probelms. I can also credit my success with this gun to properly breaking in this gun per Kimbers instructions.

14. JoshuaC

JoshuaC

Jan 26, 2008
    Maricopa, AZ
    That is absolutely beautiful! If I do end up with the Kimber, I really wouldn't mind putting a set of grips like that on it.

Are the stock Custom 2 grips plain plastic?

15. zdragon23c

zdragon23c s&w&me

Dec 23, 2007
    usa

Thanks.....
    base Kimber comes with factory rubber grips.

16. JoshuaC

JoshuaC

Jan 26, 2008
    Maricopa, AZ
    I really enjoy a rubber grip on a handgun. Tough choice!

17. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    The Custom II's should sell in the lower $700's. At 850 your getting stole from.

18. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I have had two Series I Kimbers, and three Series II Kimbers. I've never had a problem with any of them. I've also trained with Tacoma PD a bit, and they love their Kimber Pro Carry II's.

I will say that I've always had internal extractor models, and run them almost exclusively with Wilson 47d magazines. That might be a factor in my success. Their external extractor was a bad idea (which is why they don't make them anymore), and a lot of guys use really crappy magazines with predictable results.

19. JoshuaC

JoshuaC

Jan 26, 2008
    Maricopa, AZ
    I've been spectating the different 1911 forums and haven't seen any abnormal amounts of complaints about the newer Kimbers being bought. I'll definitely keep the magazine tip in mind when I buy it.

Now I just got to hope my local shop is open tomorrow.

20. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Do yourself a favor and buy a DW online and have it shipped. MUCH better gun, better fitting and better parts.