Kicking Tires On A 1911 Pistol... Thank God for Glocks

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by coleslaw, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is an interesting thread. I have owned many 1911 pistols and never experienced any of the problems listed in the op. Maybe I need to buy a few more to see if I can find a total POS.

The cheapest 1911 I ever owned was a Brolin Arms L45. It was accurate and I never had a single issue with the gun. I wish I still had it but I was a poor college student that needed cash.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Prior to the 1911 pistol, the military used revolvers, one being a .38 double action. During combat in the Philippines (Spanish-American War) the ineffective stopping power of the .38 cal was regrettable proven by the Moro tribesmen during close quarter fighting. The military reactivated older retired stocks in .45 cal that could stop an attacker.

It was this battlefield background that prompted US military testing and subsequent requirement of sidearms using the 45. Improvements in gunpowder and auto-loading pistol designs were incorporated into the Army's 1906 testing. The rest is history as the Browning designed Colt pistol was officially accepted by the Army in 1911. The M1911 was the first reliable auto pistol of it's day and proved is service in countless battles until the Beretta M9 replacement in 1985.

A weapon of historical and service longevity is going to have a significant following with good reason. The 1911 has not been a static relic, design improvements and model offerings have made a remarkable handgun with enduring popularity.

Rest easy my friend, it's reasonable to use caution when purchasing a used 1911. Having a check list of potential issues to evaluate pistols of unknown origin/condition along with user modification in a design that's been copied within it's hundred-plus years of production is a good thing. I suspect that when the G17 reaches these ages there will be a similar, albeit smaller list of concerns.

The 1911 of it's day was as revolutionary as was the 1982 Glock Model 17. No doubt, innovations and progressive technological enhancements will produce the next "revolutionary" weapon that will have the Glock crowd either changing and/or clinging to a nostalgic remembrance of the good ol' days.

I like the 1911 for what it is and I do own Glock, Beretta, Sig and Ruger; each have unique qualities and none perfect.

#42 willieH, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. Not that I'm lazy to do a search, well maybe I am. What's this guy Yeager's background? I hate the generic "trainer" term. Worked alongside a lot of "trainers" who were frankly a waste of space.

4. He said he only has Glocks and HKs, I believe. :dunno:

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

^^^
    [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------

IMNSHO: Colt's finest -

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

#45 byf43, Dec 8, 2012
  6. I bought a 1911 one time, and it was so sucky... It actually had a barrel that was bent 160 degrees, and a mag that loaded backward... When it was fired the person behine me got shot by the brass casings, and the action would eject the bullet..

7. DonD

I don't own any 1911s but it's not for a lack of respect for the design. People have their own preferences but to suggest the 1911 is a poor firearm or one that is excessive fragile requiring extensive maintenance is laughable.

Guns that don't work don't last 100 yrs. Poor firearms don't create the virtual explosion of popularity the 1911 has seen in the past 20 yrs.

Guns aren't like cars or computer processors, 1911s work after 100 yrs just like Remington Model 700s after 50.

My son is LE and teaches CCW and snipers in his off hours private business. He just retired one of his 1911s after over 150,000 rds. He replaced a few parts here and there but nothing major. Don

8. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Even after the OP's expert post I'm still dreaming of 1911's:dunno:

9. +1. This is a guy alot of us turn to for a resource on information, is quite respectable, and a cool dude. Show a little love :cool:

I'm not gonna join in on the hateful banter, but say that 1911 is indeed a fine pistol, and all the ones I've ever bought or considered buying, were used. None of the ones I've inspected (quite a few), have had a few (I've seen a couple, that were BEAT. I mean, abused.), but not many of those traits to be weary of. Sure, parts can break as with any mechanical device, and glocks are no different, man.

There's also checks you should do with buying a used glock, to be sure it's safe and able to fire. Such as checking your recoil spring's wear, inspecting your barrel for bulges, etc. All used guns should go through a safety inspection by someone who knows what they're looking at, before it's shot. That's not just 1911's.

Keep an open mind, is all I'm saying. There's guns out there that aren't safe, and shouldn't be considered buying, sure. The 1911 is not one, as a platform.

10. Recoil magazine is a strange rag. I never heard of the Yeager guy until a few weeks ago,watched a partial you-tube video and forgot about it until today's thread. I've owned several dozen 1911s thru the years and only had to tune maybe three extractors,replaced one broken MIM slide stop (swore off that brand of pistol) and throated half a dozen older Colts so they would feed hollow point ammo available at the time. Other than that I've never had any trouble with them. YMMV. tom.:cool:

11. OP, it's better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.:whistling:

12. Did this just really happen?
    Let's ask one of the most knowledgeable and biggest contributors of info on the 1911 platform what he knows about 1911s. :eek: I have to get me a copy of this magazine and enroll in some personal training from Yeager ASAP!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. Recoil magazine??? That's your "go-to" source for information??? Uhm, ok, whatever floats your boat I guess. So, who is James Yeager anyways? Never heard of him. However, I HAVE heard of Chuck Taylor and Jeff Cooper though and both of them were strong advocates of the 1911 so while I have no problems with a Glock, HK, M&P, etc. I also have no problems with the 1911 either. Maybe this Yeager guy just isn't a gun guy and has a lot of problems?

#53 USMC03Grunt, Dec 8, 2012
  14. The 1911 design is a good and workable design, there is not denial of that by anyone that looks at the history of the design. It is however, one that is not as simple as the Glock and other striker variants. One issue is that there are lots of manufactures, each has made some changes in the design and materials.
    If you buy a new Glock, you know exactly the quality of the parts and the QA on the gun. You also know that based on reputation that Glock will fix any problems.
    There are 1911 pattern guns made in many countries sold under many different brands. Most of them seem to be made up of parts from different places and suppliers. Now, if you buy one of the name brand guns then you will probably get a well made tool. However, expect to pay more than the price of a new Glock. I think that probably the exception is the Ruger SR1911 made fully by Ruger in the US and sold at a street price close to a Glock.

My point is that comparing a Glock to a 1911 pattern gun is sort of an apples vs oranges comparison.

15. The OP probably thought he'd get our whole-hearted support this being a Glock forum and all. Sorry pal Glock owners are well-rounded gun enthusiasts. Id like to see how they'd react on 1911forum.

Sent from my DROIDX

16. Sure glocks are generally workhorse pistols & i love all 5 of mine, but they have their share of issues. The 1911 is a timeless work of art. I don't understand how anyone can try & take away from that. Furthermore it's a piece of our history that will never die. Even if the 1911 isn't for you & you don't want to own or shoot one. At least give it a little respect.

17. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

I had a G21 that never did run right, even after coming back from the factory.

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If simple maintenance is a Glock's forte then why can't I wash it in a dishwasher and have it come out functional?

Or if a Glock is so toughly built then how come the .40 caliber ones kept grenading in people's hands?

#58 fnfalman, Dec 8, 2012
  19. Here he is in all his glory.

What a buffoon. :upeyes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE"]1911s Suck Part I - YouTube[/ame]

20. #60 joecoastie, Dec 8, 2012