Kicking Tires On A 1911 Pistol... Thank God for Glocks

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by coleslaw, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My guess is that at least some of the guys who are satisfied that their gun is the best choice and others are no where near as good are actually very insecure about their gun or brand and like reinforcement from someone else or sometimes from themself in a post. I suspect that reinforcement helps reduce the anxiety or perhaps subconscious insecurity they have about their chosen gun or brand.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED!
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

I would imagine he was so taken aback from not finding a 1911 hater audience here. That he probably went to expound the virtue of the Glock elsewhere.

3. Most likely...

4. What, the Hi-Power? J/K - but now you're just trolling in the opposite direction.

5. OP was hoping to find a receptive, 1911-hating audience here on GT, oblivious to the fact that many of us actually have held, used and own 1911s, as well as Glocks

Wrong assumption

Perhaps his most recent experience with guns involved caps or water

6. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one that can't see any logic behind the OP's post considering he's never even owned a 1911.

How the hell can someone formulate a opinion about something they've never owned? :dunno:

If the OP was paying any attention in the last few years, he would know that Glock has been plagued with many problems as well. I've owned many 1911 pistols over the years. Some have been good and some have been bad.

Just like anything else, you get what you pay for (with very few exceptions.)

I've had nothing but good experiences with the semi-custom and full custom 1911's and mostly bad experiences with factory 1911's.

That doesn't make me hate them nor would I say they are a poor choice for a defensive handgun. Many people trust their life to one on a daily basis and for good reason. They work.

As for me, I'll pass on the 1911 for a defensive handgun for many reasons but mainly because I don't care for any single action handgun in general.

The OP feels that the Glock is a better choice over the 1911 and I feel there are better choices over the Glock.

Opinions are like arse holes. Everyone has one and thinks their opinion is the only one that doesn't stink. :supergrin:

7. Almost everyone has read articles against the 1911 platform first, but you must also read articles in favor for the 1911 second. I've visited 10-8 blogs and Modern Service Weapons blog, and critics agree that a properly tuned 1911 will run reliably for years. I'm proud to say the critics didn't talk me out of owning a 1911. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. In the end, it's just a matter of preference really.

#187 mikalglock, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  8. The OP had trolling on his mind.

In his last paragraph, he pretty much stated that in so many words.

9. I felt that OhioGlock90 calling you a “jerk” is totally unwarranted. You are one of the last individuals on this forum to deserve being called a “jerk”. (If someone called me a jerk, I would plead guilty. It is in my nature. In my line of work, people came to me because they wanted a "junkyard dog" that wanted to rip the opposition apart, limb by limb, not someone who is warm and fuzzy)

I routinely see you complementing people and trying to make them feel good about a firearm that they recently purchased or own.

Nor have I found you to be niggardly (and for you brain dead illiterates with a reading vocabulary of a sixth-grader, that is not a racial slur) with your knowledge and I have observed that you routinely seem to be willing to help. I find you to be gracious and kind.

RJ

10. The single thing this thread has accomplished has been to make me want my first 1911 that much more. Fail, OP.

Was very impressed with the Ruger SR1911. But also very impressed with the Colt next to it.

Guess I'll save my pennies and surprise myself.

#190 LawScholar, Dec 10, 2012
  11. Agree completely.

12. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I couldn't have said it better myself!

:agree::thumbsup:

#192 NEOH212, Dec 10, 2012
  13. Much appreciated RJ

You offer a lot of great insight on the forum.

14. I am coming late to the party, but I always get a laugh out of the 1911 arguments.

We seem to live in a day where I am right and you are wrong. Therefore, I am good and you are evil.

In the 1911 argument it is either.

A. John Browning invented the greatest sidearm of all times when he made the 1911. All future designs are inferior.

B. The 1911 is as obsolete as a Model T and you should never trust your life to one.

Good vs. Evil depending on your point of view.

In reality both statements are extremely wrong. Read a history of the U.S. Army standards that led to adopting the 1911. John Browning didn't want a grip safety but the Army did.

Today's 1911 is greatly improved from the original model. Even the Army quickly moved to the A1 in 1924.

Yet, firearm design did not stop. Today we have many great sidearms to choose.

I am trying to keep this post short.

The 1911 is not the greatest sidearm as there is no such beast.

It is one of many great sidearm you can use. It is up to you. If it works for you, great! If the Glock works for you, that is also great. There is no right or wrong answer.

My VW Jetta has a diesel. To me it is perfect. My neighbor's Jetta has a gasoline turbo. To him it is perfect.

I have both the 1911 and Glock. So I am fickle!

Freedom and choice is great.

15. Well as long you don't intend to ever use it in self defense and only as a range gun you will be fine. I mean I like the 1911 too but until it has some real world combat testing, say in every clime & place that you can take a gun :usmc: over say a century or so with say millions of troops then I would not trust it as a platform for self defense.

When it gets that under it's belt I will be a believer. Until I will stick with that grandaddy of all handguns the Glock. I mean hell the Glock was killing them Krauts back in WWI you know :)

#195 Ruggles, Dec 10, 2012
  16. :goodpost:

17. This thread is making me want a 1911 again. I am liking the colt XSE commander.

18. That's a good choice. I have one myself.

19. :D I see what you did there

20. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I don't know about that. I think ole' coleslaw makes a good point. Maybe I got it all wrong about this high priced, fancy pants 1911 thing. Besides, I'm Glock2740! What am I doing throwing all this money away on these unproven 1911's, when I've got all these Glocks?!? :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.