close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Keltec now refuses warranty work for non-original owners

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by holesinpaper, Dec 11, 2011.

1. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Nov 18, 2009
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    To be fair, many manufacturers are like this in a variety of products.

3. craig_o

craig_o CLM

Nov 20, 2006
    Not confidence-inspiring? What product retains its warranty after you sell it to someone else?

4. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Nov 18, 2009
    It is not common for a firearm manufacture to issue a statement saying "We now will automatically refuse service."

Most seem to avoid a written policy, but continue to take care of any reasonable issue regardless whether it's the original owner or not. Like Glock, Ruger, Winchester, etc.

To say "yup, u be screwed" is rare in the gun industry imho.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  5. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid Grape flavored!

Mar 1, 2010
    I have some of their stuff from the 1990s, and have no idea where the original sales receipts would be at this point.

So I guess it's no warranty, or pay "overnight" shipping (so it can sit in Florida for 2 months) PLUS $40 + parts on top of that?

Even though I've never needed the warranty, that irritates me since they know the majority of people won't have this documentation.

So much for "Buy American."

6. BossGodfrey

BossGodfrey

Apr 27, 2010
    There guns are crap to start with. I'm surprised they warranty them to begin with. I spent the extra few bucks and got the LCP.

7. TexAg

TexAg

Jun 26, 2004
    DFW
    Mistake on their behalf in my opinion. Several manufacturers offer lifetime warranties, regardless if you're the original owner or not. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but Leupold and Zeiss spring to mind.
    And for one of the above posters, if you sell your car under 3 years, 36,000 miles, the warranty goes with it doesn't it? That's a simplification of course and there are many different warranty types and ways companies chose to honor them. Kel-tec is kind of a small player in the market and has a few knocks against them (slow to bring product to market, issues with products), but their warranty was something you didn't have to worry about. Guess you're effed if you didn't send in your "registration" card?

8. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Nov 18, 2009
    A lot of gun manufacturers either:

A) explicitly state the warranty follows the gun ala Taurus, High Point, etc.

Or

B) have no written policy, or state a 1 year warranty or original owner only ... but they act as if there is one that follows the gun -- not the original owner ala Ruger, Glock, Winchester, Beretta, etc. These guys simply take care of a problem, and it doesn't matter if you're the original owner or not -- despite what their official policy says.

Keltec chose C. I don't know another firearm manufacturer that has adopted such an explicitly stated position.

C) "Sorry second owner, you're screwed." Based on their questionable quality control, the need for F&B's to make many of their guns run right... this change in policy is not confidence inspiring. It also implies the level of trust Keltec places in their own products imho.

I'm not a Keltec basher, they do what they do well -- but their products have a higher number of problems than the products of other gun manufactures in my experience.

Most of above are just facts. Hard to argue with that. Do your own research into the warranty policies of other firearm manufactures.

9. Electrikkoolaid

Mar 1, 2010
    add "Sorry first owner, the resale value on your pistol just dropped."

10. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    I've never bought any of their firearms, but now I know I won't.

11. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Nov 18, 2009
    [QUOTE="Cold Dead Hands" !;18270698]Thanks for the warning ![/QUOTE]

NP. I was disappointed and shocked to learn of the change.

I figured many people didn't know, and it's an important tidbit to know if you like buying used guns.

12. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Nov 18, 2009
    Yup, true enough.

Now to second owners, it really is almost a disposable item. Shipping costs alone, plus minor repairs, will probably eat up the cost of the gun real quick.

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    It's kinda telling. You warranty good/working products. You do not warranty POS products or else the time to fix, replace, and ship them will kill your profits.

I think Hi-Point may be one of the ONLY exceptions. Cheaply made guns but awesome CS and, at least in my experience, they actually work!

My experience with Kel-Tec has been horrible. They "fixed" my gen 1 P3AT 2 or 3 times and it STILL didn't work. As someone else did, I spent a little more and bought an LCP. I even TRIED...HARD!...to make this gun jam...I couldn't do it!! Now THAT is quality and a good feeling which is why it is now my CCW pocket gun.

Major faux pas Kel-Tec. Speaks volumes to your self-confidence in MANY areas (initial quality, gun smithing, durability, etc.) Will it sink the company? No. Because those that can't afford Glock will still be drawn to them. Those that have had good experiences (read: luck) will still buy them.

-Emt1581

14. Electrikkoolaid

Mar 1, 2010
    I went to look at parts on their website and was greeted with this:

[​IMG]

You would almost think they were trying to kill any customer loyalty they have.

I guess the bean counters have taken over and are going to ruin another American business.

15. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Mar 17, 2005
    I don't have any of my original receipts. If I needed to prove original ownership, would I be able to get copies of the transfer forms I filled out when buying them? I own three Kel-Tecs and two came from Impact Guns via a local dealer, and another came from a local Gander Mountain.

16. gocubs6

gocubs6

Aug 16, 2010
    Springfiel Armory

17. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
  18. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    I'm surprised they did it for so long.

................With the internet, people were calling them and asking for repair work on non existing problems that they read something about and thought they had the same issue that really wasn't a problem.

..................Also, people have been doing their own gunsmithing - trigger jobs, ramp polishing etc. Why should Keltec have to deal with that.

...............Read the boards here; there are some gun buyers that are the cheapest people in the world. They buy a $250 gun, don't read the manual about a break in period and then expect the mfg to pay for shipping both ways and repair when the gun doesn't go into battery once after the first 5 rounds!

Modern guns take a pounding and keep on working. Gun mfg customer service has improved becaused they realize their reputation can be soiled by any keyboard Komando or youtube expert who thinks they know everything about guns since they got a high score on World of Warcraft.

19. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010
    About 1 month ago I sent my Sub 2000 to KT. I called them first they said send it in with no questions asked. I am the second owner. I did pay shipping to them no big deal. Also now I am grandfather because it been fixed by them.