close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Kelly McCann???

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by skippz, Mar 6, 2010.

1. skippz

skippz

May 29, 2006
    East Kentucky
    I realize 1st hand training is the best and I wish I had the time/money to spend on it right now but if you guys were to substitute some dvd's how do you think this guy's training stands up??? Is there someone else I should be looking at or will this suffice until I can receive proper training?

2. Ok Prdator

Ok Prdator

Dec 17, 2007
    Yukon OK

Some parts of them are okay but I do NOT like his weapon manipulations!

I would suggest Concealed cary for self defense by Tom Givens http://www.rangemaster.com/ ( look under books and dvd's)
    And Yeager Fighting pistol. http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/171

These should get you on the right track.

3. Davidkxx

Davidkxx Armed Response

Jan 22, 2002
    RI
    Check out my Armed Response series

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  4. Kelly is one of the real BTDT folks, with a VERY solid record behind himself and his training programs. Highly recommended.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  5. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    The new Magpul "art of the dynamic handgun" 4 disk DVD box set is out now and I got mine for the same reasons you mentioned about training on a budget.

Absolutely amazing DVD as far as detail and content for the price of $49. They cover basic handgun skills with a 19 year old girl all the way up to combat hardened Marines who rarely get handgun training at a high level. They even have a dedicated DVD on CCW and gear.

I like the way th e2 instructors bounce off each other to cover the mindset a theory behind handgun fighting.

As for Kelly McCann/Jim Grover. I own his "self offense tactics" DVD. I am a very visual learner vs lots of dialog. McCann talks and fights hard at the same time. Even though I have the Magpul DVD, I might still buy his fighting handgun DVD. I like his saying..."the key word in gun fight is FIGHT"

I also like Gabe Suarez and plan on getting his fighting shotgun DVD.

A big part of training is if the instructor is "mentally" connecting with his students and I feel these guys I mentioned connect very well on the DVD format.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  6. Clayton Hufford

Clayton Hufford

Dec 9, 2000
    I have all of Kelly's DVD's and they are all worth owning. He is the best instructor out there IMHO. With that said, the Magpul DVD's are a best buy. Highly recommended.

7. ncglock19

ncglock19

Jan 6, 2010
    Apex, NC
    Which one of the DVD's is best to start with? The Paladin Press site is fairly large.

joe