Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Keeping HD shotgun loaded?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by CourtCop, Oct 17, 2010.

1. CourtCop

CourtCop Millennium Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Brodheadsville, PA
    My wife just bought me a Remington 870 Synthetic and as I am new to shotguns I would like to know how all of you keep yours loaded for that "bump in the night" scenario.

Should it be:
    A)chamber loaded, magazine loaded, safety on
    B)chamber loaded, magazine loaded, safety off
    C)chamber empty, magazine loaded, safety on
    D)chamber empty, magazine loaded, safety off

I am leaning toward "C"

I should mention I will also be using a trigger lock until I can pick up a better means of securing it from my two little girls. The Mossberg Lock Box, ShotLock and TufLoc are all possibilities. Anybody have a preference there?

Thanks in advance guys.
  2. Havasu

Dec 19, 2009
    LHC, Arizona
    I'm a "D". Living alone matters.

3. KK40384

Jun 19, 2009
    D as long as you don't have kids snooping around that could get a hold of it.
  4. bklynpete

bklynpete Viet Nam Vet

May 15, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    OK, I've never owned a HD shotgun, actually the only one I have is a Stoeger that I used for Cowboy action shooting. I would think choice A, but I see alot of keeping the chamber empty on posts. Why? I wouldn't think of keeping my HD weapon with an empty chamber. Just want to know the reasoning behind this. I of course don't have kids in my home.

5. aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    D - I kept weapons this way for my entire adult life. I never used a trigger locking device as we kept the Master bedroom door locked and had a lock on the bedroom closet. These were quality dead bolt locks. Our children were not allowed in our bedroom and the door was locked when we were not present as was the closet. Both of us carried and my duty weapon was hanging on a peg in a duty belt in the closet. Of course when home at night the doors were unlocked as a weapon is of no use if it can not be deployed when needed.

Everyones situation is different and some laws require those devices in some states. Having a stay at home mom helped later as the kids got older. We had no concerns about ours but as they got older they had other kids in the housing visting and that was a concern. You have to do what is right for your situation.
  6. spyder1969

spyder1969 NRA/FOP Member

May 25, 2009
    C- That is how I roll, but I train that way, so I can do it while sleep walking.
  7. Havasu

Dec 19, 2009
    LHC, Arizona
    I do it partly for safety, but I also want anyone snooping around my home in the middle of the night to hear the shotgun rack. I suspect I will be home alone right after that happens.
  8. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    D. I keep it that way in my safe because I have kids. But if I lived alone or with no kids it would be that way in my closet if I didnt own a safe yet.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  9. Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    First I make sure chamber is empty on my Remington 870

Then I load up the magazine

Take safety off - and pull the trigger (dry fire)

Store it in my bedroom safe which gets unlocked before bed - but is locked all day.

This way if I need the gun - all I need to do is pump the action - since I dry fired the gun - I do not need to mess with finding / pushing the action button or turn safety off.

I do not have small kids - daughter is 21 - but IMHO it is a bad idea to leave a loaded shotgun in the closet WHEN YOU ARE NOT HOME.

I know if I store a loaded gun in the closet before bed I would forget to put it back in the safe.

No way I want to come home and get shot with my own gun - keeping it is the safe at least gives me some margin of safety.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
  11. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Jan 15, 2002
    I use the first option.
  12. Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania
    D is the way I keep mine. I download 1 in the magazine and have a side saddle so I can choose the first round if necessary. (Buck or slug).
  13. KalashniKEV

Sep 24, 2003
    A and tell the kids not to touch it.

Esp if you're going to use the trigger lock.
  14. Thats what I do too. May be considered over concern about the hammer spring but I keep all of my guns that I can hammer down.
  15. JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    Same here. No kids so I'm good with this set up.
  16. Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    My primary defensive tool is my handgun but I keep a shotgun in the keypad safe in close to C from the options.

I keep one shotgun chamber empty, hammer cocked, magazine tube full minus one shell, on safe. I like hammer cocked so I know the bolt won't move around with out deliberate action. The mag tube down by one allows me to pump in a slug easily if I need to and may be easier on the spring but that is often debated. The shotgun has a 6 shot side saddle with 2 slugs and 4 00Buck. Giving me a total of 9 00 buck and 2 slugs as my grab if time allows weapon. If I am awake I have a Pistol on or next to me. At night that one is laying on the floor next to the bed with another in a push button lock box in the bedroom.

If a hurricane is bearing down possibly leading to social order issues I might ready more stuff or locate it differently but in my area I don't think it will be an issue.
  17. D.

It is also called "cruiser ready" as cops call it. In the middle of the night and half asleep you do not want to fool with a safety or worse forget it's on.
    The simpler the manual of arms the better

my .02
  18. dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
  19. sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    All my "defense" shotguns are stored in condition D. Two of them are in Mossberg Loc Boxes, which requires having the action open. I highly recommend the loc box. It's one of the cheapest, is very secure, and reasonably fast to open. There are some caveats, however. You cannot have a sidesaddle on your gun if you're using a loc box. In many cases, you can't even have a butt cuff on the shotgun ( if you have a baseboard ).

20. El_Ron1

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    It's a D thang. Know your respective gun's controls by feel and touch in the dark. Otherwise, you might find yourself pressing the safety on instead of off.