close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Keeping cilantro fresh

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by The Pontificator, Jul 28, 2007.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator
    Expand Collapse
    Angry Samoan

To me, cilantro is always an enigma. I can't grow it for squat. It always bolts even the non-bolting variety.

If I buy a bunch at the store, I use a smidgen to make a batch of salsa and then storing it in the bag I bought it in, it's slimy and rotten by the time I'm ready to use some more.

I've solved the problem:

Rinse bunch in cold water and shake off most of the excess moisture.

Loosely roll up the bunch in 2 paper towels, then looseley roll up the paper-wrapped cilantro in the plastic bag from the store. At 10 days it's still in great shape!

No doubt works with Italian flat-leaf parsley as well.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus
    Expand Collapse

Nice. I've been storing stuff like that in those airtight vacuum sealer containers. They work but take up some space. I'll give it a shot.

3. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

I might have to try that ;)

i buy big bunch and like you by day 4 it's black. So whatever I buy I use it on everything, meats,rice,eggs,etc......

keeping cilantro is a challenge.

4. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock
    Expand Collapse
    Mountain Man

I buy cilantro every time I go to the store. My wife will say "but I just purchased some" - yeah - well good I am buying more!

Ponti's advice is good. I also found that by chopping up all my cilantro, and placing the amount I don't use into a baggie, that keeps fairly well also, though I would rather wait to chop it until just before I cook with it. Freezing it also works, though I will only use the frozen cilantro in cooked foods, not in fresh salsa. We also started making extra salsa and freezing a bunch; the frozen salsa is great in Mexican casseroles, or on pizza.

Cali's Mexican Pizza:

14" pizza stone
    four 14" tortillas - use an egg base to "glue" them together
    1/2 can of tomato paste mixed with a couple tablespoons of pureed canned chipotle. (I puree a can and then place it in a plastic baggie, and then freeze, and I break off what I need for cooking)
    a bunch of cheese
    a pound of cooked Italian sausage (or your favorite meat)
    a bunch of salsa
    more cheese
    Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees!

WONDERFUL!

5. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia
    Expand Collapse

The latest issue of Cooks Illustrated suggests soaking the roots in cold (not warm or tepid) water for ten minutes, then wrapping in paper towles. However, I store cilantro by putting it in a small wide mouth jar in the fridge with about an inch of water. I then wrap it up with a plastic bag and secure it with a rubber band. I can keep cilantro for 7 to 10 days this way. At the end, you may have to wash off a few black leaves, but it is still fairly good. After about 10 days, it's time to throw it out and buy more.

6. spero525

spero525
    Expand Collapse
    HE did it.

This is very good information.

I've been doing battle with keeping cilantro fresh for the longest time...now I might finally gain the upper hand!

7. tavo

tavo
    Expand Collapse