close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Keep it or sell it: Classic collectible vs. cool factor

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jame, May 15, 2012.

1. jame

jame mange takk

Apr 6, 2002
    Central Iowa
    I own a S&W M16-4 in .32 H&R Magnum that I bought new in 1993. It's probably 90%, in the box, all original paperwork, etc. It's been my pride and joy for years, but seldom fired. It sits in the box, in the safe. A real beauty with some real value, and as I get older, I realize that my kids will never understand what they've inherited if I keep it 'til I die.

I'm considering selling it to buy an AR type rifle. I'm just starting to think that I might get more pleasure out of a rifle I shoot more often that the .32.

I don't just want to save up to buy another gun. I have enough already, and the safe is already stuffed. And I can sure as hell live without an AR as well. I dunno.

Thoughts?

2. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    If it means something to you, keep it - even if it just sits in the safe.

If you are keeping it and intend to pass it to someone who doesn't care one way or the other, sell it and enjoy the money.

Heck if the kids are going to scatter your collection to the wind, sell the collection yourself and enjoy the money. JMO.

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    AR's are a dime a dozen. I'd hold on to the Smiff.

4. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I have a S&W in 32S&W Long. It is not a cool gun. It is not a fun gun. It is not a functional gun. I inherited it so, I can not sell it.

You on the other hand have purchased an uncool, non-fun gun, that is not really good for anything. Sell it.

BTW, I have ARs. They are more fun, but if I had you S&W, I would buy another revolver. For me it would be in 357, 44mag or 460.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  5. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

32 magnum is a pretty useless cartridge, and in a K frame revolver, a pretty useless caliber.

If Smith were to design a smaller frame than the J frame and used the 32 magnum.......well, that has potential to be a huge success. That's a pipe dream, though.

I'd sell it, and get that AR you want.

ooc

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I wouldn't sell a classic for a dime a dozen plastic rifle.

No way

7. +3,

I wouldn't sell it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
  9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    So what if you don't shoot the wheelgun often? It's pride of ownership. If your kids were smart, then they'd know that you will have something special to pass onto them.