KB! In New G20. Ideas? What Next?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by pasky2112, Aug 29, 2012.

1. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Plated bullets used to be a much cheaper alternative to jacketed bullets. They don't seem to be cheaper these days, so I wouldn't bother with them if I bought bullets, which I rarely do.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I would think that all the rounds should have been weighed for a new gun. Glad you didn't get hurt.

3. pasky2112

pasky2112 Senior Member

I owe u an apology. I responded to your idea of spinning a fired case in my bbl by stating I'd never have even been able to fit one in the chamber in the first place. I was thinking case gage, not bbl. sorry :-(
    So, I tried your suggestion. I CAN plop the fired cases in the chamber. They turn freely. It brings me back to my original thought that the cases looked normal. I believe an overcharge got by me, as a few have suggested.

Thanks a ton for all your input, everyone. I've learned a few things and I hope this thread is a cautionary tale for those looking to reach max loads and beyond.

- Dave
  4. Dave,

Initially, I had reservations about suggesting the potential of your powder drop randomly throwing an even higher charge than you had setup. I did not want to assume that you had not measured each and every case since you were in the initial stages of testing your recipe. I think it is probably common for reloaders to figure that, since it threw 20 accurate charges, why would it throw one higher or lower.

5. Thanks, and I am glad you learned some stuff.

;)Could you PM Zombie Steve, Jack, Whisky and a couple others. Just so they know I was right. I would hate for them to miss it.;)
  6. Which is a very good reason to stay 0.3 gr to 0.5 gr away from max. Leave a little room for powder measure variation.

7. Gee... recommended Min to rcommended Max... the spread on 320/124gr loads is sometimes .3gr to .5gr
    #127 SARDG, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  8. Sometimes that is exactly the case. But I still try to stay away from max. I don't use the V320 powder but even the other powders don't have much range. This is particularly true for pistol reloading.

But it seems to me if the load is at max and the powder measure hiccups, there is a possibility of a serious overcharge.

9. dkf

I stay away from powders like that.
    #129 dkf, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  10. Oh nuts... when I asked what Kool-Aid to drink everyone said blue 'cause Dillons are purrrfect and powder-throws are consistent and accurate. :faint: :)

...but a lot of people stay away from 320 - based more on price, than limited charge spread.
  11. I think it may also be based on availability from the LGSs. They simply don't stock high $ powder. To even try VV powder you are practically forced to add it to a bulk order from somewhere like Powder Valley. And then there is that HazMat fee! You really can't buy just a pound to try it out.

So, I just ordered a pound of N540 for .308. Sierra calls it their accuracy load for the .308 175 gr BTHP. I'm in!

But I also bought 8# of IMR 4064, a pound of Varget, primers and some bullets. I need to spread that HazMat fee around.

I have been loading .45 ACP with 4.8 gr of 700-X since '82. I don't see any reason to change so I may never get to try VV powder in a pistol. But the most it could add to the cost of a reloaded round is about a penny. Two cents on the outside. When the bullet costs thirteen cents, who cares about another penny?

12. pasky2112

pasky2112 Senior Member

I'd venture to say they know your always right, anyway! ;-) but I'll dot the T, anyway just for you. :))

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
    #132 pasky2112, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012